Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Missing Periods on HRT  (Read 7359 times)

Spangles

Missing Periods on HRT
« on: November 30, 2013, 10:23:21 AM »

Hello Ladies
I'm hoping somebody may be able to help me.
I've been on HRT for well over a year now and I thought I'd finally settled on Femseven Sequi, I've been on it for six months now, haven't felt 100% but have felt a lot better.
However I didn't have a period last month and it doesn't look like one is coming this month either.
I feel quite low and drained and I'm losing interest in things, I was worried my depression was kicking in again because as most of you will know some symptoms are similar.
Could this be the HRT? I really think I would feel better if I would just have a period, and why have my periods 'gone again'?
Feeling a bit confused.
Thanks
Shellb
xXx

Hurdity

Re: Missing Periods on HRT
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 08:05:26 PM »

Hi Shellb

Sorry to hear you are feeling low.

The fact that you are feeling like this and you haven't had a bleed on the Femseven Sequi suggests to me that your own oestrogen level has dropped so the oestrogen in the HRT patch is not sufficient to stimulate the womb lining enough to bleed.

Many of us feel much less enthusisatic about life in general once past menopause - not depressed, but just somehow without the same zest and excitement for life as when younger. This is thought to be due partly to lack of oestrogen and also testosterone in some women.

I'm not sure how far into meno you are - but if you are still peri then maybe your own levels will rise once more and you will get a bleed and also hopefully feel better. If things don't improve maybe it's time to think about a higher dose - not sure how old you are?

If you are well into menopause now and still relatively young, then the best way to increase the dose with patches is to go for separate oestrogen and progesterone as Femseven only comes in the one dose.

Not sure if this is the reason in your case - but could be one explanation?

Hurdity x

Spangles

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 06:56:38 AM »

Hi Hurdity
Thanks for your reply.
I really think my symptoms are back, I'm not sleeping as well and I feel really low again today, I'm really scared of another depressive episode.
I'm 45 and I've been on various Hrt's in the last 16 months, I've tried both tablets and patches and conti and sequi, up to now I thought the femseven was suiting me, I've been on it for 6 months now but the past 2 months it feels like its been wearing off.
I have had patches fall of in the bath etc and I've stuck them down but I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it or not.
 I just don't want to battle another episode and I really don't want the symptoms back, I really don't know what to do.
Infact I'd really like a period just so that my body can 'reset' itself, does that make sense.
Thanks again
Shellb
xXx

Spangles

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 06:59:11 AM »

Oh Hurdity, I am confirmed as menopausal and I estimate its been going on for approx 3-4 years x

warwick01

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 04:37:12 PM »

Hi Shellb

Just to let you know I was on Femseven Sequi for about 10 months. I liked the patch but had problems getting them to stick. I never had a bleed for the last 6 months on FS, my GP was concerned and refered me to the hospital for checks.

Following a scan, no issues were identified and consultant wasn't that concerned. Due to a break through in symptoms I changed to Gell and separate progesterone which suits me.

Don't worry I'm sure all will be o.k

W ;)

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 08:20:36 PM »

Hi shellb

A your age I would have no hesitation to try a higher dose of oestrogen as you are still young and have had a premature menopause.

If you are are having sticking problems and want to continue with patches then Estradot are better because they are very small and stick well, and are changed twice a week - (although any patch may come off after a long bath). You might be able to achieve more consistent oestrogen levels with a twice weekly patch (or you could try gel?). Estradot comes in 75 mcg and 100 mcg and I would suggest asking for the 75 mcg dose next. As I said Femseven only comes in the one dose.

You would need a separate progesterone and there are only two generally prescribed now, of which the one least likely to aggravate depression is micronised progesterone (as Utrogestan). I would be surprised if you did not get a monthly bleed if you srtarted this regime on a higher dose oestrogen.

If you have a sympathetic and knowlegdeable doctor, or are under a gynae, then hopefully they will be receptive to the sort of changes which you should find beneficial.

Hurdity x

Spangles

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 09:35:22 PM »

Thank you for your replies ladies.

I have just got my next three months of femseven so I am going to try and persevere a little longer if I can.
I will be going back to the doctors armed with the information you have kindly passed on to me as she has told me that they don't prescribe oestrogen gels!
I know it's available so maybe it's time  I saw another doctor just for reassurance really. My doctor is absolutely lovely but I'm well old enough to be her mummy, so I'm not sure how experienced she is with menopause things.

Many thanks
Shellb
xXx