Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Testing  (Read 2796 times)

Me40

Testing
« on: December 13, 2013, 03:39:07 PM »

Has anyone used the home testing kits? Or have any advice re home testing kits?
Thanks xx

Taz2

Re: Testing
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 03:47:40 PM »

I think that the results seem to be pretty unreliable much as the ones carried out by the GP are. In peri menopause hormones fluctuate so wildly day to day that it is difficult to gauge properly. Most women go on symptoms rather than a blood test result.

Do you have specific symptoms?

Taz  :)

Me40

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 04:09:20 PM »

my periods both on and off the pill used to be quite bog standard, the past few months have been but a light drizzle of old yucky dark brown stuff.  Feeling very tired all the time but I have 2 young sons?
Scans and 1 round of blood tests all normal.  Dr has taken some swabs for testing and when she had a look apparently I looked quite red and raw inside? I'm nearly 41.

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 04:11:18 PM »

I remember now.. you have not long finished breast feeding? It can take a while for the body to get back to normal so this might be screwing up your results a bit. Sorry if I've got that wrong!

Not sure about the red and raw inside part but at least the swabs will make sure you haven't got an infection going on. Have you noticed any dryness or have you had any cystitis type feelings?

Taz x

Me40

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 04:22:41 PM »

I stopped breastfeeding a year ago but never got my periods back after having baby in July 2012, went back on the pill and then came off again a few months later. 
Had cystitis symptoms a few months back and have had a constant general discomfort since.

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 05:03:24 PM »

Hopefully the swabs will show something but if not it could be that you have a degree of vaginal atrophy due to low hormone levels. It must be so frustrating for you. I hope you get some answers soon! Hopefully someone else will be along soon to give advice.

Taz  :hug:

Patientone

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 05:55:37 PM »

I used probably 10 New Choice Menopause Kits .. they test FSH. A positive test is 25 or above. some showed negiative some positive ...

They are $1.00 here at the drug store.

My recent bloodwork showed my  FSH is 58.3.