Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Here we go again  (Read 13107 times)

honeybun

Re: Here we go again
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2014, 03:47:22 PM »

Drove along the sea front, the putting green is a floating green and the ferries that are moored up are towering over the town as the sea is so high. All the main coastal roads are now closed so although we can go a few miles in each direction we are effectively cut off for a while  ;D
All other routes out of here are one track roads.

I would love some snow just for a change. Hope it comes our way soon. Better than all this b###y rain and wind.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2014, 03:49:59 PM »

Been looking at weather Wales - photos/videos of recent storm damage  :o

Limpy

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2014, 03:57:28 PM »

It's the GULF STREAM that is causing this, winds from the States whooshing this way

Think it's the JET STREAM - i.e.  the air currents found in the atmosphere which play a large role in determining the weather.

The gulf stream is a current within the Atlantic  ocean, not the same thing

Limpy

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2014, 04:07:18 PM »

Fed up with this weather, last time I looked, the floor of the valley below us had no green at all.
Bit of a concern as there a number of stock paddocks down there.
Last time there were floods anything like this, animals died.   :(

There's a stone wall opposite our gateway which is bulging. Think it's the amount of rain making the soil shift, if it goes, we won't be able to get out of the house in the car.   ???

The wind is unceasing, it's a pain, really noisy, impossible to get any sleep.

Did I mention I was fed up? 

honeybun

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2014, 04:12:25 PM »

I so agree Limpy. Everywhere I looked this morning there were miserable looking animals huddled in corners of field. Lots of farmers out on tractors moving them around though and putting out feed.

I want to see blue sky. Winter blue is fine. My kids can't even get out of town tonight as we are being told the clear up will take a while.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2014, 04:12:42 PM »

:thankyou:  shows how much notice I was taking  ::)  :-X

Limpy

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2014, 04:19:06 PM »

Well, you were close ish    ;D

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2014, 04:20:08 PM »

"ish "   ........ covers many situations then  ;)

lily

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2014, 05:27:34 PM »

Fed up with all too, we're about 12 miles from Edinburgh and on high ground.  We've had tiles off the roof a few times in the past couple of years and again about a month ago.  I can't sleep wondering if the roof will stay put this time  ::)  Eldest son sat motorbike test in it today and passed, phew!

Joyce

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2014, 05:33:35 PM »

Would be nice to see some blue skies. I'm fed up with storms too, messing with my asthma.

Congrats to your son lily. Quite a feat in this weather!

lily

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2014, 11:42:04 AM »

Thanks cubagirl, trust him to pass in winter - hoping he won't use it much in bad weather.

Joyce

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2014, 03:47:44 PM »

My hubby used to own motor bike, he even instructed. However, I was never happy about him on two wheels despite all the gear. 

honeybun

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2014, 04:06:24 PM »

The main trunk road north is closed and in a right mess. Where the road was is now sea. It was never fit for purpose but now there is a 50 mile diversion. Can't even get a train that way. Good job mother lives south or it would be a real problem.

We have wanted a new road for a long while, maybe the powers that be will be persuaded that a major road that goes up the west coast of Scotland should be bigger.

Honeyb
x

Joyce

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2014, 04:21:49 PM »

Similar picture up & down the west coast HB. Old roads & walls crumbling from the near constant battering from the elements. Ardrossan looked bad yesterday, though I suspect it's seen weather like that on many an occasion, just not the frequency.

My brother used to stay very near the sea some years ago, about 200 yards. Thankfully he's further inland now.

Limpy

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2014, 06:49:49 PM »

We have wanted a new road for a long while, maybe the powers that be will be persuaded that a major road that goes up the west coast of Scotland should be bigger.

Do you mean the same powers that be that have decided to cut funds to the Environment Agency for flood protection work?

Pages: 1 [2] 3