Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Passing out prior to being sick.  (Read 7323 times)

Cassie

Passing out prior to being sick.
« on: November 14, 2013, 01:01:56 PM »

My daughter has done this since she was in pre school. She gets the nausea feeling and just prior to actually being sick, she faints for a few seconds. I had her at the Dr, couldnt explain it, did ECG's etc, nothing abnormal found, she is now a teen and it still happens, not only when she is about to vomit but also if she has a bad flu etc. I ended up consulting good ole google and it came up as vasovagal syncope, ie passing out from certain triggers. It must be quite disconcerting and I have told her that when she feels it coming on, she must try and lie down so that she does not injure herself on fainting. Just wondered if anyone else has experienced this unpleasant phenomenen, I know that there was a discussion about being "sick" on another forum and the phobia of it.

honeybun

Re: Passing out prior to being sick.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 01:39:34 PM »

How horrible for her and you. As if being unwell was not enough she has to try and cope with this. You don't say how old she is.
One of my friends daughter's did this. She started to faint for no apparent reason. Tiredness was her trigger. She had lots of tests and like your daughter all was clear. She is now 17 and has outgrown this much to her delight.
Perhaps your daughter will do the same.
I know this isn't terribly helpful but I really don't know what you and she can do about this.
She will understandably be panicky about it.

Honeyb
X

Rowan

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 01:57:17 PM »

I have fainted a few times the last time when I was carted off to hospital, it started with severe tummy pains, I was kept in all night and had loads of tests, the result the next morning was "unremarkable" 

There is a syndrome called P.O.Ts which might be relevant.

http://www.stars.org.uk/patient-info/conditions/pots

Cassie

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 02:17:00 PM »

Oh I do hope so as she is now 16. I must say that it only happens when she is unwell with nausea or a bad flu, hopefully she will outgrow it as it does make her rather anxious, she can feel it coming on and then she is lights out for a few seconds, I have told her to sit down if she feels it coming on so that she does not fall down and injure herself. Thx ladies

Scampi

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 03:46:34 PM »

There are techniques you can learn to fight off the actual fainting with VS - ask at the GPs or search on the internet for the methods.  A collegue at work has it - she learnt the techniques quickly once she knew they existed and they work for her.

bev567901

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 06:59:02 PM »

Cassie I have a friend in her late 30's with this plus my 9 yr old daughter has a friend of the same age with it. The main concern is the banging of the head for both.   I think the little girl is getting better with time & hasn't had a problem recently. It must be so worrying for you & her. I can't be much help as I am not sure if it is mental or physical, I can understand why it could be either one.   Just to let you know that there are other people out there. As if being a mum isn't a worry in itself. Bev xx   

Joyce

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 07:59:35 PM »

Daughter's partner does this occasionally. He's in his 30s. He was carted off in an ambulance last time, think someone suspected he was drunk or a drug addict. Neither could be further from the truth. Usually connected with a virus in his case. Passing out is bad enough, it's the other injuries you could get as you fall over.

Evenstar

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 10:51:17 PM »

Oh goodness I can relate to this as i faint at the drop of a hat. I have a heart murmur and have always put it down to that, but several times  have been concussed because of hitting my head on things. Sometimes you just can't get yourself down on the floor quick enough. x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 02:11:09 PM »

It could be a sudden drop in blood sugar levels which can make one feel nauseous anyway.  It needs investigating, perhaps she needs to carry a card ........... for medics?  The other issue is epilepsy.

Cassie

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 03:29:11 PM »

Thx ladies, I also thought of the drop in blood sugar but tend to think its more the vasovagal effect, had all the tests etc, Doc could not explain what caused it, she is fat and fit otherwise until she needs to be sick then the lights go out.... :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2013, 07:27:26 PM »

How awful  :-\

ann123

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 02:11:05 PM »

Or a sudden drop in blood pressure?

Pauline

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 04:08:19 PM »

Strangely I fainted for the first time ever in 56 years, about a month ago We had had a meal in a pub in the Dales and were with some friends. I suddenly felt very very sick and very very very hot! I got up to go out for some air and the next thing I knew was everyone was helping me up from the floor!! Off to Darlington hospital for heart checks etc. All fine and nothing since. Someone suggested in my case it could have been dodgy food. Don't know but it was a horrid experience. Do hope you get answers and it all goes away.

ariadne

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2013, 07:37:33 PM »

My mother in law has a friend whose granddaughter had been passing out daily for some time and doctors have been at a loss to diagnose why. She has had ECG tests which were ok and had beta blockers which didn't help. A different doctor has now suggested POTS and she is awaiting a tilt table test which should help confirm.

She hasn't been able to go anywhere alone for fear of collapsing. Such a worry for her family. I'm not sure if she has vomiting with it though.

Ariadne xx