Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Vitamins  (Read 2852 times)

toffeecushion

Vitamins
« on: December 11, 2013, 02:12:29 PM »

Can anyone recommend a good multi vitamin for perimenopausal women.

Thanks

Kathleen

Re: Vitamins
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 04:05:50 PM »

Hello toffeecushion.
I am post menopausal and have tried many different vitamins and minerals over the last three years. In all honesty it is hard to say if any of them have made a difference the exception being with iron absorption. I was told recently that my iron levels were low and advised to take a supplement however I found the tablets made me constipated so I've just started on a liquid formula and I can see it's working ( as you know stools become darker with more iron in the diet, even black if there is a lot of iron). So far I feel okay and no tummy troubles so I'll see how it goes.
I'm sure there will be other ladies along with their experiences which that will help you decide what to do. 
Take care.
K.

Rowan

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 04:21:03 PM »

I take these  Quest Super Once A Day Time Release formula ensures that water soluble nutrients are available to the body throughout the day.

have for years.

Winterose

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 07:10:49 PM »

I saw a top  nutritionist blog and she was asked what she took and she said , omega 3 , b complex and vit d , that was all , am trying it out, :P

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 08:39:21 PM »

Vitamins are supposedly helpful in staving off Alzeheimers Disease ……….. apparently as we age we supposedly do not absorb vitamins from our food as we did when younger  ???

Some vitamins need others in order to aid absorption.  Some give me the runs  ::)

andius

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 02:35:45 AM »

Be careful.

I never took vitamins until perimenopause.  I have had a lot of burning urethral issues with menopause.

I recently stopped taking a multivitamin and now just continue with my vit D/calcium and b12.

My urethra is much better without the vitamins.  I think somehow they were making my urine too acidic (vit C ?) and that was keeping me constantly irritated with the already challenged urethral tissue from low estrogen.  With water soluble vitamins, what you don't use  comes out in the urine.

I hope that makes sense.  I am not 100% sure about this yet, but it has been almost a month and I am about 75% better.  I am trying the natural way instead....i.e. eating more vegetables.

Andius

Rowan

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 09:58:51 AM »

If I had any problems I would post about them certainly, I have never had any problems with VA, bladder or urethra, my health is good and the only thing bothering me is lower left back pain which came on at the end of last year through carrying heavy shopping.

I have taken a vitamins most of my life staring with what the NHS supplied when we were babies, my mum was into complementary medicine and all of us were encouraged to look after our health and take vitamins and we all have through our lives, it has kept us all young.

It has paid off, there are lots of different vitamin supplements on the market and there will be one to suit, I hope this has answered the thread question, there are preparations geared to the peri menopause woman and H&B or your local heath shop would be glad to advise.

I feel QUEST is one of the best on the market a little expensive but you get what you pay for.

Toffeecusion asked about a recommendation for a good multi vitamin for perimenopauseal women and I answered, I am sure she know the  about a good diet being important too its been talked about enough on the forum, obviously if you do have problems with a burning urethra it would be wise also to avoid foods that exacerbate the problem.