Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: multifuel stoves  (Read 11744 times)

honeybun

Re: multifuel stoves
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2013, 11:14:06 PM »

I love the look of them and thought my neighbours one was lovely. The only complaint I would have is she can't turn it down. Not good for me when I was having flushes. The room was so warm. When we visit I want to wear my swimming cozzie  ;D

Honeyb
x

francesca

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2013, 04:18:57 AM »

Love our Vermont Castings wood burner, esp these last few days with little electricity, lovely light and warmth. 

Do check how much heat output they give, ours is about 4-5 kW in a large old farmhouse sitting room and I still have to throw off clothes when the dreaded flushes kick in! If you have a well insulated house you may overheat! Dogs love it though, they'd lie and bake all evening.

Plan B consider a pellet stove to run the central heating??

Taz2

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2013, 08:22:52 AM »

Francesca  :welcomemm:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2013, 01:03:14 PM »

We already have an oil burning central heating system to run 10 rads off.  An open fire in the centre of the lounge on an inside wall, which we haven't lit for over 15 years  ::)

An air brick would be inserted in the outer wall which would cause, I think a draft across the room  ???.  That is a building reg requirement over a certain kilowattage, 6+ I think. 

Oh door bell, be back later!

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2013, 01:10:45 PM »

Right - that's the bin men sorted with a New Year carrier bag of biscuits  ;)

If a commercial company fits a stove they have to provide a carbon monoxide alarm, I think this is charged for.  It's wise to have one anyway, we have one in our camper van and a smoke alarm.

Watch this space as they say - still in the debating stage   ;D

Limpy

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2013, 06:20:28 PM »

We haven't got a any sort of alarm. Neither do we have an air brick, bit difficult when the walls in that room are 6' thick by the fire and 4' at their thinnest elsewhere in the room. 

When we lived in a house with normal walls, we had an air brick by the fire (normal open type), which allowed air to come in without causing a draft across the room.

Our multiburner stove was installed in 1995, perhaps requirements may have been different then?

CLKD

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2013, 07:34:33 PM »

Yep Limpy expect they were different.  For example carbon monoxide alarms weren't common then.  Now Building Regs. are more tuned to H&S as many people have died from CM.

As for air bricks - we lived in a Georgian house with deep windowsills - stone built it was bitterly cold in Winter and cool in Summer.

Underfloor draft means that there isn't cold air across the floor towards the fire-place but I can't face the mess etc..

Dancinggirl

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2013, 09:14:25 PM »

The size of stove you get should relate to the size of the room - too big a stove can make the room too hot.  Many of the newer stoves have some form of control on the heat output - even the really small ones like ours.  We tend to get it going quite strongly and then close up the vents so it ticks over quite low and occasionally open them up if we need a little more warmth. We got a 4 Kw stove because that was all we needed and we didn't need an air brick fitted for that size.  I think an air brick is only needed for stoves above 5kw. 
The best thing to do is to get a couple of stove fitters to give you a survey and a quote and then you can determine if it's worth having stove.
You can easily buy carbon monoxide alarms - they are not expensive.
You need to have the chimney swept every year even if you have a lined chimney.  A small expense you have to budget for.
We had a stove in our last house - the chimney didn't need lining.  In our current house we did have the chimney lined and fitted a cowl which was attached to the lining.  It really wasn't a big job so don't be scared off.  Good luck  DG x

lily

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2014, 02:39:50 PM »

I mistakenly read this topic as Multifuel Stovies and thought, 'Oh I wonder what everyone is putting in their stovies!'  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2014, 03:24:17 PM »

;D  you have a recipe?

Winterose

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2014, 12:38:37 PM »

You could keep your stovies warm on top..........

We have a clearview which runs 10 rads and has saved us over £1000 last year on oil. We have oil central heating which comes off a boiler. The woodburner  is multifuel so can be left on 24hrs a day.  The stove is amazing kicking in and taking over from the boiler and because it does radiators the room its in never gets too hot. Ours is in a hall/sittingroom so you can see it burning merrily away the minute you enter the house, very cheery. Cant recommend them highly enough.  It also has a special tank where water is released in the morning to do showers , not sure of all the technicalities. The glass stays clear . :)

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2014, 03:08:02 PM »

:thankyou:

lily

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2014, 05:32:07 PM »

Sounds great, not as good as stovies though  ;D   ;D

(Traditionally made with meat such as stewing steak, but we make make ours with skinless sausages, onion and corned beef as well as the tatties of course CLKD and brown sauce on top goes down a treat!)

Limpy

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2014, 06:24:04 PM »

You really live and learn on this site.

To my eternal shame I had always thought stovies were a sort of bread roll / bap type thing.   ::)
The stovies described here sound much better.    ;D

bramble

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2014, 06:39:22 PM »

I come from the north of Scotland. Traditionally we don't put any meat in stovies - just potatoes, onions and lard. Down in central Scotland where I now live, the most popular addition is corned beef.

Bramble
Pages: 1 [2] 3