Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: New here - GP has suggested Yasmin to help symptoms  (Read 8647 times)

Liverbird

New here - GP has suggested Yasmin to help symptoms
« on: January 20, 2014, 12:23:39 PM »

Hi everyone.  I'm 48 and for the past couple of years have been getting increasingly severe mood swings and more recently the insomnia and night sweats started.  Periods still regular.  My GP started off prescribing Qlaira but it didn't seem to do enough, so he suggested I go back on the combined pill (Yasmin) to regulate hormones instead.  Anyone else using either of these instead of HRT?  I've googled Yasmin and to be honest I'm not 100% sure about it although it seems to be doing the job.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: New here - GP has suggested Yasmin to help symptoms
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 12:28:35 PM »

:welcomemm:  browse round, have a read of the menus, left of screen and you can use the 'search' button (top left) to put your Product in and see if any related threads pop up.

walking the dog

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 05:11:05 PM »

Liverbird

when all my meno problems started i looked into everything i asked my fab female gp about both the  contraceptive pills you mentiones ad i have regular periods but she said that she has found the pill often makes those in peri meno feel worse and she told me not to consider it, I would ask why you cant have hrt

xx

Liverbird

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 11:56:23 AM »

walking the dog

Thanks for that.  I have to admit Yasmin seems to be working but it just doesn't feel right and the pill free week is tough.  I know Qlaira is marketed as both HRT and contraceptive but I think I'll go back and have another chat with the GP.

x

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 06:31:13 PM »

Hi Liverbird

:welcomemm: from me too

That's just it - with any of the combined contraceptive pills, the pill free week is bound to be difficult especially if you are getting short of oestrogen because your levels will really drop. With HRT you have no pill free week.

However I think it can be more tricky to even out mood swings etc if you are still having regular periods.

The Qlaira contains quite a high dose of estradiol - similar to what you would get on HRT, but the different tablets have varying amounts. When you say it didn't do enough - how long did you take it for and what happened for you to decide this? With HRT it is usually recommended to take it for several weeks for the body to settle - re flushes and sweats so you would need to give it time.

Good idea though to discuss again with your doctor so he can help you come up with the best treatment for you - sometimes it does take a while to find the right one.

Hurdity x

carolinec

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 06:43:35 PM »

Hello Liverbird, you sound just like me, and I have been thru the mill with doctors and getting strange prescriptions etc... like you I have a regular period but all the symptoms of the peri menopause....I am going to an alternative GP tomorrow, so I will let you know what he prescribes, it may give you some ideas as to where to turn to next....blessings and enjoy rest of your evening.

Liverbird

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 11:40:42 AM »

Thanks Hurdity and carolinec, I will be keen to see what your GP has to say.  I tried Qlaira for two months (8 weeks), it seemed to stop the night sweats but I was still getting mood swings and anxiety so I asked for something else in the lead up to Christmas.  I guess I should have given it longer.  Think I'll go back to the GP - she's lovely and I think quite willing to listen and work through the options.