Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Nausea / acid reflux  (Read 6284 times)

Bomber

Nausea / acid reflux
« on: November 13, 2013, 11:57:56 AM »

I'm coming up for 51 and have been suffering with awful nausea and acid reflux for the last four years. I also suffer with dizziness,anxiety,palpitations and joint pain, but I can put up with those. Have had a camera down my stomach and tubes down my nose, but docs have concluded I have GORD and I'm now on 40mg of omeprazole daily which helps, but is not a cure. I'm convinced my problems are hormonal and having read this article, have decided I'm going to take it in to my GP for comment. Have a read, it's a very interesting article.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2324019/Menopause-The-unexpected-signs-youre-hit-it.html#comments

Meadowblue

Re: Nausea / acid reflux
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 02:35:20 PM »

Same here.  I'm 52 and had had reflux in my 30's but nothing like this last couple of years.  Had the camera down and same diagnosis as yourself.  Didn't want to constantly take omeprozole so came off and relied on gaviscon which wasn't nearly as good.  However ...... coincidentally I was away on holiday a month or so ago and forgot to pack my various vitamin pills so couldn't take any.  Within a day the awful reflux had declined and now has almost 100% gone.  I was taking various vitamins, glucosamine, evening primrose, a multi vitamin etc.  All because I thought I was doing good for my health  >:(

It may be a total coincidence but thought it worth mentioning as I am feeling so much better now.

bev567901

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 07:17:48 PM »

Bomber I am 51 next month my worst symptom has been nausea but I do have a lot of others. Started with irregular periods (more frequent) then palpitations, nausea, anxiety, insomnia, diziness to name a few. It just got worse as the months went on. I was on omneprazole & anti nausea tablets but stopped them all when I hit rock bottom& was given an AD & benzo's. I am trying hard to get HRT currently. I am 100% sure my symptoms are hormonal with a bit of anxiety from feeling so poorly all the time. I keep a journal & its helping me see patterns. Not sure if its brilliant or rather sad to find someone with the exact same symptoms. My tongue went brown when all the acid stuff happened & I was on the omneprazole it was horrible. I wish I could go back to being 49 I was only ok for one month after turning 50 :-\ Bev xxxxx

maggiemck1978

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 07:43:06 PM »

This has become a problem for me too. It came out of the blue ie acid reflux and heartburn. Will check it out with the GP but my feeling is it may be hormonal. The hormones seem to influence very part of our body.
I have mood swings and feel quite anxious at times. Periods now pretty irregular. Last one mid September and June before that.
Oh the joys! Find this website useful and supportive  :)

Bomber

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 09:59:58 AM »

Thanks everyone for your replies.
Meadowblue, I am only taking the omeprazole plus starflower oil which I've only been taking for the last month. If things don't settle down soon, I might take your advice and at least ditch the starflower.
Bev, sorry to hear you're struggling like me. I'm thinking of asking doctor to refer me to a gynaecologist, perhaps you might do the same. I understand that many GPs jump to 'mental health issues' as they don't understand the hormonal link. Don't know if we can believe this, but the article said these issues last 5 years. If that's true, maybe I only have one year left.
I truly believe that HRT would make all the difference to me, but I'm really worried about the breast cancer link as well as unwelcome weight gain.

Chrislm

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 02:08:15 PM »

For what it's is worth Bomber, after 7 months on HRT I haven't put on any weight at all.

Unfortunately, the nausea has just come back (it went away for several months after starting HRT). I don't have acid reflux (although my husband does!). I am going to try changing my HRT dose to see if this helps.

Good luck.

bev567901

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 06:47:47 PM »

Bomber I know there are risks from HRT but my quality of life this last year is so low I am willing to take it (if I ever get it!)  I don't smoke or drink. I would welcome a bit of weight too.   I do feel very sad though for people going through dreadful days/nights endlessly that are too worried to take  HRT or cannot get it due to health or genetic issues when they do need it. Its been a real shock to me that hormones can be so debilitating & can change a person from  ;D to  :'(  Bev x