Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Alternative to Norethisterone  (Read 10853 times)

toffeecushion

Alternative to Norethisterone
« on: December 20, 2013, 06:12:07 AM »

I am trying to see my doctor today as I am concerned about the side effect of clotting while taking norethisterone, as I am flying to Florida on Wednesday.  Does anyone know of an alternative that I can ask about?

I know I have to stop the bleeding but the anxiety over taking them is terrible, really getting me down.

Thanks

Taz2

Re: Alternative to Norethisterone
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 07:51:55 AM »

I would think that any alternative would also have the same possible side effect? Does it give clotting as a side effect?

Has the doc said you have to stop the bleeding? Mine was quite happy for my really long period to continue for ten weeks as it was not that heavy and I really didn't want to use norethisterone as it gives me dreadful grumpiness.  :cuss:

Taz

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 07:55:40 AM »

Your doctor presumably knows you are flying out to Florida? It does say discuss with your GP if you are flying

"There may also be an increased risk of blood clots in the veins if you are traveling for long periods of time where you will be sat still (over five hours). The risk of blood clots during long journeys may be reduced by appropriate exercise during the journey and possibly by wearing elastic hosiery. Discuss this with your doctor"

Taz x

toffeecushion

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 08:10:49 AM »

I would be happier to just put up with it, but a blood test revealed that my iron stores are low and I am taking iron tablets so I'm not sure the doctor will let it continue.  The bleeding is not constantly heavy and most times it is only when I am on the toilet but there are still small clots.

My anxiety is going through the roof, I must sound so stupid, anyone else would just take them.

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 08:39:52 AM »

I think there is something called Transamic acid. Not sure of the spelling though. It would have the same effect though. You can buy DVT stockings to wear but you can discuss this with your GP.
Lots of HRT contains noritheristerone and there are no warnings about flying whilst taking it. Why don't you start now. You may not have to take it for long before the bleeding stops.

Honeyb
x

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 09:13:20 AM »

I didn't realise you were low on iron toffeecushion. Hopefully once the iron tablets kick in you will begin to feel better in yourself. A lot of how you are feeling could be down to the low iron stores. What strength tablets have you been given?

As honeybun says - why not take it now. Bleeding could stop really quickly.

Taz x

toffeecushion

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 11:43:35 AM »

Thanks for your replies.

I saw the doctor who changed my iron tablets (as the original ones disagreed with me) and he said that he believed the risk of clots was very low, but that I could just carrying on bleeding if I wanted to.  I think I will just put up with the bleeding for as long as I can but take the norethisterone with me just in case it gets a lot worse.

Hopefully, I will now stop worrying so much and who knows the bleeding might even calm down.  It has been almost 6 weeks now, but I am sure that some women bleed for longer.

I did one of those home menopause kits on Wednesday and for the first time it was positive.  I cried with relief.

Spangles

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 04:57:08 PM »

Hi Toffeecushion

I'm pleased you did your kit and got the result you were looking for.
In the past I was given tranemaxic acid to stop bleeding as I too am anaemic. It does the trick and its very easy to control and manage.
Good luck and have a good trip.

Shellb
xXx

honeybun

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 07:56:53 PM »

I knew it was called something like that  ;D

Honeyb
x