Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Could I just wear a patch for half the month?  (Read 4641 times)

GypsyRoseLee

Could I just wear a patch for half the month?
« on: June 03, 2015, 09:15:06 PM »

Despite HRT my own cycle still seems very strong. I am still experiencing a good couple of weeks followed by a huge mood dip and anxiety.

Prior to HRT the first half of my cycle from about day 5 to just after ovulation was always my best time. I think.I still produce enough of my own oestrogen to feel fine then.

Could I just wear a patch for the second half of my cycle when my own oestrogen is low and I need a boost?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Could I just wear a patch for half the month?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 09:16:55 PM »

Why not?  Are you keeping a diary of food/mood/bleed/HRT? 

Medication can sometimes be Trial and Error - let us know how you get on!

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 09:19:39 PM »

Not unless it's a combined patch as you have to oppose any oestrogen with progesterone.

Sorry I know that's not what you really wanted to hear but it's really best not to take any chances with a thickening of the lining of the womb. You don't want to cause any more problems.

The only way to use oestrogen only is if you have had a hysterectomy.

Honeybun
X

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 09:26:52 PM »

I would still be happy to take separate prog' as well. Though I think I still have my own prog as I still managed a normal bleed last month, despite only taking 3 days of Utro and wearing a higher dose patch.

These last 2 weeks should have been my 'good' weeks. But although I haven't had any anxiety or mood dips I have felt emotionally quite numb and unable to experience any excitement or happiness really.

I assumed wearing a higher dose patch would improve on my 'good' weeks but instead it has made it much less nice.

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 09:31:50 PM »

The thing with HRT is it supposed to deliver a steady dose all day every day. I don't think any GP would go along with your theory of having your own progesterone. You probably do but in peri it will be up and down like a yo yo so you can't guarantee that you would have enough to bring on a bleed every month.

I think you need to give things a chance to settle down. It can take a while and you may need to change a few times so you can get it right.

Honeybun
X

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 09:36:24 PM »

I honestly wouldn't mind still taking seperate prog' still Honeybun? But I wouldn't know how much to take or for how long.

The thing is, if I'm still making quite a bit of my own oestrogen in first half of my cycle then having extra from a patch isn't necessary. Then in second half if my cycle I'm not making enough so do need the extra from a patch. But regardless it's not going to be a steady amount of oestrogen because I'm still producing my own amounts.

dogdoc

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 09:41:44 PM »

That's what I'm doing. So far so ok. :)

honeybun

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 09:46:55 PM »

Maybe check with your GP, that way you would be able to work out how much to take and when to add in your progesterone.

I really wouldn't try and guess at this.

Honeybun
X

BrightLight

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 10:50:50 PM »

I am not on HRT, although might be in the future. 

My assumption is that our own hormones are fluctuating which gives symptoms and HRT raises the levels to prevent this happening.  In my mind it would be impossible to know when the fluctuations were happening and attempt to add in the HRT at these points - which is sort of what it sounds like you are thinking might work.  The HRT needs to be at a level that lessens these peaks and both estrogen and progesterone are needed.

I also wanted to say that I have tried the route of understanding which hormone is causing my symptoms or which one is high or low and for me personally, I am fairly sure that progesterone is low.  Please don't assume a bleed means you have adequate progesterone, the bleed can be with high estrogen and lower progesterone or it can be from just high estrogen (breakthrough bleed).  Lower progesterone can cause PMS in the second half of the cycle.  The issue is more about the balance between the two I believe.

As much as I wish it were possible to work out things the way we need to feel 'ourselves' again for the majority of the time, I don't think it's possible.  What is possible is to go back to your GP and explain what is happening and get advise. 

Maybe some more experienced ladies can advise you more specifically about dosage etc but personally I think you should stick to what was prescribed and seek advise to adjust it x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 02:43:53 PM »

Off to a Pharmacist or send an e-mail to the product manufacturer?