Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Serenity :bioidentical progesterone cream.  (Read 14149 times)

cecile

Serenity :bioidentical progesterone cream.
« on: December 02, 2013, 07:29:39 PM »

I found an advert for Serenity bioidentical progesterone cream for relief of menopause symptoms .
Does anyone here have any experience if using it? the advert makes some quite strong claims about Oestrogen dominance being the cause of menopause symptoms and the creams ability to alleviate them . I thought deficiency in Oestrogen was also a factor affecting women going through the meno??

Can anyone shed any light on this or direct me to some reading on it?

I currently take Femiston Conti. Im 51 . My GP says  I should be thinking about coming off it .( I went through early menopause & started on HRT at 46. I dont want to stop taking it .)... Anyway , long story , but would this cream be a  beneficial alternative?
It sounds too good to be true!

Cecilex

honeybun

Re: Serenity :bioidentical progesterone cream.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 07:33:28 PM »

It has been discussed on the forum before. If you put it in the search box then you will be able to see what has been said.

I don't think it was anything particularly positive to be honest. The only thing that really works is HRT but as we are all different who knows.

Honeyb
X

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 08:39:40 PM »

Hi cecile  -  on the subject of your doc wanting you to come off HRT at 51 as you have been on it since 46 is something which often leads to confusion. Up to the age of 51 you are not at risk from HRT as you are just replacing what your body should have been making anyway. The risks begin after the age of 51. What usually happens is that you take a break from HRT, once you get to the normal meno age of 51, just to see where you body is at. If you then get meno symptoms it is usually ok to restart HRT with a clean slate - as if you haven't taken it before. Your doc should not refuse you HRT at your age.

Taz x

andius

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 06:57:03 AM »

I know of some women in US who have had hysterectomies that use it, believing that it helps balance their estrogen hrt (since they don't have to have it to protect endometrium).  The creams are low dose and are not sufficient to protect endometrium in women retaining their uterus who take estrogen.

You can read some of their comments at hystersisters.com

Progesterone cream is otherwise used by women in perimenopause as the progesterone hormone tends to drop first, before the estrogen does.  That is the premise with estrogen dominance.  I never used it so I can't help you with any personal experience.

If you are already menopausal and still have your uterus....then serenity cream is probably not for you, but we are all different in our needs.

Andius

Winterose

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 09:04:03 AM »

I tried this when I first got symptoms thinking from all the hype it would cure everything but have to say it made not one jot of difference, neither to me or anyone else I knew who tried it, however perhaps it helps some people,  :-*

Joyce

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 11:34:14 AM »

Waste of money for me. I tried it, but didn't make a bit of difference. Better maybe to try alternatives. Check the green menu on the left of page. Some ladies do well on the alternatives, but only HRT has worked for me.

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 08:07:14 PM »

Hi cecile

I really wouldn't waste your money.

Yes oestrogen decreases until it reaches an all time low about 2 years after menopause and many life-long symptoms are due to oestrogen deficiency. If taking progesterone would alleviate menopausal symptoms then women who have had total hysterectomies would not experience symptom relief when they replace the oestrogen through HRT.

In addition as has been stated the amount of progesterone in these creams is very small.

The research to date has not confirmed the efficacy of these creams in relieving menopausal symptoms.

That being said, progesterone does perform vital functions in the body and also decreases after menopause. However taking bio-identical HRT (available on NHS) replaces both oestrogen and progesterone. If you want a "natural" product then you would need to change your progestogen to bio-identical progesterone (micronised progesterone), and take a separate oestrogen. The one you are taking in Femoston (dydrogesterone) is the closest available to our own progesterone though.

There are a lot of products, mainly manufactured and promoted in America but now available online, that will claim all sorts of things on dubious evidence and sadly make money out of women at a vulnerable time in their lives.

I can only echo what the others have said - you do not need to stop HRT and between the ages of 50 and 60 the benefits are thought to exceed the risks - see this site:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/balance.php

If your doctor tries to say otherwise, direct him/her to this site and some of the up to date references!

Hurdity x

cecile

Re: Serenity :bioidentical progesterone cream. Lp
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 10:12:01 PM »

Thank you all so much for your help
Its so refreshing to be able to get clear and knowledgable advice!
I suspected the cream sounded too good to be true. I just felt suddenly full of doubt when I read the advert. It helpful to hear from those of you who have tried it .
Thanks Taz & Hurdity for your wisdom and knowledge. My GP has left and the one im now seeing  seems to think differently. Im quite fed up of feeling like i have to justify to yet another  doctor why being on HRT is right for me.
I will stick to what im on - and explain to the GP that i feel the benefits outweigh the risks .

Thanks ladies .
Cecilex

Rowan

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 09:59:11 AM »

cecile I use the Serenity 20-1 progesterone and Estrogen plus estriol cream.

http://www.progesterone.co.uk/menopause.htm

A lot of women find natural progesterone very helpful they are just not on this forum or if they are they don't talk about it too much.

There are many books written by doctors that discuss natural progesterone cream eg. Dr John Lee "What Doctors don't tell you about menopause"

Catherine P Rollins, Dr.. Katherine Dalton and many others.

You can buy Natural progesterone cream from Amazon and there are pages and pages of reviews..

Some women find this hormone cream very helpful others do better on HRT, if  I was told by my doctor I had to come off HRT then I would be looking for other ways to feel better and support my body, and the best way is to read all you can and make your own mind up.  Its trial and error just as it is for some women searching for the right HRT that suits them

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15181.0.html

I use a  very low dose patch ( hysterectomy) and I confess I am more off it then on it now, I am also rather enjoying the weight coming off the top of my thighs and my tummy getting flatter :) but I do use a dab of the 20-1 cream, I am way post menopause and have not turn into a harridan, skin and hair excellent have never had VA and consider myself healthy. 

If your present HRT suits you ( and you have not health reasons why your doctor is concerned about you staying on it) and you are well on it then maybe its time if possible you saw another more sympathetic GP.

I hope I have given you a more balanced view to think about.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 11:50:16 AM by silverlady »

cecile

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 10:13:34 PM »

Thank you Silver Lady.
I will do as you suggest & have a bit more of a read . Thanks for the book  link. The GP doesnt know me really . The only thing that seems to be causing problems are fibroids ,though ive found them less troublesome on my current HRT.
Its interesting to read about your experience!
Thank you,
Cecilex