Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Cellulite creams  (Read 7472 times)

sophia

Cellulite creams
« on: June 07, 2013, 12:14:46 AM »

hiya just wondered if anyone has used Cellulite creams and do they work?

Elena

Re: Cellulite creams
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 04:16:04 AM »

Havent used them but cant imagine they do much good.  The action of massaging them in might make a small difference.

You can get massagers to use in the bath, sort of plastic pronged things.  Or use one of those massage gloves or mitts with some shower gel on.

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 07:11:17 AM »

A body brush is good. Start from the feet and brush towards the heart.

I wish there was a magic cream that did work.

Honeyb
X

clio

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 06:08:45 PM »

cellulite is too do with your diet, creams dont work.

andius

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 12:12:09 AM »

I read somewhere that the creams have caffeine in them which causes decrease in water content in the area, thus less puffiness.  Don't know if that is true.

I'm not so sure about the diet thing, certainly fatter people have more cellulite.  However, when I was 20 and weighed 118 at 5'7, I had cellulite on my thighs and the rest of me was bone thin.  I think it starts with genetics. Now I'm at the weight I was when I was ready to deliver my first child  :o and still have cellulite (of course more of it too!)....such a shame to get old!

Andius

Rowan

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 10:38:36 AM »

Estrogen is the culprit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellulite

Its what we were taught a College when we were studying "The Anatomy of the Skin"

« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 10:42:17 AM by silverlady »

Scampi

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 02:37:33 PM »

'Cellulite' is an invention of the cosmetics industry, nothing more.  A far more accurate name would be 'female-pattern adipose tissue', but no-one would believe you could 'cure' that with lotions and potions!

The easiest way to explain why women have the bumpy fat known as 'cellulite' and men don't is this:
You skin is held in shape by a 'web' of connective tissue - in women, the web is quite loosely woven, rather like the net you buy oranges im, whilst in men the net is tighter.  Your fat cells (we all have them, no matter how slim we might be!) are like bags of semi-set jelly, whilst men's fat cells are smaller and denser (prod and beer-gut and you'll see what I mean about dense fat!).  So, put soft female fat cells in a net bag, and they bulge through - 'cellulite'!!

It gets more common/pronounced with age as the connective tissue web slackens (also the cause of wrinkles and 'saggy bits'!), and obviously it's more pronounced in those of us with bigger fat cells!!

Whilist a cream may temporarily tighten the connective tissue (like an anti-wrinkle cream does), it can't make a permanent difference, nor can a cream change the underlying fat cells (if only!).

That said, if you find a cream that YOU think makes a difference, and makes YOU feel good, it's worth its weight in gold and of course you should use it.  But use it because YOU want to, not because the advertising hype says you should.

Rowan