Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: 58 years old still in menopause multiple health problems  (Read 6158 times)

england43

58 years old still in menopause multiple health problems
« on: November 24, 2013, 04:42:42 PM »

Hello Everyone
Im back on the forum. I started my menopause when I was 50. I have two sisters both finished there menopause at 60. Im now 58 so I hope I dont have much longer of these terrible debilitating hot flushes im really suffering. I did take different HRT's but had to stop due to Atrial Fibrillation which I started getting in January 2009. I had it severely for three years and two ablations on my heart so havent been able to work. I had half my thyroid removed also in 2004 and took thyroxine for several years up until 2011 when i had my last ablation and a doctor said i didnt need to take it as I still had half the thyroid which was working. Ive now got Osteoarthiritis Fibromyalgia, Diverticulitis which keeps flaring up and just last year had the second bunion op which has now been done very painful. I get horrible breast pain and lumpy breast syndrome on one breast which is really painful and terrible hot flushes some day worse than others and also at night and peeing a lot at night more than the day. I know some or even all of these symptoms are due to the menopause and god what have i got to look forward too as I a stil have to go back to work at some point. I also take care of my mum which is very stressful as she is 97 and demanding. Not any help from two sisters!!. Im trying still have a relatonship and keep having bad experiences but feel now that im not going to meet anyone. Getting quite down but I did start taking a good quality Magnesium plus Calcium Vit D Evening Primose and a Fish Oil tablet daily and in the spirng started to feel better. I also did pilates which Im going back to. The Vinegar and Apple Cider Vinegar diet also helped. Im really suffering with this joing pain a lot and the flushes which are the worst and that makes my heart race but its not Atrial Fibrillaton. Any advice would be eternally grateful!!!
LouiseX :'(

Rowan

Re: 58 years old still in menopause multiple health problems
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 05:14:53 PM »

england43 so sorry about the many problems you have, as you can't take HRT because of AF (I do know about the AF as OH has it, it can be scary)

Have you heard  of Boron -

"Boron can help to soften menopausal symptoms. It appears to work by increasing the levels of certain forms of estrogen. Some studies suggest that eating boron-rich foods or taking boron supplements may raise estrogen levels as high as those found in women taking estrogen-replacement therapy.

A study done in 1987 found that boron may be helpful in preventing osteoporosis. (Source: Barbara Evans: Life Change, Pan Books, London, 1979, p38.) Twelve post- menopausal women between the ages of forty-eight and eighty-two were studied for twenty-four weeks.

During the first seventeen weeks, they were given a diet low in boron (similar to what many women normally consume).

During the subsequent seven weeks they received 3 milligrams of boron daily.

Eight days after they began taking boron, the women's urinary losses of calcium and magnesium were greatly reduced, and they had significant increases (approximately twofold) in their production of estrogen and testosterone.

This research suggests that taking boron supplements, especially if your dietary intake of boron is low, can cause favorable changes in mineral metabolism that can reduce, and may even prevent, the loss of mineral from the bones (osteoporosis). Boron is also necessary for healthy hair, skin, and nails, and an adequate intake of boron may help prevent muscle and joint aches and pains"

Foods high in boron include fruits, vegetables, and sesame seeds. Meats and poultry, on the other hand, are low in boron. Three or four apples a day or three to four ounces of peanuts may supply boron- deficient women with all they need. Boron is also found in pears, raisins, peaches, almonds, honey, peas, beans and lentils.

Here is some more info

http://altmedicine.about.com/od/herbsupplementguide/a/boron.htm

I take 3mgs of Chelated Boron daily.

Hope this maybe of help.

england43

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 05:20:46 PM »

:)

Hello silverlady,
thank you so much for the reply. Yes AF is extremely scarey I had it very acutely for some reason. Its hard when you are alone and my last boyfriend did not understand and was not understanding. Im ok at the present but dont know what the future holds. I will definatley try and get a book on Boron and try a supplement. Does it affect the heart? is it ok for AF?

Thank you
Louise

Rowan

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 05:39:56 PM »

I can't find anything that says you should not take Boron if you have AF, in fact it helps the heart and may prevent blood clots

http://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/minerals/boron.html

It is important  to consult your doctor though.

Boron does have the potential to increase estrogen/testosterone naturally but no where near the level of HRT. 
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 05:52:26 PM by silverlady »

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 06:42:30 PM »

Hi england43

Sorry to hear about your menopausal symptoms and other health issues, and I really sympathise with anyone who cannot take HRT due to medical reasons, because the journey is so much harder..

Firstly are you using a local vaginal oestrogen such as Vagifem or Orthogynest pessaries? This will help prevent vaginal atrophy and well as bladder and urinary problems which can develop and worsen post-menopause. This is unlikely to be contra-indicated with the condition you describe although you will be able to tell from this list re Vagifem

Contra-indications
Previous or current venous thromboembolism (deep venous thrombosis, pulmonary embolism)
Active or recent arterial thromboembolic disease (e.g. angina, myocardial infarction)

Those are the only heart conditions mentioned where Vagifem wouldn't be recommended.

Rgearding boron and other mineral supplements - I agree with silverlady that it is so important not to be deficient in any minerals and vitamins especially at this time of our lives.

I can imagine if your diet is low in boron and other minerals and you are deficient - then the benefits described in the link silverlady gave will be apparent very quickly. However the very small (12 women!) published study here
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3678698
concludes this:
The findings suggest that supplementation of a low-boron diet with an amount of boron commonly found in diets high in fruits and vegetables induces changes in postmenopausal women consistent with the prevention of calcium loss and bone demineralization.

Also as she points out - you can supply sufficient boron ( and other minerals) for your metabolic needs through diet as she has listed below. I do think that a change in diet to a very healthy one with lots of fresh fruit and vegetables, pulses, low in fat and limiting processed foods can reap benefits, which is what the advice on this website says:

"Taking a balanced, healthy diet will provide the vitamins and minerals required and is the best way to stay healthy"
"Most women taking a healthy well balanced diet obtain sufficient vitamins and minerals required and do not need to take supplements"

on this page which lists the main vitamins and minerals and what they do in the body.
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/diet.php

I follow the advice on this site, so personally I don't think it is necessary for most women to take a supplement for every vitamin and mineral - provided your diet does contain the foods suggested, but for instance concentrated juices and oils etc can greatly increase individual vitamins and essential fatty acids.  But of course it's up to you to read up about everything and decide yourself. Sounds like you are already doing the right thing.

I would recommend pure cod liver oil (Seven Seas original with no added vitamins) unless you eat plenty of oily fish. I prefer to have this than the high strength capsules because you get more of the oil and less of the added vitamins.

Great that you were doing pilates - I have recently started this and it is amazing for all sorts of conditions - it is so gentle but strengthening at the same time - for lower back, internal muscles, joints and rotation - so do keep this up!

I can't help re the flushes - but I am sure there are others who have ways of coping with these to make them less unbearable.

Re your mum - do your sisters live nearby and can they not take their share of caring for your mother which I can inagine must be very tiring at that amazing, but advanced age? If you are suffering, you need a break too, especially so that when you do have to care for your mother you are well rested and able to give the energy required.

Hope this helps and do keep posting and remember you are not alone in this.

Hurdity x

Rowan

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 09:20:35 AM »

england43 if you have a kindle you can download " Supplement Boron" by William Wagner M.D for £2.00