Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Timing of Progestogen  (Read 2853 times)

anna123

Timing of Progestogen
« on: November 21, 2013, 09:25:30 PM »

I've recently been diagnosed as peri-menopausal (I'm 39) and will be starting HRT shortly. My understanding is that I will be given oestrogen for the full month and progestogen for part of the month.  I've read that it's important to take progestogen at the right time within the cycle so as to synchronize with the existing cycle. My question is how do I know where/when my existing  cycle is at when  I've not had a period for 4 months and just wondered if anyone had anyone experience of this or if it doesn't really matter . Thank you

Taz2

Re: Timing of Progestogen
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 10:21:19 AM »

Hi anna - I would think that as you have  not had a period for four months and your cycle is very erratic then you can start the HRT at any time. I hadn't had a period for three months when I started mine (although I am considerably older than you) and the advice was to start immediately as you have no idea when your last natural period happens until the next one fails to arrive and you could, therefore, be waiting for ever.....

Which type of HRT have you been given?

Taz x

Cassie

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 01:48:11 PM »

I am the same as you and I try to synchonize as best as possible and take the progesterone part from day 15 through to day 26, I do not think that it matters much, it just helps me as I then know exactly when I am due my last for the month. I hate them at the moment, the Utro 100 is giving me such insomnia and horrible dreams, will be glad when this cycle is done for!

anna123

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 02:10:28 PM »

Hi,
thanks for your responses

Taz-I saw my doc earlier this week and she just wanted to check about a breast cancer issue in my family before prescribing. 'm going back to my doc on Monday and just want to  be fully informed for when she talks about different types.

From reading the forum and responses  a previous thread I think Utrogestan would be most suitable?

For oestrogen  I would prefer a gel or patch rather than tablet but don't really have preference. It's good to know I can just start to take it straight away.

Cassie-it's concerning to read that the progestogen element of the cycle has such bad side effects.one of my main problems is insomnia and was hoping HRT would cure that :(

There is just so much information to take in!!!

Cassie

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 03:39:21 PM »

We have found on this forum that no 2 folk are alike and I am quite sure that should you take Utrogestan, that it will not have the same effect on you. I have always been one to react the opposite to meds with a sedatory affect and most folk say that if used @ night time, the Utro gives them a lovely sleep, so I would not stress too much, I am the odd one out. Hope that you get your HRT sorted, you will feel a lot better on it, the gel is great as you can adjust the dosage as and when you feel you need to.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 04:12:00 PM »

Hi anna123
I was peri meno from my mid 30s so as you are 39 I would have thought HRT was a must for you as it was for me.  If there is a worry over Breast cancer I suspect you may not need to be concerned about risks till you are well into your 50s, as it is thought to be very important to have enough oestrogen to protect bones and heart until your 50s when you would normally have your meno.
Now 57, I am having a break from HRT (but still using local oestrogen vaginally to prevent atrophy).  I used Oestrogel with progesterone pills through my peri stage and recently I had a Mirena coil with Oestrogel which has also been good. The beauty of Oestrogel is that you can start by using a low amount and build up till you find the 'sweet spot' e.g you feel good. I never used more than 2 pumps per day but you can go up to 4 pumps if need be.
I did email DR. Currie (who set up this site) for advice, should I wish to continue with HRT, and she described Utrogeston as a " Breast Friendly" form of progesterone - some use Utrogestan vaginally as well.  I think your instincts to go down the transdermal route is sensible.
If you are not having periods then don't worry about when you start the HRT.
Good luck  DG x