Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Mothers  (Read 19806 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Mothers
« on: January 03, 2014, 04:18:01 PM »

::)  what is it with some?  I know of several women of a 'certain' age who hang onto stuff 'for best'.  When I went through Mum's airing cupboard searching for clean T-towels recently I could find plenty of grey/worn/holey cloths, not even suitable for washing the floor with.  I was told that "I only get my best ones out for special visitors" .......... his (late) mother was the same, the hand towels in the bathroom were full of holes or worn so that they no longer soaked up, when we turned out the very back of her cupboards there were new towels, some still in the packages  >:( ........ my friend's M in L is the same, slightly younger than the 2 mentioned ...... again, only gets her new towels out 'for best'.

Seems family aren't included then  >:(  ............

Pants the same.  Well worn, with holes ...... but clearing out cupboards we find lots of new, still in the packages ........ nighties, boxes of soap/talc; bath towels, slippers, bathroom mats: all 'for best'  :-[

Joyce

Re: Mothers
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 04:26:11 PM »

Omg you're describing me!  ;D

Seriously though I do keep some stuff for best, clothes mainly, then they go out of fashion. So have decided to start wearing & will recycle others.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 04:40:37 PM »

I know what you mean - this drives me nuts :bang:
We moved my mother a couple of years ago and my husband and I organised the move.  We had to buy her a bigger house to get all her stuff in - she wouldn't be parted from anything!!!!! We did manage to throw a few things away without her noticing. Some years ago she was complaining about her back aching and I suggested she get a new bed - well - she insisted on keeping the bed base as she claimed it was perfectly good but agreed to a new mattress - the new mattress simply sagged in the middle because the springs in the base had lost their spring and we had to get a piece of wood to put between the base and mattress  grrrr…….
Her wardrobe is filled with things 'for best' & every old tea towel/ bath towel is kept 'just in case' - she tries to offload things onto us on the basis that 'they are still perfectly good'!!!!!! we just take them straight to the tip.
My lovely mother-in-law used to keep water in old milk cartons as she was convinced there was a water shortage!!! We gave her all sorts of lovely presents for birthday and Christmas and after she died we found them all neatly wrapped - kept 'for best'.
I do think it is a feature of the generation that went through the war and nothing was thrown away.
It has made my husband and I very minimalist - we're always throwing things away.
I'm going to paraphrase William Morris now - "Do not have anything in your home that you know to be useful or believe to be beautiful"
Do any of you do a wardrobe edit each year? I intend to do one next week - It's wonderfully cathartic and gives a great excuse to buy a couple of news things to give you a lift.  DG x

Rowan

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 05:01:22 PM »

Agree with DG, my OH has the war mentality (generation gap, don't get me talking about food!!)) I have moved around the world all my life and we never accumulated stuff, I have always been a minimalist, and feel stressed and sometimes overpowered since OH has been living with me, he won't throw anything away and we live in a tiny house.

Gradually I am de cluttering my stuff, but its hard to get OH to do the same.   

I know this thread is about mothers, OH gets on very well with my ex mother in law, they talk about make do and mend, and never throwing anything away.

Hasten to add I would not swop him :)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 05:23:42 PM by silverlady »

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 05:37:42 PM »

I've been trying to get hubby to declutter forever! Not sure what he's keeping stuff for. I dump it on the floor then he keeps 90% of it.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 10:11:10 PM »

It definitely is the make do and mend idea.  My mum is 89 and the other day she told me she was hand washing one of her favourite sweaters. She said one of her sisters bought it for her and she loves it.  That sister must be dead 20 years!    She has masses of new clothes ...... I am always encouraging her to spend her money on herself as she didn't have much when we were all growing up.  She loves clothes, shoes and accessories but doesn't get rid of the older stuff very often. ;)

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 10:14:49 PM »

It definitely is the make do and mend idea.  My mum is 89 and the other day she told me she was hand washing one of her favourite sweaters. She said one of her sisters bought it for her and she loves it.  That sister must be dead 20 years!    She has masses of new clothes ...... I am always encouraging her to spend her money on herself as she didn't have much when we were all growing up.  She loves clothes, shoes and accessories but doesn't get rid of the older stuff very often. ;)

Joyce

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 10:36:16 PM »

My mum had piles of new sheets stored, bought in sales, which never saw the light of day.

Mum also made her own pants! She refused to pay m&s prices for the ones she liked. They were horrendous. Got so faded from washing. They were truly dreadful.

honeybun

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 10:40:12 PM »

I have to ask. How do you make pants.  ;D

My mother has good stuff and uses it. She is forever getting us to replace things. She did spend a lot on clothes and shoes but is now rarely out so does not buy so much.

Honeyb
x

Joyce

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 10:45:50 PM »

Well she took a pair of m&s ones, they were made of fine lawn cotton, cut pattern out on brown paper. Off to remnant kings, do they still exist? Bought similar material, cheapest she could find. Cut out pants, sewed & voilà! Can't imagine they were very sexy, but she swore blind they were most comfortable.

She attempted many things. Even a patchwork bag. Except hers wasn't leather, but a really cheap & nasty backed plastic. Definitely make do & mend generation.

honeybun

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 11:00:06 PM »

I remember my mother making me a bikini out of a beach towel  ;D ;D

It sagged when it got wet.

There were many homemade clothes when I was little.

Honeyb
x

Limpy

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 10:54:46 AM »

My mum used to make me pinifore dresses and skirts, she did buy blouses however.
She also made a swimming costume with a ruched elasticated bodice and skirt, that sagged big style when wet.
Apparently it wasn't meant for swimming.   ;D

My brother always seemed to get brought things.
Mind you perhaps she wasn't happy doing trousers / shorts   ???
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 10:58:06 AM by Limpy »

honeybun

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2014, 11:02:44 AM »

My mother was very good with the sewing machine. It was my dad that did the pattern pinning and cutting though.
I remember them recovering a sofa and chairs.

There was not much money around and they made what they had go a very long way.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2014, 11:25:46 AM »

Cut out and ready to sew anyone .........

honeybun

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2014, 11:28:51 AM »

My daughter does. Designs and sews without a pin in sight as part of her BA course.
Computers are used and its all very very complex.

Have to say I am impressed at what she has learned to do.

Honeyb
x
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5