Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Orthogynest Pessaries - update  (Read 3555 times)

Hurdity

Orthogynest Pessaries - update
« on: December 03, 2013, 07:50:45 PM »

After getting no reply from the e-mail I sent to the manufacturers about the discontinuation of Orthgynest pessaries (surprise surprise) I telephoned them today.

Unfortunately they have confirmed that following an internal review, they have discontinued the production of these.  :( After I got off the phone I realised I had forgotten to ask if that meant everywhere (since net doctor says discontinued in the UK http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/womens-health/medicines/ortho-gynest.html) but I am assuming so since PJ online  says they have been discontinued http://www.pjonline.com/discontinued_products

When I asked the reason the company spokeswoman for medical information that I spoke to just said there had been an internal review in August and that it was an old product that had been around for a long time.  >:( This of course beggars belief - I suppose it is thought of as old-fashioned - never mind whether it works or not and is the best alternative to Vagifem for those who don't want to use this.

So that's it folks - get as much as you can while you still can.  Of course there is still Ovestin and Gynest Cream which are estriol based - but you still have to fiddle around with an applicator and wash it after use - can't imagine faffing with that..... I'm off to order some more pessaries .....

Hurdity x

Limpy

Re: Orthogynest Pessaries - update
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 08:17:43 PM »

" it was an old product that had been around for a long time".

The reason it has been around is that it is good and is what people want and need.

It sounds like a lot of young - very young media graduates getting together and having an opinion. They do NOT want to listen to the people using the product. If enough people complain, loudly, they may well back down.

We  purchased a car 3 - 4 years ago, which handled really well. This car was designed around a particular tyre brand and model. About 6 months ago, tyre manufacturer decided to remove the original tyre, they "improved it". This improved version was c--p. Oh rang technical dept and discussed / complained. The tyre company reintroduced the good tyre.

Ladies we need to complain / discuss

Morwenna

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 09:21:41 PM »

I saw my GP on Wednesday and he said he thought they were still available and if not, that there was an 'alternative'. I guess he was referring to Vagifem and Ovestin, which are not the same in my opinion. Anyway I had no problem getting my repeat prescription but wonder how long for? It's disappointing, OG pessaries really suit me.

Thanks for looking into it Hurdity.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 10:09:28 PM »

I asked my GP last week and he didn't know they are being discontinued.  The Pharmacist at the Surgery assured me that they won't be discontinued.  Thanks for the heads up, will speak to a Lloyds Pharamacist to see what alternatives will be offered. I suspect that the NHS probably won't pay for them  >:( - many drugs go to mainland Europe because the Companies who have funded the Research and Development want profits which the NHS won't provide them with ...........  :-\