Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Insomnia rears its ugly head again  (Read 8906 times)

Joyce

Insomnia rears its ugly head again
« on: November 25, 2013, 12:46:31 AM »

Well here I am at nearly 12.45am, no nearer sleep than I was when I came to bed 2 hours ago. I'm pooped but brain in hyperdrive. Son & his GF were over for tea & we chatted for ages. My brain still hasn't found the off switch. I have stopped using Nytol as they only help short term. Hubby is snoring away, lucky sod!  :-\

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Insomnia rears its ugly head again
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 10:49:45 AM »

I woke at 12.20 and was awake until 3.40 - sneezing, continually, blasted allerghic rhititis  >:( ...... made a cuppa then swallowed an anti-histamine got some sleep. Woke with the alarm at 8.40 ........ that's 2 nights not sleeping now

Joyce

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 12:17:30 PM »

It's horrid, isn't it, when you can't get a decent night's sleep.  I must have fallen asleep eventually around  3am, I know I saw 2.30am.  Then woke freezing cold at about 5am.  Fingers crossed for tonight.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 12:38:14 PM »

I'll probably have a doze in the evening.  We have a new electric blanket which helps sooth my addled brain  ::) ....... we had a new display cabinet yesterday and I was moving stuff around in my head ........ sorting out where what should stand on the shelves  ::)

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 01:31:12 PM »

Glad to know I'm not the only one who does mental flitting.  ;D. No wonder we don't sleep.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 03:18:34 PM »

I was wide awake!  what's all that about  ::)  ........ my mind never flits with stuff I could get up and do right then! but ferrets about with stuff I have to do in the day time ...........  ::)

mamamia

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 04:02:04 PM »

I know this feeling well!  When I get desperate I take a mug of warm milk and a paracetamol.  This works sometimes!  Most of the time  just give up and get up and do something.  I found that these sleeping tablets you can buy over the counter just give your three or four hours sleep so stopped taking them.

bramble

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 04:12:02 PM »

I assume that you have tried the old fashioned recipes like chamomile tea or warm milk with nutmeg?

Bramble

Joyce

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 04:22:25 PM »

Warm milk  :sick02: My mum swore by it.  Nearest I ever get is hot chocolate.

I had good sleep last night, but still whacked today. Can't win.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 07:34:53 PM »

Milk  :sick02:  but do love a cold chocolate milk shake.  Didn't sleep in the camper until early hours, wide awake; then a pheasant started squawking followed by an owl  :D

Might fall asleep in my bubble bath later  ;)

Ju Ju

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2013, 01:21:09 AM »

I'm wide awake and it's 1.15am. Had a bad night 2 nights ago, then slept 9 hours last night. I went out this evening, so didn't have a chance to wind down. Had a great time though. Now what shall I do to tire myself out?  :-\

milly

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2013, 08:37:22 AM »

I am like this most nights, I can fall asleep but then wake usually around 3.

I have a trick to get me back to sleep.

I mentally go through my food intake for that day, starting with breakfast, adding the calories up in my head, I rarely get to teatime,(as I have eaten so much!!  ;D) having fallen asleep again. I do this each time I wake up.

valiantkate

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2013, 10:51:02 AM »

Its horrible when you cant sleep, although your body can 'switch off' its more  difficult to switch off the coggs in your brain. I was having a really bad time a few years ago with bullying and harrassment at work- sounds daft in the  cold  light of day but it really affected me in all sorts of ways but it was difficult to switch off, theres no distractions at night.
I found yoga definitely helped me- I took relaxation classes which I have used in  many situations, scans, lectures etc and it did help me to say the 'mantras' in my head. Also a little note book to write down worries in the night so I  could look at them in the day helped to get rid of some of the mind churning.
At the moment I am really having different problems stopping me sleeping, I had surgery a while ago which has been brilliant and I only get mild discomfort now, the main problem is utter and bone wrenching pain in my hips and pelvis- theres no escape from it. It was so bad last night I ended up huffing and puffing out of bed as usual ( I cant sleep you cant either!) and on seteee with the cat. Im so fed up of the pain and   painkillers arent even touching it.
Im feeling sorry for myself today, sorry :-\

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2013, 10:53:09 AM »

I have these types of pain, since March - I can pinpoint the date even  ::) ............ I think it's caused by bad posture when typing  ::).  Burning thigh pains which wake me, this morning it was over the left buttock area, I even wondered 'bursitis'?  Keep meaning to go to the GP but I forget during the day  ::)

Years ago I used to have a radio by the bed with Radio2 music all night, I would imagine that I was a brilliant ice skater when appropriate music was played which seemed to lull me off to sleep ..........

Ju Ju

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2013, 12:42:56 PM »

Not sleeping well for me is sometimes tied in with IBS, when I haven't been to the loo for a few days and the next day I make up for it. Sometimes there no obvious reason.
Pages: [1] 2