Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: HRT - to carry on or not?  (Read 3499 times)

rhinogirl1959

HRT - to carry on or not?
« on: November 27, 2013, 11:21:28 AM »

Hi - I'm 54 and was on hrt for a few years up to being 51.  I then had a break of around 18 months where I didn't have a  period but couldn't cope with the hot flushes.  I've been on Kliovance for the last 18 months and one of my GPs recommended I stop taking it.  I saw a different GP this week who asked me what I wanted to do.  I said I was undecided as everything I've read about the risks and benefits seems to be conflicting.  I got the impression from her that the benefits for me outweigh the risks and I could stay on it for now.  She's prescribed me Estraderm 50 patches and 100mg Progesterone tablets, just a months supply for now to see how I go.  Apparently her book said to take the Progesterone tablets for 27 days out of 30 but she recomended I take it continuously??

I googled both medications and am still really undecided whether to take them or not.  Do the benefits really outweigh the risk?  I'd welcome anyone's advice please.

Dancinggirl

Re: HRT - to carry on or not?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 03:31:54 PM »

Hi rhinogirl
I did the same as you and had a break from HRT and after 3years of terrible flushes and no sleep, gave in a went back on HRT.  I got my life back.
Good the GP has given you trans dermal - much better way forward at this stage. 
Hopefully Hurdity will come along soon as she uses this combo of HRT but in a slightly different way and will give advice.
I'd definitely give it a go - at least for a couple of months - at 51 you are still young to be without oestrogen -  the risks are really very small.
DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 04:59:21 PM »

Hi rhinogirl

:welcomemm:

You can't do better than read the information and advice on this site. Have you seen the menu on the left? The green writing - there is a section on Hormone Replacement Therapy and the sub menu gives lots of info about risks and benefits and particuarly balancing these:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/balance.php

You will see that your GP was right - at age 50 - 60 the benefits generally outweigh the risks especially if you are having symptoms. The HRT you took up to approx age 50 (well should be 51 now I think) does not count re risk as this is the natural average age of menopause so you were only replacing what your body could have produced anyway. I didn't start HRT until your age - just before age 54, and still having it at 60.

I use Estradot 50 mcg patch and the 200 mg progesterone capsules (Utrogestan - which I use vaginally) on a 6 week cycle. Yes it is generally recommended to take the progesterone continuously if you are post-menopausal. I think the 25 days out of 28 is just to check there has been no build up of uterus lining. If there had been, then reduction in the dose of prog (ie the 3 days off) should cause a slight bleed and would be an indication maybe that the prog dose needed increasing (not sure if this is ever done?). The disadvantage of stopping is that you might get pmt for a few days because of the sudden decrease in prog, although 100 mg orally is not a high dose.

By the way these are not really medications in the sense that they are hormones that are bio-identical to the hormone compounds in your body - and patches (or gel) especially are the most natural way to replace the deficient oestrogen, as the hormone does not have to go through the liver.

What have you got to lose?

Hope this helps!

Hurdity x

oldsheep

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 07:42:45 PM »

I'm 54 and have been on Evorel patches (2x week) and 100mg Utrogestan every night for while now, on meno clinic advice. I had horrendous symptoms prior to HRT, so the consensus is that the benefits are worth it. I've been on HRT 3 years now, of which about 18 months is this patch-Utrogestan HRT.

rhinogirl1959

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 09:14:08 AM »

Thank you so much for your advice.  I think my brain was starting to hurt from reading different reports etc.  I've now decided to take my new medication for the time being and see how I go.   :)

andius

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 04:56:23 AM »

Hi!

I'm 56 and have now been on estrogen patches for 9 mo.  I also take 100mg prometrium (US brand name for Utrogestan) every night....i.e. this is a continuous regimen just like you have been prescribed.  I have no problems with typical menopause symptoms but do suffer from VA.

Andius