Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Terrible accident in Glasgow  (Read 9072 times)

honeybun

Terrible accident in Glasgow
« on: November 30, 2013, 10:04:23 AM »

I have been in a pure and unreasonable panic this morning after learning that a police helicopter crashed into a Glasgow pub.
My daughter was in the city last night. I knew where she was going and thankfully it was a good way away from this horrible accident.

What a terrible thing to have happened. These poor people.

Honeyb
X

Joyce

Re: Terrible accident in Glasgow
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 11:14:30 AM »

I was thinking about you HB, your heart must have been in your mouth. My nephew lives in Glasgow as does daughter's friend. My brother & her folks must have felt likewise. I'm resisting the urge to phone my brother, as I feel sure if anything had happened he would have phoned by now.  Dreadful thing to happen. Amazed there was no fire afterwards.

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 12:42:18 PM »

I can only imagine what that must have been like having spent many hours in pubs just like this listening to local bands. So sad for those involved.

I wonder if there was no helicopter fuel left to burn?

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 01:23:56 PM »

I think they were very lucky that there was no fire.
It's all over the news here. I think there are a good few hero's. People formed a human chain and rescued a lot of injured people before the emergency services arrived.

Very black day for Glasgow.

I have to admit to being very relieved that my daughter was in another part of the city. She did say that it was very busy last night with everywhere packed.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 02:11:39 PM »

I wonder how I would react in a similar situation? 

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 05:49:23 PM »

The speculation now is that the lack of fire is because the helicopter ran out of fuel  :-\

Honeyb
X

Joyce

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 06:20:05 PM »

That was my first reaction. If that's the case, pilot would be held to ransom as it's his responsibility to make sure his aircraft is flight-worthy. However, as he was one of the dead, not sure whether the police would then be held responsible.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 06:21:39 PM by cubagirl »

Limpy

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 06:54:41 PM »

I was wondering about your daughter HB when I heard about this, this morning, glad she's ok.

I listened to 2 local blokes being interviewed on the Today programme this morning.
One was just on his way into the pub to meet up with his mate and listen to the music, he was an ex firefighter. The other was a journalist who was in the city at the time. They were both so impressive in the way they described the situation. Clear, concise and informative.

honeybun

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2013, 07:41:51 PM »

Eight people now confirmed dead and fourteen badly injured.
My son is in the city tonight and he has texted me to say it's all very quiet and subdued. Not like Glasgow at all.

I love Glasgow. It's a friendly city with a welcome for all.

Feeling strangely sad tonight. Used to go to loads of this kind of pub to listen to music when I was young.

Sad day and very close to home. One of the club's my daughter goes to is very very near.

Honeyb
X

Joyce

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2013, 08:27:11 PM »

Glasgow folk are by far the friendliest, always strike up conversations with complete strangers. Their reaction last night does not surprise me in the slightest. They'd do anything to help.

It's just so scary when these things happen.  I know what you mean about the silence HB, Aberdeen was the same after Piper Alpha, quite eerie.

Limpy

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2013, 08:45:10 PM »

I like Glasgow.

A couple of years ago we were staying in a hotel, just over the Erskine bridge. It had been a hard day and long journey so around 4pm we found ourselves in the bar. The lady in charge came over and asked me what I would like to drink, I said gin & tonic please at which point she glares at OH and growls "do you want anything?" Subdued, he whimpered "same again" It still makes me laugh.

This was a Friday afternoon, there had been a wedding over the weekend. When we went down to breakfast on Sunday morning the bar was still going strong!

honeybun

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2013, 09:26:22 PM »

No where does a party quite like Glasgow  :drunk:

I used to drive past that hotel on my way to work Limpy.

Honeyb
X

littleminnie

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2013, 09:26:17 AM »

Speculation is now that the helicopter pilot switched of the fuel supply before he went down to stop it exploding on impact.

Joyce

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2013, 11:47:46 AM »

Guess we won't know what really happened until they've inspected the black box.  Special service on TV this morning.

Rowan

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2013, 01:47:10 PM »

My ex husband was in NDT (non destructive testing) in the RAF, besides planes and submarines, he worked on Sea Kings, its the blades that can be vulnerable.

Very sad Tragedy. 
Pages: [1] 2