Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Help! What to do now  (Read 4344 times)

Glass.half.full

Help! What to do now
« on: January 20, 2014, 01:10:04 PM »

Afternoon ladies,  this is my first post but not the first time I have visited this brilliant website.   I am 46 and peri menopausal.  Have had heavy periods for 3 years with breakthrough bleeding around the time that I should be ovulating.  All my smears, pelvic ultrasounds have come back normal.  Last January I started with palpitations, the first time it happened I was sitting in bed reading when suddenly it was like I was climbing a mountain - my heart was racing.  Had a few more episodes of racing heart then it settled down into a pattern where I get hop skips and jumps around the time of my ovulation (or lack of) and my period.  Ive also had a few night sweats, terrible grumpiness, lack of libido and that feeling of "why have I just walked into this room?"  My GP has suggested HRT would help but I feel like I am giving in if I take it.  Is this a normal reaction or is it just me?  I'm normally such a happy, well-balanced person but honestly I feel like I can't make a decision to save my life at the moment.

Any advice greatly appreciated - thanks :)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 01:13:47 PM by Glass.half.full »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Help! What to do now
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 03:49:51 PM »

:welcomemm: have you read the menus, left of screen?

Giving in - to what exactly  :-\  ??? ……… sometimes our bodies require oestrogen and HRT is the way to go.  Although this is a 'natural' time of Life it can be jolly difficult and uncomfortable!  If you are hungry, do you not eat  ;): if you have a headache, do you not take a pill?  so with The Change, it is important to glean as much info as possible and then make an informed choice.

At least your GP suggested HRT, some GPs won't  ::)

We have threads on doing silly things, depression, anxiety attacks - the search button will take you there so that you can find out how other ladies cope/not.  It took me years to accept that I have to take an anti-depressant for Life, now I swallow it without thinking about it ;-)

Glass.half.full

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 04:56:59 PM »

Thanks CLKD for being so level headed (that would have been me a year ago!).   I know I need to go onto HRT and am just being a bit of a scaredy cat (my New Years resolution was to be brave for goodness sake).  I must admit that my reluctance is mainly down to worrying about the side effects........

mamakaren

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 05:02:44 PM »

Hi,

I am currently trying to find the right HRT for me and have not worried about it! in my opinion, my quality of life due to my menopausal symtoms makes HRT comepletely necessary. I will take chances with any side effects it might cause. Especially if the HRT makes me feel like living again!

I guess you have to personnally weigh how your symptoms are affecting your life and decide if it's worth it for you!

Good luck!

Karen

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 05:27:23 PM »

Hi and Welcome Glass,half,full.
Modern life is busy and stressful so if you feel you need HRT - go for it - CLKD is absolutely right.  you may have to kiss a few HRT frogs before you find the HRT prince that makes you happy.  If you go for the pills, I would try Femiston which comes in different strengths and has a kind progesterone. - or  -  as you are peri perhaps try the Oestrogel+Utrogestan route so you can start on a small dose to supplement your own hormones and then increase the dosage if need be.  Another alternative to Utrogestan for the progesterone bit of HRt is the Mirena coil as you then have a contraceptive as well.  You may not have any periods with the Mirena after the first few months as well which can be a plus - it doesn't suit everyone but might be worth a try.
Soak up all the info - you will feel soooo much better.  DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 05:28:11 PM »

Also if you find something that works, if it helps all well and good but sometimes GPs are reluctant to prescribe HRT after a certain age. So make the most of what the GP offers?  also there might be side effects so some ladies have to try several 'types' before finding a product which works for them.  Why suffer symptoms if there is help 'out there'? Why lose out!  Of course we worry about side-effects, I had lots of problems with ADs until the GP and I found a drug which helped without my feeling worse!!!!

Have a browse round - we have a 'funny' room too  ;)

Glass.half.full

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 08:12:10 PM »

Hello ladies,  thank you so very much for your advice.  My GP has prescribed FemSequiSeven what do you think? 

Dancinggirl

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 09:46:12 PM »

Hi Glass.half.full
It will be worth trying this patch but it has got a synthetic progesterone type that gives some ladies a bit of PMT. Many ladies like the patches because side effects tend to be less - so this one may be a good one to try.  GEt back to us in a few weeks and let us know how you are getting on. Good luck. DG x

mamakaren

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 10:01:31 PM »

Sorry...What's PMT?  :-[

Cazikins

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 10:40:06 PM »

Pre Menstrual Tension.
x

mamakaren

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 04:17:14 AM »

Oops sorry. I'm from Canada and some of your words/abbreviations are a little different than ours!   ::)

Ju Ju

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 08:32:16 AM »

Oops sorry. I'm from Canada and some of your words/abbreviations are a little different than ours!   ::)
He he! Had some amusing conversations with my lovely American daughter- law! Language and cultural differences are subtle. ;D