News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 2832 times)

Dory

• First Flush
Hello!
« on: November 18, 2013, 04:44:57 PM »

Have very much enjoyed reading the forum, sadly lost mum 3 years ago and don't have anyone to ask. You ladies have certainly answered my many questions and I'm so pleased I found you   :)

I'm not long 46 and am due to go into hospital on Thursday for a hysteroscopy and endometrial ablation. It's all happened rather quickly - periods were fine until May, it lasted 3 weeks. Long story short, went to see GP, referred for a scan, saw consultant on 19th October who wanted me to go in the following  week but due to holiday commitments I was asked to go back on Thursday. Except for my period in May, all has been well, early period here and there, however I haven't had one this month which leads me to think perimenopause??

When I initially saw my GP back in June she took a blood test to determine the hormone levels.  Now my memory is rubbish but I think she said the hormone level is measured on a 1-100 bar, 1-50 is "normal" and 50-100 is menopause, I come in at 53 so nothing to concern myself with.

For the last 5 years I've, on a regular basis, experienced blurred vision, dizzy/thick heads and palpitations not to mention poor memory and the attention span of a gnat. The inability to string a sentence together, unable to recall words during conversation, the list is endless. As of yesterday, I can now add itching to the list.

I saw a different GP in April of last year as I'd experienced a rather frightening episode of blurred vision/thick head and palpitations - he lifted my eyelid, advised me I was perfectly fine and reassured me I hadn't got a brain tumour!! I mentioned the possibility of the menopause as mum was in her 40's, where upon he informed me I was far too young as 55 is the age ladies start the menopause ::)

I haven't been overly worried about my trip to hospital, I'm a great believer in what will be will be and no amount of worrying will change the biopsy results and I'll deal with as and when. I find I'm now pooping myself. Haven't had a period this month, had twinges the last 3 weeks and still no period. Is a sudden lack of a period the "normal" run of events?

Thank you for reading and apologies for boring the pants off you and if you're still awake, you deserve a cuppa and a choccie biscuit to dunk  ;)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 07:39:13 PM »

<hands over plate for the chocolate biscuit > ........  :welcomemm:  hope all goes well this week!  There is no set age for menopause to begin, any Doctor who says so should speak with those who go through it at an 'early' age  >:(

My periods were intermittent.  Stop, start; gaps; then nothing.  I still carried protection for 5 years after my last bleed though  ::)

Have you browsed the menus, left of screen?  have you found our funny room  ;)

andius

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 02:27:07 AM »

Hi Dory!...and welcome   :tulips:

My periods started and stopped for 3 years before they finally stopped at 53 1/2.

ONE ? THOUGH.....does "pooping yourself"mean wearing yourself out ? with worry, or something else???

I'm not from UK so sometimes I don't get the meaning of occasional words   :meauh:!

And...wow, I just realized the (more) above, under the smilies, is a whole bunch more smilies to use on another page!!!!! Check them out!

Andius
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 02:29:19 AM by andius »

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 08:37:13 AM »

Andius - she means crapping herself - I think that's a term you'll be familiar with!

Welcome from me too Dory.  :welcomemm:

Taz  :)

Dory

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 10:29:01 AM »

Morning ladies, hysteroscopy and ablation done courtesy of the BMI Hospital, my thankies to the NHS  :) A procedure not recommended for the faint hearted under a local and although I was given the choice to swap to a general, I think local was the right choice for me.

Recovery is slower than anticipated. Paracetamol and ibuprofen didn't control the pain but by Friday morning it became manageable, I'm having a few twinges which feels like period pains.

Awaiting biopsy results, the consultant said she doesn't think there is anything to worry about so I'm going to embrace my menopause and treat her as a member of the family.

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 07:32:31 PM »

Hi Dory

Well done for having an ablation done under local anaesthetic - that is very brave! Glad you are beginning to recover, and that your consultant is confident there are unlikely to be any problems.

So did she offer you or suggest HRT for your other symptoms or are you considering it now?

That is how I embraced the menopause!

Hurdity x