Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: It pays to complain  (Read 9215 times)

Joyce

It pays to complain
« on: November 18, 2013, 08:05:40 PM »

Recent journey home from daughter's was stressful, in part due to delayed train. Anyway I decided to complain about rail company's delay & poor information at station. Just got email saying they are going to give me vouchers towards next journey.

On top of that I had ordered an advent house for son's GF, son wanted to surprise her. Anyway they didn't collect from me until end of last week. I hadn't opened it as it wasn't for me.  Turned out that one of the drawers no. 24 had been made upsides down. They went round all the branches of Next to get replacement. Luckily one branch was able to swap faulty drawer. I sent them an email and got reply today saying they are reducing item by £5. So it pays to complain.

I wasn't nasty in either email, just stated my disappointment. Quite chuffed with myself.

honeybun

Re: It pays to complain
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 08:14:34 PM »

Well done you. I agree it really does pay to complain. I have had companies reduce payments on various occasions. It also pays to read the small print even if it is boring.
I did not know know that if a company sends you the wrong thing then they have to pay for the return. So many of them don't.

Honeyb
X

Rose

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 09:13:04 PM »

Good on you, cubagirl! My daughter is manager of one of the big clothing retailers in UK and she said that you have the right to return sale items even if they say otherwise. The retailers try to fool us but the law says the customer has the right to a refund.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 10:09:44 PM »

Goods have to be 'fit for purpose' regardless of how they are sold.  In the 1970s we were always sending stuff back to the manufacturers: I remember 2 incidences, DH once asked the chocolate company if the dead half bug in the box was 'the secret of the Black Magic Box' .......... and we found a pebble in a bag of frozen peas; we got tokens and a 'thank you' letter each time, because it is cheaper for Companies to send vouchers than go to Court.  Also I think the Companies need to know if a line goes 'wrong' and there is cross contamination etc..

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 10:23:51 PM »

Goods cost enough these days, without putting up with faults or poor service. I've complained in the past & got nowhere. In particular final holiday in Cuba. We were due to be picked up at hotel at set time to head for airport. No bus/car came, but we thought it was delayed elsewhere. Hotel said it was in hand. Holiday rep arrived to find us still sat there & hit the roof. Told hotel to get a move on. Only just made it as check-in closed! So complained when we got home, for tour company to say it was hotel's fault & we had obviously made the flight. That wasn't the point though.

littleminnie

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 08:58:18 AM »

I love good customer service.  I also love shops that are very efficient.
John Lewis, Nespresso and Next are the best places in my opinion.