Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Hi - another newbie saying hello.  (Read 2894 times)

merrylegs_uk

Hi - another newbie saying hello.
« on: January 08, 2014, 03:41:45 PM »

Hi all,
Have arrived here probably like everybody else. Hitting problems with the menopause. I am 52 and my periods stopped - after years of various symptoms but fairly regular bleeds - about 2.5 years ago. Come from a family with breast cancer. Mum died aged 64 at 5 years post mastectomy. Sister currently/newly stage 4 13 years after mastectomy (she's only 56) so have always steered clear of anything hormonal and have managed the past few years watching my diet, self-care and in the last year, through attending a medical herbalist who prescribes a mixture for me. This was originally to combat hot sweats and the almost constant migraines from which I was suffering. Recently, migraines have abated to almost nothing. Hurrah! I thought. Then came the dryness and painful sex. Very painful. A huge blow as this has always been problem-free and very important/enjoyable to my still (sod's law!) very virile partner.

Here therefore to do some research. What exactly does one do to counteract dryness when the solutions tend to involve oestrogen - and consequently that breast cancer risk - and where increasing my levels even slightly seems to bring back hot flushes and crippling migraines? Silly me - I thought menopause meant the periods stopping. Nobody told me it could go on for years after. Coming back as a man next time!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hi - another newbie saying hello.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 05:50:28 PM »

:welcomemm:  have a look at the various threads on VA and Ovestin creams (search button top left).  Because there is very little take-up into the body and is topical, using a vaginal medication might be the way to go despite your family history.

Quality rather than …….. maybe sending an e-mail to Dr Currie for advice?

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 06:01:29 PM »

Hi merrylegs

:welcomemm: from me too.

So sorry to hear about your family members and I can understand your worries. Do you know if your mother and sister's cancers are the oestrogen receptive type?

As CLKD says something like Ovestin or similar would be your best bet. Any vaginal oestrogen containing estriol is safe to use if you are worried about breast cancer. There is very little systemic absorption of vaginal oestrogen especially once the tissues are plumped up and estriol has a very weak affinity with estrogen receptors. Many would also argue that Vagifem is OK to use too although there is some (a very small amount) of systemic absorption with this product which contains estradiol.

All the vaginal treatments are listed on the left here:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/local.php

Unfortunately the best product (in my opinion) had been discontinued - ie the Orthogynest pessaries but the creams do the same job - you just have to use an applicator.

Hope this helps

Hurdity  x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 07:13:45 PM »

Hi merrylegs and welcome
I would agree with Hurdity and CLKD .  Even with family history of breast cancer Ovestin would be fine I'm sure.  It will take a few weeks to give relief so you need to persevere. i also use moisturises like Hylaofem and Multi-Gyn Actigel.  These can help improve the acidity level in the vagina and keep bacterial infections at bay - also make things more comfortable generally.
RE. SEX - lots of lubricant is the only way forward - I've had to use KY or the like for many years.
Good luck  DG x

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 11:34:42 PM »

:welcomemm:

Taz x  :)