Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Feeling bleugh  (Read 6632 times)

Joyce

Feeling bleugh
« on: January 09, 2014, 06:20:43 PM »

Sorry, I'm feeling sorry for myself. Asthma nurse put me on Montelukast tablets as I was struggling with coughing fits at night. I've only taken 6 so far & each day I feel more & more yuk! Can't  get to sleep because of them, then get up feeling awful. Dizziness, nausea, dull headache, feeling generally terrible. I'm trying hard to keep up with my swimming, but this morning had to give up due to severe nausea. It's now teatime & could barely eat anything. I'm in two minds as to whether I should stop the asthma tablets. I can't get hold of asthma nurse until next week, so can't phone for advice. These are mentioned as side effects, however I hate feeling so sick.

Suzyq

Re: Feeling bleugh
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 06:30:31 PM »

Could you ask your pharmacist? They can be helpful if they are experienced.

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 06:54:54 PM »

Hi CG - do you find that swimming aggravates your asthma? I had it for a few years and it disappeared as quickly as it came but during this time I found that if I went swimming then the coughing later in the day became much worse. Something to do with chlorine.  How long do you have to take the tablets for? My husband only had to have them for ten days although he didn't get any side effects anyway.

Taz x  :hug:

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 07:11:58 PM »

Strangely swimming has little or no effect on my asthma.  I've got appointment to see nurse again in 2 weeks time. She said 3 weeks to start with, only 1 week in.  I've had diagnosed asthma for 18 years or so, though I suspect longer as I used to have terrible coughing fits for some years before, but put up with it.  Took pneumonia to bring it to a head.

Will ask pharmacist tomorrow.

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 07:20:29 PM »

Sorry to hear you are poorly CG. Can you at least get a telephone consultation with either the GP or the nurse. Is this tablet forever or just a short time. If you knew there was an end date then you can work toward that.

Nothing worse than feeling queasy.

:hug:

Honeyb
x

Limpy

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 08:54:06 PM »

Medication should not make you feel this bad.
2 weeks is too long to wait.
You say you can't get the asthma nurse till next week, so contact your GP, practice nurse or pharmacist. You need to speak to somebody to get some help.
Hope you feel better soon. :hug:

Joyce

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 09:21:47 PM »

Will phone tomorrow morning & see who I can speak to. I've eaten some ginger biscuits, not helped much. It's like having morning sickness all over again. I have little faith in any of the GPs though.

Joyce

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 02:24:41 PM »

Update. Still feeling yuk but GP said ok to stop taking the pills. However, to phone immediately if condition worsens.  Was pretty ropey this morning & thought I would actually be sick, but fortunately not.

Here was me worrying beforehand if they contained lactose. They don't, but never want these tablets again! Most folk do not have any side effects, trust me to be one if the few who does.  :-\

Limpy

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 06:50:28 PM »

Well, at least you tried them, they may have helped but they certainly didn't work for you.
Hope thing improve soon.

Have stern words with the asthma nurse when you finally see her!

Joyce

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 07:02:39 PM »

Not her fault. It was the next thing to try. She takes them too & only problem she had was vivid dreams. Less than 1 in 10 suffer from the nausea etc.

Trey

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 09:44:33 PM »

Hi CB, do you use inhaler?  I use albuterol as the other types sent me flying with incredible heart reaction and lightheaded ness.  I find cold weather aggravates my asthma and wearing a scarf around my mouth and nose to warm air helps a bunch.  I do also react to chlorine.  I do well with a steamy hot shower.  I hope you begin feeling better very soon.

Joyce

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 11:23:55 PM »

Thanks Trey. Yes I use inhalers - preventer & reliever. Preventer is Serotide which is a combination one which is meant to make it last longer. I've been coughing all day long, so had nice hot steamy bath & took some cough mixture too. Symptoms have eased slightly thankfully. Still a bit nauseous, but hope that will have passed by tomorrow. Certain smells catch me out as do sudden temperature changes, mainly into cold as does windy weather.  Not aware of chlorine affecting it, but suppose it's possible. It's the copious amounts of deodorant sprays & hairsprays that some ladies use in the changing rooms which catches my throat.

Think I will dig out my facial steamer tomorrow and use it with some menthol drops.

Joyce

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2014, 10:42:26 PM »

My asthma nurse apologised for giving me asthma tablets which made me feel so awful. She said she's never heard of anyone feeling so sick on them, but as it's one of the side effects it was obvious that I reacted more strongly than most. Trust me, always got to be different!  ;D So back to inhaler regime for now. Apparently one of my inhalers will be disappearing soon to be replaced with something else. However, she was more than happy with my pulse, BP & peak flow. No more checkups for 6 months. Yeah!