Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Can you kick start a period ???  (Read 4375 times)

Spangles

Can you kick start a period ???
« on: December 16, 2013, 07:18:53 AM »

Hi Ladies

I'm taking HRT but my periods have stopped again, I'm 3 months without one now. I don't miss them but I am so full of PMT it's driving me mad and I really feel that a period would alleviate it. Are there any ways that you can kick start a period?

Thanks

Shellb
xXx

:)

Taz2

Re: Can you kick start a period ???
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 07:46:41 AM »

I know that feeling!!

Which HRT are you on Shellb?

Taz x

Spangles

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 07:50:53 AM »

Hi Taz

I'm on Femseven Sequi, I've been on it for six months now, the first 3 months were great so I don't know what's happened!

Thanks
Shellb
xXx

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 08:25:24 AM »

Are the patches sticking properly without having to use tape to hold them in place? It could be that you are not fully absorbing the hormones so that you are not getting enough progesterone withdrawal at the start of the new pack to start your bleed. Annoying!

Taz x

Spangles

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 07:11:19 AM »

Hi Taz
Yes I do have problems getting them to stick but they have been ok for the last two weeks. Do you know if there are different doses of Femseven? I am off to the doctors later as the anxiety is high and the flushes are returning.
Thanks
Shellb
xXx

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 07:48:06 AM »

There aren't different doses of Femseven but it sounds as if you are not absorbing the hormone properly if your flushes are returning. This happened to me and I went back to Evorel although I do get PMT on this one. It is really annoying that Femseven, which is a good product, has this sticking problem which is not acknowledged by the manufacturers no matter how many comments they seem to get!!

Have you considered using an oestrogen gel together with Utrogestan for the progesterone? There are a lot of posts about this on the forum so you may like to do a search using the search button in the blue bar at the top of the page. It may be helpful to print off any info you find relevant as not all GP's are familiar with this regime.

Good luck!

Taz  x

Spangles

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 08:19:26 AM »

Hi Taz

Thanks for the information. I have read about utrogestan and I am worried about using it as I have a history of depression which I am also feeling at the moment, because of this I don't want to take anything that may aggravate it. I really am stuck with this one!

Thanks

Shellb
xXx

honeybun

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 02:39:22 PM »

I didn't think that utrogestan would cause depression in fact it is one of the best tolerated progesterones as it the most identical to our own hormone.

I do understand the dilemma though. It's so difficult to get it right and to feel well.

Honeyb
x

Spangles

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 02:44:19 PM »

Hi Ladies

I saw the doctor this morning, we discussed the 'dilema' and she said she would read through my notes and call me back with a decision.
She called back and the first option was estrogen plus mirena coil which I declined as I have fibroids and I don't want anything invasive.
The second option was estrogen only for 13 weeks with two weeks of progesterone, as this was all done on the phone I am not sure which types she has given me until I collect my prescription later. I will let you know.
Have any of you heard of this regime?

Thanks
Shellb
xXx

honeybun

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 03:35:22 PM »

The big question for me would be is this enough progesterone to keep the womb lining within acceptable limits.
I guess you try this regime with the understanding that you could have a scan to reassure you this is safe.

Can I ask why you won't consider a conti HRT. Then you could be sure there would be no build up and no bleed.

Honeyb
x

Spangles

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 04:00:05 PM »

Hi Honeyb

My doctor said that was the next stage providing I still didn't have a bleed.
Obviously it's all trial and error until we get it right, but yes I will be due another scan after the first three months. I did have an endometrial ablation two years ago so I don't think there is much lining any way.

xXx

Hurdity

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 04:46:42 PM »

Hi shellb

I imagine you will have been given Tridestra.
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/perimeno.php
Scroll down to long cycle treatment

This is prescribed for women who are not quite post-meno but whose periods come infrequently- as you will see from the description.

However if this is the case you will be going from a transdermal method to oral HRT so you may well notice a difference on that front.

Some women get heavy bleeds on these but if it's been prescribed best to try it and see, and hope for the best. Lovely to have most of the time without a progestogen though!

Hurdity x