Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Is normal for me right?  (Read 4673 times)

Chrislm

Is normal for me right?
« on: December 17, 2013, 07:45:53 AM »

Hi

I am sorry to post again. (The menopause is making me as self obsessed as a teenager I'm afraid). But the advice here is so good.

Three weeks ago, I increase my dose of Elleste Duet to 2 mg because I had started feeling sick again, my energy levels had dipped a bit and I had had the odd warm flush again.

On 2 mg I felt better immediately. The sickness went away and my energy levels went back to where they were years ago. In lots of ways I felt even more 'normal me' than I had on 1 mg.

But I also noticed two other symptoms which I have read are typical of too much estrogen - I am finding it hard to get to sleep and my appetite is enormous.

I have realised that I have always had these two 'symptoms' for most of my life. I got used to lying awake for ages long after everyone had dropped off to sleep. And I put my enormous appetite down to the fact that I have always done loads of endurance sports. I have always been teased though for being able to out-eat the men I run and cycle with.

I had noticed that my sleep improved when my hormone levels had started to fall a couple of years ago. I had also noticed that my appetite had gone down. I just didn't link these two things to estrogen levels. And the negatives of the menopause significantly outweighed any improvements by last year!

So please, can anyone tell me, since I have clearly always had high estrogen levels, is this right for me? Or should I try to find a mid point by switching to gels instead of pills (I was thinking about doing this later anyway)? Or am I going to need to accept a trade off?

The not sleeping much didn't bother me for the first three weeks because I've got so much energy. It hit me yesterday after a series of latish nights - and this was always the way for me. I've just slept for about 7 hours but I could have done with another hour or two!

I would really appreciate any thoughts.

Thank you in advance.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Is normal for me right?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 04:51:08 PM »

How were you when you had regular periods?  I used to get very hungry 8-10 days before a bleed, also I was extremely thirsty as well as being tired and cried easily 24 hours before a period began.  What you notice now may be a pattern of your earlier years which you have forgotten?

Chrislm

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 11:58:41 PM »

Hi CLKD

Yes, I have definitely had these symptoms before for most of my adult life.mIt seems that going up to 2 mg has brought them on.

I cut back to 1 mg again today and don't feel so wired (although still pretty hungry).

Can I ask, do you get these symptoms now?

I have decided to go back and ask for gels so I can try a halfway house - see if I can find the sweet spot.

Thanks for posting.

Rowan

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 09:58:04 AM »

Not surprising Chrisim, estrogen (increasing appetite) produces fat cells and fat cells produce estrogen. It is a growth hormone.

Have a look at this info

http://www.drlam.com/articles/estrogen_dominance.asp

Anjia

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 03:06:38 PM »

Just read that information on estrogen Silverlady I am taking estrogen only, this Has scared the hell out of me and I was doing ok !

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 04:40:18 PM »

Not as often .......... learnt to graze every 3 hours to keep blood sugar levels even as advised by NAPS

Rowan

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 05:00:25 PM »

Not sure why Anjia if you are doing OK and you have no side effects then you don't have oestrogen dominance.

There is a school of though that says even if you only take estrogen (hysterectomy) then it should be balanced it with progesterone, but I only use a dab now and then.

I keep my estrogen low so that I don't get the jittery feeling, sore breasts and hopefully not put weight on.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 06:58:07 PM by silverlady »

Anjia

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 08:44:06 PM »

I do take estrogen because of a hysterectomy do I need progesterone sometimes I get anxiety bit confused now by a dab I take it its in a form of cream sorry to sound a bit thick, maybe I need to read up more.

Chrislm

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2013, 08:09:49 AM »

Thanks for your comments everyone.

I had read another article about estrogen dominance posted by another lady on here and that had identified the symptoms I was feeling as well. It came as a bit of a revelation really to see that this has always been something I have had during parts of my cycle.

I switched to oestrogen and utrogestan earlier this week in the hope that I can get the right level for me. I think my estrogen might still be a bit high but I am due to introduce the progesterone tomorrow so that might help. Fingers crossed!