Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Washing Machine Scum  (Read 13400 times)

libby1

Washing Machine Scum
« on: December 10, 2013, 09:12:42 AM »

Hi Girls

My washing machine smells and sometimes the washing has scum on it when I take it out of the drum  >:(

Any ideas? I've tried running it empty on a hot wash with soda crystals and then again with vinegar but it's not helping  :(

It's only a few years old but is used a lot!!

Libby
x

Joyce

Re: Washing Machine Scum
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 09:39:55 AM »

Dr Beckmann washing machine cleaner. Works for mine. Thanks for reminding me, need to do my machine again.  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 11:22:32 AM »

I had a thread 'my washing smells' or something similar  ::) ....... I put lemon juice through a 40 empty wash and another time put vinegar the same.  I think it was something in the local water supply, lots of new houses being built and my neighbour also noted that her clothing was less than fresh  >:(.  I also used a 'cleaner' but can't remember the name, stopped using 'comfort'-type powder and it's been OK since.

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 03:22:02 PM »

Do you use powder or liquid. They do say powder is much better. You could have a build up of goo somewhere in the pipes. Machines rarely reach the hottest of temperatures. I put powder in the drawer and run in boiling water from the kettle and also a splash of bleach. No clothes when I do this  ;D

Honeyb
X

libby1

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 03:30:04 PM »

Ordered som Dr Beckmann - thank you  :)

I use liquid capsules  ???

Hot washes, vinegar and soda crystals don't seem to have helped in fact may have made it worse (maybe by dislodging some of the gunk?)

I guess I'll have to wait for the Dr Beckmann stuff to arrive.

Libby
x

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 03:39:13 PM »

I would switch to powder if I were you. I have had plumbers tell me you extend the life time of your machine if you stick to them.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 04:13:01 PM »

I have used powder as a preference for years.  I found that other types stuck to the drawer  ::)

Also - I found that the powder did not come out of the clothing if washed at a low temperature, powder needs heat to dissolve it! even if it is supposedly 'low temperature powder'  >:( - usual wash is 50degs., towels/jeans/pants/bedding go through at 60!

Joyce

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 04:32:24 PM »

My newish washing machine came with instructions to use liquid gel, not powder. The gel capsules are apparently the worst for gunking up pipes.

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 04:55:26 PM »

Any tips from this old thread? http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15356.0.html

I do a boil wash once a week using bio powder and it stays fresh.

Taz x

libby1

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 06:32:23 PM »

Thanks Taz  :)

dylan

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 06:49:36 PM »

have you tried useing the , liquid not the powder . i had this and , i then , used the liquid for a while , and it worked ;)

andius

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 12:31:20 AM »

Maybe run a load of white towels with bleach on hottest water?

Andius

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2014, 01:57:26 PM »

Dishwasher is showing that it requires 'salt' ….. even though I've filled up the salt compartment  :-\ …… given it a stir with a long handled spoon …….. sensor gone?

Linsey44

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2014, 02:57:16 PM »

I clean around seal and door, take out drawer clean it and also clean the area that the drawer has come out of as think gets gunky, then put it on a 90 degree cycle once a month.

I leave my washing machine door open all the time when its not being used.

This is usually enough to stop any build up.

Joyce

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2014, 03:01:53 PM »

Have you used a cleaner in it recently CLKD? I seldom use salt in mine.  But do keep it topped up with rinse aid.
Pages: [1] 2 3