Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Hrt and heavy painfull periods  (Read 12838 times)

Rosey4

Hrt and heavy painfull periods
« on: February 13, 2014, 02:23:33 PM »

Hello I am wondering if anyone out there can advise me. I am51 and started menopause symptoms since I was 48. I got the marina coil in 2 years previous to that and when I was 48 I had pre marine 0. 3. Which I took for 3 years. I got the coil out because it was due to come out and decided not to get another because I wanted to see where I was at. It was terrible!! The doctor put me on elleste duet which I have been taken for 2 months and now on the third pack. I took a period each of the months however very painful and heavy awful! Period. I don't no what to do because I haven't had these for years. Hrt is brilliant for all of my other symptoms. Is there another any could recommend because I don't want to go back in to hospital for another marina, and even if I did i would still need another hrt oestrogen. The doctor doesn't want to give me a continues one because I had a spot of bleeding before getting the coil out. I would be gratefully for any advice :o

Dancinggirl

Re: Hrt and heavy painfull periods
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 10:37:13 AM »

Hi and Welcome Rosey4
I had terrible period pains with sequential HRT and actually came off HRT at 49 because of these pains and the scares that were going round at the time.  I went back on HRT again after 3 dreadful years of meno symptoms and tried various HRTs with no success and finally had a Mirena coil fitted and used Oestrogel for the oestrogen.  The oestrogen isn't the thing that gives you the pain, it is the progesterone that makes your uterus shed it's lining and keeps it healthy that causes pain.  If you have a Mirena fitted and use Oestrogel or an oestrogen patch you will get a little break through bleeding for a while but after a few weeks this should stop.  I didn't get any nasty pain with the Mirena (just rather uncomfortable having it fitted). You say you went into hospital to have your Mirena fitted!!Did you have an anaesthetic ? If you did you were very lucky - the NHS don't do this - they just fit it with a bit of local anaesthetic internally.
Once you are post meno ( 18months to 2 years past your last period0)you can have continuous HRT but even then a Mirena and Oestrogel could be the best option. 
Others may be along soon with advice.

Rosey4

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 12:39:58 PM »

Hello thank you for your reply. I've had a very interesting couple of days! First of all the doctor gave me the wrong hrt that that she thought was the right one. Sequential rather than conti. I've to go back and try conti so what one to choose???? I am sleeping better and no more sore bones or problems down below no hot flushes it's great to feel. I have my life back. Aside from extra weight gain. But that's not much. I don't want another marina but I may change my mind if other hrt progest don't agree.  Because in this one my breasts hurt like hell!. I have to finish this pack before going on a new one because the doc says so. And  she said that would be for the best. I am not looking forward to the painful nasty period at the end of the month. I would rather not take hrt really! I like the more natural approach but unfortunately I felt my life was miserable and at 51 enjoy sex with my partner and am usually a happy person. I really hope I will get something that will suit will keep posted because maybe it can help others too. This forum is a good support! Wee all need this!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 12:44:52 PM by Rosey4 »

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 04:35:49 PM »

There are many on this site who would say there is nothing natural about going through menopause. Taking HRT is the most natural way of dealing with the symptoms. If you want to stick with pills perhaps try femiston conti as the progesterone in this one is well tolerated by many women. Sore breasts is very common & this can settle down I believe. Good luck. Dgx