Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Never rains but it pours!  (Read 26421 times)

Dyan

Re: Never rains but it pours!
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2013, 02:40:03 PM »

Greyhoundgal

Just caught up with your thread.
So sorry to hear it.
Glad your hubby is back,although in hospital,but he s in good hands it seems.
Thinking of you and sending you a  :bighug:

Dyan X

Joyce

« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2013, 04:46:38 PM »

:bighug:

Will be thinking about you. Hope hubby is feeling better soon & can enjoy his Christmas home with you.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2013, 05:02:22 PM »

There are all kinds of parasites that can infiltrate the body - DH's Dad came back from Burma with a worm which travelled around his body for over 30 years, was finally discovered by an Australian Doc doing research on Jap Prisoners of War and what they caught whilst in the Far East.  A dose of sulphur-based medicine killed the worm …… when it migrated around Dad's body it caused a rash around his abdomen  :o

Get a Consultant familiar with parasitic diseases?

Limpy

« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2013, 08:23:43 PM »

Greyhoundgal

Really hope that things improve for you all soon.
It's rotten that your Mum is bad again as well, but you have to concentrate on your hubby and yourself at the moment.
Please take care of yourselves. 

:bighug:

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2013, 01:31:53 PM »

Thanks, he had one of the abscesses drained yesterday which was causing him a lot of pain last night so he's back on the hourly doses of morphine.  Various bits of him are being grown in tubes and petri dishes while they try to find the cause but it is possibly parasitic in which case he may need to be transferred to Addenbrookes where they have an "tropical infectious disease" section.  X-ray has confirmed that he does have a facial fracture, again they are assessing what needs to be done and where it will happen - again he may have to move somewhere else.

Mum still poorly but rehab unit are calling the Dr out again this afternoon (I rang at lunchtime).  Hope she isn't going to end up back in hospital but if she does it will be the same one where hubby is (at the moment) so it would make it easier to visit.

Christmas is not looking too likely just now ::)

Rowan

« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2013, 01:49:15 PM »

My ex husband was in the Himalayas and Everest base camp for over a month, he started to feel unwell towards the end of his stay and was ill for over six months afterwards with a parasitic illness that effected his stomach and bowels, it was diagnosed but I can't remember the name or what the treatment was but it did weaken him.

The sooner they know what it is the sooner they can treat it, poor man to have a facial fracture as well.

Its very draining too being the carer( I found hospitals so tiring) so please look after yourself Greyhoundgal.

CLKD

« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2013, 04:40:35 PM »

Addenbrookes should have a maxillary-facial surgeon so hopefully DH won't need moving!

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2013, 01:20:04 PM »

He's not at Addenbrookes CLKD, he's in Bury St Edmunds at the moment.  No news to date on the facial fracture but he might have seen someone today.  They're still testing to try and pinpoint the infection and Mum was readmitted last night as well so all in all I spent about 4 hours over there last night.  Had a call from the hospital at lunchtime to say that Mum was very paranoid and has pulled all her cannulas out so they're going to have to try and medicate her orally......

Suzi Q

« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2013, 01:55:23 PM »

FEVER@INFEC DISEASE hospitals in Britain are par ex I was in one as a child with a tropical disease
Picked up from  a Jamacan Nurse Id had to go to Casuality foe something I ended up in Fever hossie 3mnths
Not the nurses fault just dumb bad luck your hubbie will be in safe hands couldnt be in better
Worry all you want cos oyu will xxxxx IM sorry Ive only just seen this thread so sending huhe hugs
IM sorry your MUMS sick as well poor you your having a right bloody time chin up chuck god bless xxx

CLKD

« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2013, 04:43:27 PM »

"he may need to be transferred to Addenbrookes  ......... " he may well get both 'problems' sorted there  ;) if the transfer is deemed necessary. 

Suzi Q

« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2013, 12:38:17 AM »

Sending you both only he best xxxxxxxxx

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2013, 01:41:41 PM »

No transfer deemed necessary.  He has an appointment on Xmas Eve with the face guy but he has told him he doesn't think it will need surgery.  Still on IV AB's but WBC is starting to come down slightly so it would seem he is responding to the treatment at least.  Still no results from all the biopsies etc though so still no clearer what he actually has.  Mum not doing so well - I popped in to see her last night as well but she is refusing all food and meds and both my sister and I tried to persuade her to no avail.  Sister is going over again this afternoon in the hope of seeing a Dr to see where we go from here......

CLKD

« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2013, 04:31:26 PM »

Thanks for the update.  The face will be painful and sore for a while, I remember when I fell flat onto mine about 6 years ago  >:( ..... usually the bones heal well but eating, yawning etc. is difficult  :-\

Pity about your Mum - everything happens at once  :hug:

Taz2

« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2013, 12:00:19 AM »

Is this what they think it might be GreyhoundGal? http://www.scripps.org/articles/2291-amebic-liver-abscess.

West Suffolk Hospital - I've spent many an hour there!

Taz x

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2013, 01:09:03 PM »

Yep, that's their closest bet so far and hubby's boss who is also a Dr and used to teach at Addenbrookes also thinks that is what it is. Still nothing confirmed though although they are now in touch with an infectious disease unit in London, he has to give them a list of all the countries he's been to over the last two years, quite a long list ::)  Looks like he'll be staying in for Christmas sadly.......Mum also going downhill, we have asked Dr's not to intervene and to let nature take it's course.  Sisters are going over this afternoon and I'm visiting both Mum and OH tonight.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6