Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Books  (Read 13996 times)

Rowan

Books
« on: December 09, 2013, 12:02:48 PM »

I have so many books now and running out of space and I want to declutter, if I lived in a bigger house I would keep all my books.

I use to donate to my library but they don't want them now.

Does anyone know of any organisation who would collect from the house?

I have given some to the Heart Foundation and Well Woman Centre but the problem is parking and carting the books.

The books are all in mint condition and non fiction and relating to my interests, health etc..

ariadne

Re: Books
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 12:59:39 PM »

SL I'm in the same boat with lots of Music Biography and Autobiography books.  I did dispose of a lot of fiction books earlier this year but in the end they had to go to the tip because I just couldnt find anywhere that wanted them and as you say, they are too heavy to carry to charity shops which are always in the High Street with no parking.

I just can't bring myself to do the same with the music books though as they are collectables (by someone surely!) and meant a lot to me at the time I bought them. So they are still taking up space in the house.

There are some online places that take books but after entering the ISBN numbers, I found they still didn't want them!

Ariadne xx

Ju Ju

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 01:01:39 PM »

If you are prepared to wait till the summer and live near where a fete is organised, you may find that volunteers are willing to pick up your books. We run the book stall at our fete every year and collect books from people who cannot deliver them themselves.

littleminnie

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 01:07:57 PM »

EBay, gumtree or if all else fails freecycle?

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 03:53:21 PM »

Amazon buy back some books in the trade in centre.

We have a charity book shop in town which collects. How about a car boot sale in the spring.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 04:16:15 PM »

Abe books?  Books don't sell well, as I found when we tried to shift 200 of DH's sci fi plus some of mine.  Ended up driving them to the Charity warehouse .......... in this area of Northants the charities have dedicated book shops, Oxfam in particular.

There is a charity in Scotland that take books to africa.  You could try your local Rotarians too.  Local Church/Chapel, Youth Club, various Surgeries, freegle ................ we take ours to the National Trust, most Properties have 2nd-hand book rooms.  But some are closed from November so check the web-site first.

Wait until the New Year though!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 04:36:21 PM by CLKD »

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 05:05:53 PM »

I am sure a local charity shop would collect if it was worth their while.  I used to be a volunteer and our manageress often used to go out and do a collection.  Worth a try.

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 05:18:50 PM »

I've got loads of books I've been trying to get rid of but the market is very slow at the moment. Our local charity shops are not taking any at present either. It's a shame but seems to be the way of things nowadays they are just not shifting off the shelves.

Taz x

Rowan

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 06:11:31 PM »

Took some more books to the British Heart Foundation today, we loaded them into the back of the car and then loaded them into a shopping trolley on wheels,

The lady in the shop was delighted and said those sort of books were very popular, so I said I had plemty more.
It made me feel better as I thought they might have though I was odd having so many books on health etc.. I did say they had been all for study, college, work and Holistic Therapies.

I am getting quite a collection on my Kindle now and OH says I am having an I Pad for Christmas :o not an I Pad Air though, he has just ordered one from Apple for his own Xmas Christmas present, its in silver and they are engraving his name on it for free, that will keep him occupied over Christmas.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 07:34:39 PM »

Perhaps we should have a meno-book swap  :-X  ;D

honeybun

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, 08:01:22 PM »

I have to say I prefer my kindle these days. We donated all but precious books the last time we moved. I have some beautiful ones that belonged to my dad that I would never part with.

Honeyb
X

Rowan

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2013, 08:12:02 PM »

I have put aside a few I can't bear to part with, they are my older books and well read and not bought on amazon :) some my mum gave me

when I was in my thirties to prepare me for Menopause and still relevant today.

I wish my daughter was interested I have so much to hand down to her but she has not expressed any worries yet about what is to come.

Also aromatherapy books - The Fragrant Mind and The Fragrant Pharmacy by Valerie Ann Worwood, can't let those go.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 08:19:25 PM by silverlady »

oldsheep

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2013, 09:21:17 PM »

I've got loads of books, but am downloading more to the kindle app these days. When I get rid of books, I find I have to ring round the charity shops to see if they're taking them.
Amnesty also has occasional book sales.

Rowan

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2014, 12:42:09 PM »

Elizabeth Jane Howard has died  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-25581260

I have just finished listening to the last Cazalet series "All Change" and loved it, it rounded up the series of books nicely.

Going to go through the rest of her books now  starting with "The Beautiful Visit"

She was a fascinating beautiful woman with a very interesting life, her autobiography, Slipstream, was published in 2002, I have read that "The Cazelets" was almost an autobiography of her life,  going to see if its on Amazon.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 12:45:43 PM by silverlady »

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 10:25:51 AM »

Red Cross now print their own carrier bags  >:( ……….. when we are being told not to use carriers due to pollution issues and I do NOT put money into charity for this purpose  :bang:
Pages: [1] 2