Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan - do I really need it if I'm having regular periods???  (Read 3059 times)

Clovie

Hi Ladies

Hello all, not been on for a while. Hope everyone is OK?

Just a basic question -
We take progesterone to initiate a bleed after taking oestrogen, right?
Do I need it if I'm having regular periods of my own?

Well, I've been fine on my oestrogen but the last 3 months I've started having regular normal periods again. I've always had breakthrough periods in the year that I've been using HRT, my periods went irregular for a while but seem to be back now??? how long that'll last for I've no idea  :o

I haven't taken the Utrogestan for these 3 months because I've been having a bleed without them??? Do I still need to take it to stimulate another bleed?? I'd be anaemic!  ;D

Can anyone answer??

Thanks!  :)

Dancinggirl

Re: Utrogestan - do I really need it if I'm having regular periods???
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 05:42:22 PM »

Hi clovie
Very baffling!!!! I assume you are peri meno? Are you using Oestrogel or patch?
If your periods have come back perhaps you don't need the oestrogen either as you must be producing enough progesterone to create a bleed.  I would get this checked at the doctors - perhaps there are other reasons for the bleeds.
I was peri from my mid 30s and never had a bleed without the progesterone from the age of 37.
Hopefully others will be along soon who can advice.
DG x

Clovie

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 07:13:46 PM »

thank you Dancing Girl - it is indeed baffling!  :o
I'm kinda glad you find it baffling too!  ;D so it's not just me  ;D

Yes I'm peri, 50 years young  ;) and I'm on 2mg Oestrogen tablets, Elleste Solo. I've always had breakthrough 'periods' of my own, missed the odd one but never stopped for long in the 14 months or so I've been on HRT.
I'm off on holiday next month so I think Ill make an apt on my return...

Be interested in anyone else's thoughts on this???

Cassie

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 08:08:23 PM »

Lucky you :) If you not having any symptoms such as hot flushes etc and are having your own bleeds still then why take HRT, I would give it a break and see how things go, agree re the Utrogestan, it would be silly to use that if you are shedding your own lining without medical intervention :)

Clovie

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 08:26:06 PM »

hi Cassie!  :)

I was having horrible hot flushes and anxiety was a bit out of control, that's why I took the HRT to start with, just over a year ago. My periods were still there but irregular-ish.
I certainly don't want the hot flushes again, but I won't know if I am still getting them if I don't stop the oestrogen will I?
I'm sure this spate of regular periods won't last though, I'm going to see how I feel when I get back from my hol in March  8)
don't want anything messing up until my holiday is over!  ;D
certainly baffling!?!?

Cassie

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 08:39:57 PM »

Ah ok, so sounds like you are in peri with the hot flushes and irregular periods. I agree, get your vacation over with and then see how it goes without the tabs, only then will you truly now how far you are into the journey, good luck, keep us posted :)

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 05:28:22 PM »

Hi Clovie

You are right that taking the progesterone does stimulate the bleed, but to be precise it is the falling progesterone that casues the bleed to happen.

What progesterone actually does is to prepare the womb lining for implantation with a fertilised egg - and it does this by changing the lining from "proliferative" to "secretory", in a dose dependent way. In other words the more oestrogen you have, the thicker the lining will be, so the more progesterone is needed to do its job so that all the lining can be shed.

During peri - there are sometimes anovulatory cycles - ie there is no ovulation as the ovaries begin to pack up - and it is the ovaries that mainly produce all the progesterone after ovulation. This means that you are more likely to be having too much oestrogen than too much progesterone (while your ovaries are still partially working) so if you are taking extra oestrogen, then as I understand it, yes you will need extra progesterone to prevent the lining from getting too thick.

It will explain all of this better here - in Dr Currie's article on Peri-menopause:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/article-perils-of-the-perimenopause.php

As to whether you need oestrogen - the amount of oestrogen also fluctuates but gradually declines as you go through peri-menopause. I haven't read enough about levels to know whether, if your periods have started again naturally for a while, the oestrogen levels are back to normal and sufficient - but many women - myself included - found that the horrible symptoms of flushes and sweats stopped when my periods came back or even when I had just one period in a gap of no periods.

That's a bit of a long answer and more like an explanation but hope it's helpful all the same!

Holiday - now that sounds nice! Where are you going?

Hurdity x