Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Why not forever?  (Read 11776 times)

Chrislm

Why not forever?
« on: December 09, 2013, 10:59:01 PM »

Does anyone know why women are discouraged, or even prevented, from taking HRT forever after the menopause?

I have read (of course) that it is not natural for our bodies to have estrogen later in life. Yet if you look at the 'normal' range for post menopausal women, the upper end is pretty high.

So if post menopausal women can have naturally quite high levels, surely it can't be a problem to raise them with HRT?

I feel so so good now. I love my life and I want be able to carry on making the most of it for as long as is possible. I have had two (mercifully quite brief) periods when my hormone levels were low and it was really hard to find joy in the day to day. Now that my joy is back, I feel like I would do almost anything to protect it.

Perhaps I am in denial, but it just doesn't seem right that we are supposed not to feel right??

I should say, I'm not yet 50 so it's not as though I'm facing imminent withdrawal, but the speed that life is flying by, I'm sure it won't be too long before I am!

Taz2

Re: Why not forever?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 11:28:14 PM »

Hi Chris - it seems to be the length of time a woman is exposed to oestrogen which affects the cancer risk. If a women begins her periods early and has a late menopause then this is one of the risk factors for certain cancers so it stands to reason that if you prolong the time that high levels of oestrogen are present in the body by using HRT for a long time then the greater the risk. The risk of stroke is also thought to rise as we get older and still use HRT and also the risk of heart disease.  It also seems that not much research has yet been carried out on the use of HRT in over sixty year olds!

Taz  x

devonhil

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 12:43:57 AM »

Hello chrislm

I so agree with you!

I was just commenting on a similar thing in another thread. As Taz says, the HRT risks are said to increase with age but there seems to be little research on women 10+ years post-menopausal on which to base these increased risk factors. I imagine the risks get harder to assess as the subjects in any study are more likely to get age-related illnesses anyway. The risk of most cancers rises considerably with age, as do strokes etc. Also, there are some contradictions in these studies suggesting that more exposure to hormones over a lifetime = more risk. Studies show that more pregnancies and prolonged breast-feeding lower risks of breast cancer considerably - hormone quantities are huge during pregnancy!

The idea that estrogen (and progesterone) in older women is not natural is an interesting one. We are happy (and often encouraged) to take plenty of other substances - statins, hypertension-controllers, anti-inflammatories etc. so I find it a bit odd that the use of naturally-occuring hormones is so frowned upon.  My dad took a drug for high blood pressure every day for the last 30 years of his life until his death (from an accident - not related to his health). It carried risks to take that drug but there was no question that he shouldn't take it every day for life and it certainly wasn't natural.

Our medical system does everything in it's power to prolong life with every available drug and surgical intervention (all highly unnatural - previously we'd just have died of old age!) so why the problem with taking a substance which may improve the quality of that prolonged life? Especially when risk factors are not too clear or can at least be assessed on a case by case basis so informed decisions can be made.

I, personally, would like to be able to choose for myself whether I am prepared to take the risks of staying on HRT if I feel great on it. Natural - my a***!

hil x

ps I'm one of the younger ones too (47). I'm not even on HRT yet and already I'm fretting about being made to stop!

Meg

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 02:31:27 AM »

This is a very interesting one.  I regret to say that it seems many women are totally perplexed as to how they can get control of menopausal symptoms.  My own doctor must be typical of many others who are refusing to prescribe hormone replacement therapy let alone work with a patient to find one that can be tolerated.  Then there is the question of whether you want withdrawal bleeds forever if you have a uterus or if you can tolerate any of the progestins or progesterone available.  Coming off HRT cold turkey if you had to for health reasons would be a tricky one.  The alternatives to HRT seem to be anti-depressants, clonidine and then there are the other meds you might need to sort out problems brought on because of dropping oestrogen.  The thing is we need more really good advice from people who are really experienced in treatment of menopause because it is so important for so many women's well-being.  Sorry if this all seems a bit negative.  59 and still flushing etc.

Meg

Chrislm

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 08:05:52 AM »

Thank you all for your replies. As it ever, it is so interesting to hear the views of other women.

I have seen some of the various reports about increased cancer risks, Taz2, but like Hil says, there is a lot of contradiction and it gets harder as people get older to distinguish between age related and other factors. I am very far from convinced that there is clear evidence against HRT over 60.

I am fortunate that my GP practice is exceptionally good. I have seen a few doctors there but one in particular made an interesting point to me when I saw her recently to change my HRT dose. She said that the she believes that women do not need progesterone beyond menopause. She thinks the reason it is still prescribed to prevent the build up of the uterus is merely outdated advice. And this makes sense to me. I can well believe that it isn't good for us to keep on taking synthetic progesterone, but estrogen, at the quantities in HRT, seems to give women what some post menopausal women have anyway.

Meg, I agree we need good advice, but perhaps also some more challenges to the current thinking. I don't know if you wanted to take HRT, but I think it is outrageous if you are being prevented by your GP. Presumably he would happily stick you on anti depressants for the rest of your life, as Hil says!!

I have never had mental problems, the ones I had (only quite briefly so I am not moaning) were all physical. I went from being a very fit, active, happy person to a stiff, tired, sickly old woman. Now, on HRT, I'm at the front of the pack with my womens cycling club again. I simply cannot, and will not ever believe that this is not better for me and everyone who knows me, works with me, lives with me etc. that I should stay feeling like this for as long as possible.

There are many examples of where medical advice is out of date and it can remain out of date for ages. A good example would be the current change in advice relating to osteoarthritis. (This is another area of interest to me because I don't know anyone over 45 who has done serious sport all their lives and still has all their cartilage). The latest advice from NICE, which is still in preparation, tells a very different story and suggests a very different way of treating it to the previous guidance which has been around for years. And I know from my own experience that the new guidance clearly makes much much more sense.

So maybe things will change re guidance for HRT. I just wish there was more that we could do to prompt intelligent debate. Perhaps it is already happening?

devonhil

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 09:49:40 AM »

your GP's opinion that progesterone beyond menopause is not necessary is interesting.

Have you read anything written by Dr John Lee? He's a US medic who has written a number of books on hormones and menopause and is absolutely convinced that progesterone (but NOT progestins) is vital and far more important than oestrogen! He reckons that a lot of menopause symptoms are caused by oestrogen dominance as, whilst oestrogen drops at menopause, progesterone almost vanishes completely so the ratio of the two is severely altered.

His argument for the importance of progesterone (through menopause and post-menopause) backs up evidence I mentioned earlier - that pregnancy considerably reduces breast cancer risk. A pregnant women produces around 200 times the progesterone of a healthy non-menopausal woman during a normal menstrual cycle! At birth that huge rise in progesterone completely drops and he believes that dive in hormone levels may well be a big factor in post-natal depression. Maybe there could be a link between low progesterone and low mood in menopause?

As you rightly say, we really need more hormone experts in the UK to give clear advice regarding menopause and hormone balance. Sadly, most of the politicians in charge of funding for more research/debate are men  ::)

It is a real tragedy for their patients that there are still GPs out there who have such an extreme bias against HRT. Is there really nothing that can be done for those patients? I know this is a regular topic on this forum, but so many of the women who are refused by one GP are also refused by subsequent GPs at the same practice (due to some sort of colleague solidarity?) and changing surgeries is not always an option, especially for those of us in rural locations or without adequate transport provision.

When I hear brilliant success stories like yours Chris it makes me incredibly angry that your 'health' could be taken away again some time in the future. Especially if that decision is based on guidelines which, as you say regarding arthritis, often alter considerably over time anyway >:(

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 10:00:24 AM »

Oh ladies, what a great thread.  You have all brought up such good questions and thoughts.
I have recently come off HRT for a break to see where I am(I'm 57) and so far flushes etc have not been too bad but my hips are really hurting at the moment. I was a professional dancer so my joints have taken a battering - I'm reasonably slim, walk a lot, love gardening and my job as a tour guide involves climbing stairs etc.
My instincts tell me I should probably just take a very low dose of oestrogen over the longer term but,  as has been mentioned, it's the retched progesterone bit that is the problem.  I am using Vagifem for the dreadful burning I get around my urethra but it's not really helping and sex is getting progressively more painful, so it's clearly not helping things in the nether regions - 10mg is obviously not enough!
Healthy debate is definitely needed. I think we all want a better round of trials over the longer term. Many GPs desperately need more training.
There are so many different triggers for cancer and heart decease, stress being one of them.  When they do these trials on HRT do they take into account the stress in an individual's life? How can they really know it was HRT that truly caused the cancer when there are so many other factors that play a part.
Do we know what a healthy oestrogen level should be post menopause - with or without HRT? Why isn't our oestrogen level routinely checked alongside other things. 
I believe we will see a time when oestrogen will be used routinely as a preventative, after all the cost of osteoporosis alone would make it worthwhile.
I feel a lobby group coming on - more research please.
DG x

Rowan

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 10:41:01 AM »

Dancinggirl thought you might be interested in this

http://womensvoicesforchange.org/tag/menostar

http://menopause.emedtv.com/menostar/menostar-dosage.html

You don't have to take progesterone with Menostar 14mcg. Its not available in the UK as far as I know, though  have asked my GP about it.

You could get round it by halving a lowest dost patch if you are post menopause, the dosage is not enough to build up the lining of the womb, if I had not had a hysterectomy this is what I would do for the sake of my bones. I would use it long term.

I usually keep my 25mch patch on for a week and use tape to keep it from falling off at the moment, if Menostar becomes available in the UK I would switch. Its designed to stay on for a week.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 10:43:45 AM by silverlady »

devonhil

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 10:44:43 AM »

DG -

that's a really good point about stress being pretty much impossible to assess properly in a controlled trial. I firmly believe that stress is a huge factor in health anyway. High stress = high cortisol levels = hormone imbalance and raised risk of heart problems, stroke, diabetes etc.

One thing which really needs thinking about with any hormone trials post-menopause is the stress caused by returning symptoms without HRT (such as the joint pain you mention) to counter any increased risks of being on HRT (and hence with less symptoms and stress).  Very hard to measure though.

I also wonder if the medical world has any idea of 'safe' doses of oestrogen post-menopause. It just seems to be accepted that oestrogen falls and that's just part of ageing - but why? We fight ageing in other areas of medicine so why not hormonally? What is wrong with wanting the hormone levels of younger (and healthier) women? We want (and spend lots of money attempting to achieve) younger skin, younger hair etc., why not younger insides (with the potential benefits of reducing age-related diseases like osteoporosis)?

The whole thing needs very careful analysis.

On a separate note DG you mention "retched progesterone" - have you had a bad experience with it?

hil

Chrislm

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 01:29:02 PM »

Dancinggirl, Hil, yes, yes, yes! It is so important that we understand more about the impact of hormones on health. The perimenopause has certainly highlighted this to me so clearly. I am very interested in your comments about progesterone and I will look at the stuff by Dr John Lee. (Although I have generally been very healthy in the past, I did have problems with low progesterone levels in my 30s and as I told my GP, many of the symptoms felt the same then as the menopause symptoms I started to get more recently, although not all. Also interestingly, I was given norithesterone then which I couldn't tolerate but I'm fine with the lower dose of it in Elleste Duet).

Your point about stress is so important.

Also interested in your comment about your joint pain Dancinggirl. I have read that osteoarthritis increases in the menopause but I bet it doesn't! I am sure it is just that we get joint pain in menopause and when it is checked out, tests reveal cartilage wear which was there already. It is another medical effect of the menopause which is just accepted.

One of my recent obsessions has been why we see few women over 50 taking part in different sports compared to men over 50 and younger age groups. I am sure that it is the effect of the menopause making it challenging for many women just to get through the day!!

We need to find a sensible female MP to lobby!

It would be great to hear from any women who are from within the medical profession who might have a perspective.

And Dancinggirl, I wish you the very very best of luck coming off HRT. I hope it goes as well as it possibly can for you and that the quality of you life isn't affected too much. You seem pretty savvy about all things menopause so I am sure you are aware of the different forms of progesterone. When I was in my 30s I used I used cyclogest pessaries which worked well.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 04:53:29 PM »

It's so good airing our frustration - such good issues coming to light.
devonhil - Like most women I found it was the progesterone that seemed to cause side effects.  I've had a Mirena for the last few years on the basis that it has less side effects.  When I was peri I used oestrogel with progesterone pills each month and got terrible period pain &/or headaches with the withdrawal bleed - so yes, my experience of progesterone is not good.
I find it very interesting about progesterone, or rather the lack of it, being as important as oestrogen - something else we need clarity about!!!!
I have to say I'm not desperate to go back on HRT but definitely want to be proactive in preventing long term problems like osteoporosis.
silverlady - thank you for the links - very interesting.
Chrislm - thanks for your kind support. I was peri from my mid 30s and one of my symptoms was bad joint pain even then. HRT has definitely helped (not sure quite why).  I was thinking of restarting my dance class i used to lead a couple of years ago but if my hips are bad I don't see me doing it.
I will probably do a thread under 'Personal Experiences' about my withdrawal from HRT.  Firstly because so many women dread coming off HRT and, so far, it hasn't been as bad as last time (i had a 3 year break from HRT after all the scares in 2002 ) - also what steps I take for the longer term.  Incidentally, re: stress - I am enjoying a relatively stress free phase at the moment, unlike when I had the break from HRT before and life was extremely stressful, and I'm thinking that may well be why my meno symptoms are less severe!!!!
DG x

Chrislm

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 05:13:17 PM »

Dancinggirl, yes please do share your experience of coming off HRT. I am sure many of us will be very interested to hear about your progress. :) :) ;) :) :)

I am very glad that your life is better and less stressful now. I am sure it is easier to deal with menopause symptoms when life is less stressful, even if the symptoms themselves are just the same! (I still remember with horror delivering a presentation to a high profile board up in Scotland with sweat running down the sides of my face! I doubt anyone's stress levels could deal with that easily! :)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 06:55:43 PM »

Oh Chrislm
What a ghastly experience. :hot flash:
DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2013, 08:05:52 PM »

Very interesting thread - and has been covered quite a lot recently.

There is a lot to reply to but I can't concentrate on all of it at once!

First of all those of you who are not yet 50 - well really don't worry at all!!! The most important thing is to make sure you take oestrogen until at least the average age of natural menopause - 51 in UK. By the time you reach 60, recommendations, practice and guidelines will have changed dramatically.

There was mention about out of date guidelines - many of you will have seen on this site that a group has been set up to revise the Nice guidelines on menopause - the Menopause Guidelines Development Group which Heather Currie informed us about. Menopause Matters is one of the stakeholders - consultees on the guidelines. They are due to be published I think in 2015 and when the draft guidelines have been prepared I am sure Dr Currie will post on this site for comments - so this will be your chance to have an input. The scope of the guidelines has already been prepeared so may not cover all the areas you are interested in.

Someone mentioned her doc reporting the addition of progesterone to HRT post-menopausally as outdated
"She said that the she believes that women do not need progesterone beyond menopause. She thinks the reason it is still prescribed to prevent the build up of the uterus is merely outdated advice. And this makes sense to me. I can well believe that it isn't good for us to keep on taking synthetic progesterone",

The GP is surely mistaken? It is incontrovertibly the case that oestrogen works by stimulating the uterus lining with a blood supply which causes it to thicken. Reliable trials have confirmed this mechanistic explanation in practice. There is definitley an increased risk of endometrial hyperplasia from unopposed oestrogen, which can lead to cancer.

Re synthetic progestogens - I quite agree. These are definitely alien to our bodies and I would not want to take these for any length of time.

Re all the trials and long term effects of HRT. As already discussed there is a multiplicity of factors which can increase the risk of cancer as we age and it is difficult to establish causal relationships and correct for one effect in any trial data. However the trials on which the risk date are based were carried out using conjugated equine oestrogens ( the Premique/Premarin type) and synthetic progestogens - and were shown to be flawed. There are additional more recent studies - in Denmark for example - using bio-identical HRT which come to different conclusions. I am sure there will be more of these over the coming years.

Regarding out of date advice - unfortunately GPs are not up to date on all matters and anyone who encounters out-dated thinking would do well to ask to be referred to a menopause clinic - and to ask to see a gynae not a nurse. The view now is that women should be allowed to stay on HRT as long as they wish, provided the risks have been explained, and there is no other medical reason why not.

Here is the most up-to-date statement by the British Menopause Society and Women's Health Concern
http://min.sagepub.com/content/19/2/59

This website too lists the risks as equal to the benefits between the ages of 60 and 70.
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/balance.php

Regarding hormones and post-natal depression - it is illuminating to read the work of Prof Studd who attributes this to a decline in oestrogen levels
http://www.studd.co.uk/
http://www.studd.co.uk/postnataldepression.php

Regarding John Lee's theories - we have to remember that the health care system in America is very different from ours and has led to a plethora of different therapies, and supplements, many of which are the subject of dubious claims and lack the scientific credibility of the products available in UK. The US themselves through the FDA also have trouble sometimes with regulating some of these products, which of course make a lot of money.

This website reviews some of the available information and studies on the use of progesterone at various points in a woman's life:

http://www.2womenshealth.com/Progesterone-Supplementation-Cream-Suppositories-Gel.htm

Amongst the references quoted, here is a fairly recent assessment of the use of progesterone for post-menopause from a UK university:

J Obstet Gynaecol. 2007 Oct;27(7):655-9.
Transdermal natural progesterone cream for postmenopausal women: inconsistent data and complex pharmacokinetics.
Elshafie MA, Ewies AA.
Faculty of Health Wellbeing and Science University Campus of Suffolk, UK.

Transdermal progesterone cream (PC) is propagated as a possible alternative to hormone replacement therapy (HRT) in the management of menopausal symptoms and treatment of osteoporosis. Nonetheless, considerable concerns were raised regarding the inconsistent results and the credibility of some studies that were not peer-reviewed. Further, the complex nature and diversity of the pharmacokinetics of progesterone led to difficult interpretation of the findings. Given the current best available evidence, using PC for postmenopausal therapy regimens should be considered as an unsubstantiated treatment option, and its clinical applications must be restricted to well-designed interventional trials that assess its efficacy and safety.

There is a lot more I could say but I think that's enough for now - got a bit carried away!

Hurdity  x

Taz2

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2013, 08:13:30 PM »

I have a box of tissues in the classroom just for me now to deal with the half hourly sweats. My glasses steam up too which is of great interest to the children!

The thing I hate the most is the constantly damp bra - horrible.

I was struck with a terrible thought today - if I am off HRT too long and then restart it will be as if I am starting from scratch and the stroke/blood clot risk is highest in the first year of using HRT!

Taz x  :-\
Pages: [1] 2 3