Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Anyone tried hops  (Read 2674 times)

Dancinggirl

Anyone tried hops
« on: December 10, 2013, 05:14:01 PM »

I've been struggling with sleep this week - the pain in my hips is waking me. I occasionally use the normal Nytol that usually gives me a good nights rest but I also find the Herbal Nytol helps a bit - it has valerian, hops and passaflora in it.
I thought I'd do some research on the net about hops and discovered that hops can help reduce meno flushes and also improves bone density. I'm particularly interested in the bone benefits.
I know that hops are related to cannibis and have a sedative effect - hence helping you to sleep.
As far as I know hops have never been mentioned in relation to menopause or osteoporosis  before. Can anyone give more info on this?  Has anyone tried hops as treatment?  DG x

littleminnie

Re: Anyone tried hops
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 05:33:58 PM »

I went through a phase of hops, I read that  they are good for reducing meno flushes. There is one particular beer that is supposed to be made with more hops than others which I tried. But I can't remember the name of it.   ::)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 06:51:00 PM »

I wasn't actually thinking of drinking beer, although I do enjoy and few mouthfuls of beer when my husband opens a bottle or has a pint down the pub. Unfortunately drinking beer may be counter productive as any benefit from the hops reducing flushes may be undone by the alcohol which can trigger flushes.
I was thinking of taking hops as a herbal remedy or tincture.
RE: beers with more hops - there are quite few, American or European IPA beers can be very hoppy.  DG x

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 07:22:46 PM »

On the other hand, if you drink enough you will not care if you have a flush or not  ;D

Honeyb
X

littleminnie

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 07:37:52 PM »

Exactly HB, we are on the same wavelength.  :)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 08:13:24 PM »

Good point honeybun :rofl: