Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bowel test and endoscopy  (Read 9257 times)

Smokey

Bowel test and endoscopy
« on: December 19, 2013, 09:49:38 PM »

Hi any one had Bowel test , I'm due one tomorrow have had to have laxatives to completely empty bowels and no food today until after test tomorrow morning, I'm so hungry.

I am having these tests due to being anemic and investigations need to be done, to see where the blood has gone?

I have had a couple of extra periods latley, but docs doesnt seem to think that could make a difference, not sure that is true, an one have experience of this or tests etc.

Thanks x

Taz2

Re: Bowel test and endoscopy
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 10:47:17 PM »

Hi Smokey. I developed anaemia a couple of years ago and because of my age (over 55) it was standard procedure to refer me for an endoscopy (tube down into tummy) and a sigmoidoscopy (tube up into bowel). Do you know if it is a sigmoid you are having? This examines the first couple of feet of bowel but not the whole lot and is easier than a full colonoscopy.

Both of mine were clear and I never did find out why my iron levels had dropped. Six months of iron tablets sorted it out though.

Hope it goes well. I found it really interesting and watched it on the monitor  :)

Taz x

Smokey

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 08:14:52 AM »

Thanks for your reply Taz I'm having tube up bum and filled with barium and maybe air.
I have the endoscopy Monday 30th.

Glad yours showed nothing, hopefully mine will too! I'll be glad when it's over that's for sure.
X

Ju Ju

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 08:58:18 AM »

Best wishes! Had mine last Friday. Soon be over.

Smokey

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 01:43:23 PM »

Thanks JuJu

Don't know what I was worried about they were so nice and friendly and quite a simple painless procedure really!

Just the results to wait for now.

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 02:10:53 PM »

Glad it went well Smokey. Our doctors carry out these tests in the surgery which made it far less worrying. It was the laxative part I didn't like as the after effects lasted for a while. I was really glad I didn't have to walk home after as speed was of the essence!

Taz x

Ju Ju

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 03:44:06 PM »

Didn't say anything, mine was very painful and I had to have extra pain relief. Had it done years ago and it was fine. Apparently I have now got some sharp bends, hence the pain. The doctor was unable to get into the 'nooks and crannies', but saw nothing of concern and took some biopsies. Hopefully, I can talk to someone even if they find nothing. I think I need reassurance, because I would get pretty screwed up if I have to have the procedure again.

Ju Ju

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 04:42:19 PM »

Just got a hospital appointment for 6 weeks time, so nothing of great urgency, but a chance to get some reassurance.

Smokey

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2013, 03:04:08 PM »

Reassurance is worth getting just so you can get on and not worry about anything else.

I must admit I wouldn't want another procedure, I've got the endoscopy to worry about next, I'm not looking forward to it as its in the morning and again you can't eat before it, I seem to feel worse in the morning well my ms fatigue is anyway! I don't really like throat things because of my surgery for parathyroid cells/tumor removal a few years back, it took ages for me to get back to swallowing pills again!  And knowing a tube with camera on going down my throat is not appealing, although I have had it before and it was ok
But that was before my op.

Yes I know what you mean Taz speed being the essence! Today I feel off colour a bit bloated and just yuck all over really.

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2013, 03:19:16 PM »

Hope you feel better soon Smokey. You know that you have to listen to your body and just rest but isn't it frustrating??!!!

Taz x  :bighug:

Smokey

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2013, 05:51:52 PM »

Thanks Taz I will tryx

honeybun

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2013, 07:22:17 PM »

I would recommend the sedation for the endoscopy. That's what I had and was just fine as in I don't remember a thing.
If you have trouble swallowing pills have you tried them with something fizzy. I take mine with fizzy water and they just slide down. That was the way I moved my kids onto pills when they were young, otherwise we had gagging and spitting out.

Honeyb
x

Smokey

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2013, 09:11:40 PM »

Thanks honeybun

Yes I think I will opt for sedation if possible, and fizzy drinks when taking pills I've not heard of that before but I'll give it a go next time and see if it's better.

Smokey

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2014, 01:10:46 PM »

Hi everyone, just to update I've had endoscopy, and cannot praise the staff enough, I had sedation/relaxant and all went well and this time it must have put me out as one minute the mouth guard was being put in and the next it was being taken out and all over!

I had biopsies taken and sent of and have made a appointment with my usual doctor for the 10 th of this month for results and chat about more HRT

Juju have you had your results back yet?

At the moment I have been having ms symptoms in my legs- they feel weired when standing and walking, but I havnt any numbness but do have gentle vibrations now and again.
I've had these feelings for past four days, also Christmas day I felt quite tipsy and a bit spaced out (without alcohol ). Could this be due to not eating until 2pm, I guess it's possible.

Any views ladies?

honeybun

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2014, 01:59:58 PM »

Glad your endoscopy went well. I was fine too, it was not until much later that I recalled the sou d of someone gagging....must have been me.

I don't really know anything about MS but I do know about low blood sugar as hubby is diabetic. When he is having a hypo he describes the feeling as being slightly drunk with wobbly legs. Much the same symptoms as you describe. Obviously a diabetic has to deal with things quickly but if you felt better when you ate it is a distinct possibility. If I go too long without eating I get very jittery. Add not eating to the stress of Xmas day  and its not a happy combination.

Hope you are feeling better now.

Honeyb
x
Pages: [1] 2