Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Oestrogen and Mirena  (Read 4029 times)

Mrs January

Oestrogen and Mirena
« on: January 06, 2014, 05:48:25 PM »

Hi ladies

I am having a Mirena put back in next week 17th ...yay.....had one before not sure why I didn't replace it after all this meno thingy.

Anyway I plan to take an oestrogen supplement too. So far have been advised to take Premarin 0.625mg...do we think this will be enough?

Have hot flushes, some low mood and edge as I call anxiety, sleep ok, migraines less so not sure what to do?

Thanks Lyn :)

Dancinggirl

Re: Oestrogen and Mirena
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 06:16:05 PM »

Go for Oestrogel - it's fab.  Start with 1 or 2 pumps per day for the first few weeks and increase if you need more.  Far fewer side effects and less likely to get headaches etc.  It's a bio identical oestrogen as well so much kinder - I think Premarin is derived from horses?!!!
DG x

Joyce

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 06:24:40 PM »

Gel or patch, safer method of delivery.

Mrs January

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 06:45:58 PM »

Thanks for you  replies

I have used the Premarin before and was ok....Don't like the thought of it coming from Horses though! Ukk

I have an allergy to the glue in the patches and end up with very red legs! or thighs.....

Maybe the Gel is best then? having never used it before , how do you etc etc.....

Just want to feel human again as life with OH is different as we sell our house and boat:(
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 06:57:05 PM by Mrs January »

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 07:25:49 PM »

Gel is applied to upper arms or inner thighs. I preferred upper arms, but that's just me.

Mrs January

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 10:03:44 PM »

Hi Cubagirl

How do you know what dose etc to take? sorry for sounding dumb...I am a nurse but never have been offered Gel......didn't know it existed until i cam on this site....

Regards
Lyn :)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 10:35:42 PM »

Oestrogel - you can use from 1 - 4 pumps per day.  I always applied to my inner thighs.  You usually start with 1 or 2 pumps per day for the first few weeks and increase if need be till you feel you have found the right amount to make symptoms subside.  I never used more than 2 pumps per day.  Advantage is that nothing is going through the liver and oestrogen is absorbed quickly and efficiently.
When I recently came off full HRT (I'm nearly 58 and needed a break from HRT to see how my meno symptoms are now) I was able to reduce the amount I used gradually which was really easy with Oestrogel - in fact as you get older and they recommend you use lower doses you can simply very slowly reduce over months or even years.  DG x

Joyce

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 11:10:02 PM »

Pumps are measured doses Mrs January, so you can't make any mistakes. When I used it, it was 2 pumps per day, one on each arm. My GP said that gel, or patch for that matter, was by far a safer way to take oestrogen.

Mrs January

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 07:09:46 AM »

Thanks again ladies

Will ask the Gp for gel, they are very good at our surgery and thinks as you say it is the safest way to take it.

Have a good day all xxxxxxxxxxx off to work now and have ofsted in xx