Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: new year new diet  (Read 11207 times)

clio

new year new diet
« on: December 27, 2013, 10:28:44 PM »

Since giving up smoking ive put on the pounds going from a size 10 to 24. I really not happy with myself at the moment plus ive loads of clothes but too small. Ive tried the carb free diet but its hard yo follow with the job I hav so going to try weight watchers. Anyone had hood results on this diet??

Clio

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: new year new diet
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 04:04:36 PM »

Weight Watchers will encourage you!  I always tell people that the weight doesn't suddenly 'go on' so will not suddenly 'fall off'  ;).  Try cutting down rather than out or you might crave what you think you can't eat!  Don't shop when hungry.  Don't buy stuff that is liable to put calories on.  The body however needs calories to burn calories.

Exercise?  Brisk walking.  Swimming.  House work ........

Dyan

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 05:25:24 PM »

Hi Clio,
I've had success with weight watchers but you have to stick to it even when you get to your goal.
You cannot go back to eating how you use to otherwise the weight will go back on.
I got a bit obsessed with counting the points and it was around the time recently when I was having a blip.
I have obsessional tendencies anyway. I have diagnosed OCD.
I got where I would weigh myself everyday.
I'm not doing WW now because of Christmas and once the Xmas food has gone I'm going on a 'healthy eating' diet but not cutting out things I like.
I think moderation and exercise is the key. I don't want to get into the habit of weighing myself again.
I'm going to judge by how my clothes fit me and I'm back on my exercise strider 30 mins daily.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Dyan x

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 06:00:30 PM »

I lost weight on my own this year. Between January & August I lost nearly 2 stones. Did it by watching calories, but more importantly going swimming 4-5 times a week. Not long swims, but 20 minutes a day. Walked there most days, about a mile each way. I need to get back on it again, which I will do at the beginning of the year as I have put on about half a stone since August, by not doing nearly as much swimming - laziness crept in after getting a sore shoulder which prevented swimming.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 07:36:05 PM »

Cutting out all alcohol for 3 months can make a difference too, all that sugar you know  ;)

littleminnie

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 07:40:39 PM »

That's a bit drastic CLKD.  :)

clio

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 09:08:30 PM »

Thanks for replies, sorry meant 14 not 24. Ive lost weight before but find it hard now I dont hav my ciggies. Thought with ww I still can hav the things I like. Going to do a weekly guide so I know what I can have on each day.

babypink2807

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 01:46:57 PM »

Since giving up smoking ive put on the pounds going from a size 10 to 24. I really not happy with myself at the moment plus ive loads of clothes but too small. Ive tried the carb free diet but its hard yo follow with the job I hav so going to try weight watchers. Anyone had hood results on this diet??

Clio

I'm going to make a concerted effort to walk more, I've shut myself away all year and now everything is going south and hate it so need to loose a few pounds and try to do something with my tummy yuk

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 03:45:47 PM »

Not at all!  Cutting out alchol works, it's the sugars in it that causes the problem  ;) and if one really wants to lose weight, then it's the easiest product not to buy.  Out of sight, out of ........

We are walking: A LOT  :o and we aren't into January yet  ;D

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 05:36:14 PM »

clio - my daughter does weight watchers and has lost two stone with it recently. You can have some of the things you like but of course it all contributes to points. She still enjoys her glasses of wine but in order to do so has to have lots of zero point soups and things like that.

As cubagirl says - exercise is very important when trying to lose weight - both the walking or swimming or whatever you enjoy and also anything that develops your muscle tone - eg like body conditioning classes - because you then replace fat with muscle which burns more calories at rest, and so increases your basal metabloic rate. Then you can eat more without putting on more weight.

Yes I agree also with Dyan - you have to change your eating pattern for life - because if you go back to eating how you did before - which led to the weight gain - then of course you will just increase again. Once you have realised what contributes to weight gain then you can eat healthily but still enjoy treats without having to go overboard.

For me it's often about having tastes of things - eg if you at a buffet meal at an event/party or whatever and there are lots of cakes/puddings - I just have a tiny bit of each to satisfy cravings..

Good luck!

Hurdity x

clio

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 06:43:02 PM »

Ive been sat doing some daily menus as I find if I dont hav a list of what I can eat I end up eating what I want which us the wrong stuff. Ive done 3 different menus up to now just 4 more then I can at least start to get into it. I tried the dukan diet but found had no energy but it was working just made me feel ill. I hate being a 14 n rising be happy getting back to a 12 again, 10 was abit too thin for me. Anyone else starting a diet in the newyear??

Clio

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 07:42:21 PM »

I did slimming world and lost 2 stones. I felt the best I've felt for years this last summer.  I am pretty sure I've put a lot on over the last few months though for various reasons.

Slimming world is dead easy and you don't have to weigh, count or eat special foods. They have over 40 years experience and pride themselves on members who have lost a lot of weight and kept it off for decades.  I like that because losing it is fairly easy but keeping it off is another thing.

Well done for packing up smoking. Input on nearly 3 stones when I quit ... That was about 10 years ago.  It's off now and more.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 09:23:07 PM »

But if you lose weight once then you can lose it again.  So enjoying treats is OK.  Cut down, not out  ;)

I remember M in L going on a diet which involved cutting up her daily allowance, putting it into the fridge ready for the next day: once it was eaten that was it until the following day.  Worked for her and she kept the weight off!

clio

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2013, 08:15:25 AM »

Thats the sort of thing I need to do CLKD, im doing a list of what I can eat that day trying to vary it for different days including treats but staying with my points, then when its gone its gone. Going to do rest of week today, ive 4 more to complete the week. Soon I will know the points value of what I like to eat so im hoping it will become easier and less of a chore and more of a life style. we hav goodies left to eat over next few days left like mince pies choc log etc then thursday it starts. If I can get back into my 12s I wld b happy ive loads of clothes that are too small, hardly worn some of them.

Clio

littleminnie

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2013, 10:00:24 AM »

It was a battle to get in my jeans this morning, I won but only just.  :(
Pages: [1] 2