Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Radio 2 today Jeremy Vine Prof Studd etc  (Read 11793 times)

bev567901

Radio 2 today Jeremy Vine Prof Studd etc
« on: November 11, 2013, 02:06:21 PM »

Interesting discussion on Jeremy Vine Radio 2 today on menopause. Should be able to get it back on the radio i player. Bev x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Radio 2 today Jeremy Vine Prof Studd etc
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 02:29:46 PM »

I always shut JV off he annoys me as he is very confrontational!  Thanks anyway.

bev567901

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 02:54:00 PM »

CLKD!!!! I adore Jeremy Vine how very dare you ;D We like the same music too.  It is the highlight of my day & he once read a request out for me when he was doing a Jubilee special asking what people where doing & I emailed in to say my dog was in labour & he read it out!! Very special sound bite for me that is I was dancing around the radio. Saddo ;D ;D

Diamonds and pearls 53

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 03:07:08 PM »

I listened to this programme..once again Prof Klim and Prof John Studd presenting opposing views about hrt and at loggerheads with each other...pity us poor women who have to choose what is fact and what is fiction! Dr Sarah Jarvis was also there to give a 'balanced' view but I am not sure it was entirely..she made little mention of all the many side effects of lack of oestrogen that hrt can help-dryness,soreness, vaginal atrophy,lack of libido etc and concentrated mainly on hot flushes which she said abated in most women after 5 years.I am sure most listeners would have been left more confused than ever!

bev567901

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 03:35:47 PM »

It just made me more determined than ever to get HRT. I don't smoke, certainly not overweight, only have a sip of brandy when I am stressed (cos of not having HRT!) so I am quite happy to sign a form saying I accept the risks give it me now. If its not a magic pill or patch then at least I have tried it. I wonder what the risks are of my AD & benzo's they have fobbed me off with.
It didn't give much of a conclusion one way or the other, I feel sorry for people who are confused re taking it listening in. I am sure the Queen is happy about everyone knowing her medical details too, not sure why they mentioned that x :toff:

Rowan

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 03:42:56 PM »

Don't get me started on those two- Prof Klim and Prof John Studd unashamedly promoting their views on TV shows and in no way helping women at all, causing more confusion then ever.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 03:54:24 PM by silverlady »

Winterose

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 04:50:56 PM »

They should get a real expert on - Dr Currie .  Didnt listen to it as cant bear Jeremy Vine either , however do suspect in 20 years time Hrt will have been refined and every woman will be on it.  :)

Rowan

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 05:02:11 PM »

What women would appreciate is a balanced view that does not threaten their decision to either take or not take HRT.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 05:09:21 PM »

I didn't hear this programme but I did see 'Trust me I'm a doctor' so suspect this programme was along the same lines. Regardless of their expertise, I feel rather outraged that men are still making all these judgements and still on somewhat limited studies.  HRT treatments have changed since many of these studies were done - many women are taking much lower doses and the effects of using bio-identicals must be ongoing. These doctor's arrogance and pomposity makes me want to scream.
I agree the focus on flushes is absurd - I find the atrophy and bladder problems really distressing.
When I had my first baby there were these books about looking after baby that made you feel so inadequate in every way.  I later read somewhere that one of the authors had a baby she had a full time nurse looking after her and the baby for the first few weeks. My feeling is nobody should write about looking after a baby unless you have been a 24/7 mum without help for at least 2 babies. I want to hear advice from a group of female gynaes and professionals all in their 40s,50s,60s who are experiencing our meno problems - maybe then we would get a balanced view?
Why don't they interview Dr. Currie? A much better person to give advice. 
S :bang:Sorry about the rant.  DG x

Diamonds and pearls 53

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 06:15:26 PM »

Hear Hear Dancing Girl! Opinions and advice from professional women who have experienced meno symptoms is something that is long overdue..rather than the confusing and contradictory pontifications of  two male professors who are obviously old adversaries!
Diamonds and Pearls

Rowan

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 06:59:27 PM »

Do agree DP.

The only right way to deal with your menopause is the way that works for you, whatever path you take. HRT or not.

On MM we can only suggest and each of us comes from a different point of view eg how hormones work for us personally, if we have had a hyst or not, our own particular make up and health record or problems.

Its our own journey.

We don't need confusion from experts who can't agree that's for sure.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 07:16:36 PM by silverlady »

Hurdity

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 04:56:08 PM »

I have just managed to catch up with the relevant part of this programme having been very busy over the past few days.

It does seem to generate an emotional reaction on here!

Yes it does seem to be a repeat of but a more detailed discussion - that was first presented on "Trust me I'm a Doctor" and there was a similar thread on this forum then.

Unfortunately the fault is not with the two men (except I suppose for agreeing to do it!), but the programme makers who deliberately decided to ask the opinions of two researchers whose findings disagree with each other, and who are very limited in the way they can present a complex subject in such a short time, so that it is unnecessarily over simplified and without all the information. Of course they do not do it out of self interest and I'm not quite sure I understand why there is such opposition to Prof Studd's research? We actually do have a lot to thank him for regarding our current state of knoweldge.The fact is that Prof Studd, as I said on the last thread is a current and emninent researcher as well as a practising gynaecologist, and the research discussed by Prof Klim was 13 years out of date and has been re-analysed and the new conclusions published recently.

The difference in risk between transdermal and oral HRT was touched on, and the difference in breast cancer risk between oestrogen only and oestrogen/progesterone HRT, as well as the fact that the women in the WHI study were not the same sample of women (in terms of age, health and proximity to menopause) as those who normally start HRT, (and used horse oestrogens taken orally with synthetic progestogens - this wasn't mentioned).

I agree that it would be lovely to have a woman researcher on there presenting her findings but the patronising tone of the GP Sarah Jarvis regarding reading on the internet was beyond belief. It was helpful for her though, to point out that the absolute risk (of breast cancer) through HRT even using data from those studies, is small through HRT, and far less than being obese and drinking alcohol.

It would have been fantastic if Heather Currie had been on there - but I think you will find that her views, and the advice on this excellent website are in accordance with those of Prof Studd and the British, International and N American Menopause Societies. There are some risks, and these need to be explained to women, who then should be permitted to make up our own minds as to whether we are prepared to take those risks, or in some cases to accept a poor quality of life.

I lay the blame for confusing women at the door of the programme makers - and shame on them for not mentioning this amazing resource (Menopause Matters website) and the huge amount of information in the menu and beyond.

Hurdity x

rosie c

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2013, 07:54:09 AM »

Well Said Huridity !  :)

rosie c

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2013, 07:55:02 AM »

Hurdity.. even !  ::)

Night_Owl

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2013, 05:31:40 PM »

I haven't had a chance to listen to this yet - I was in a shop when it was on the radio and I listened to just a few minutes and couldn't hear properly.

Was it mentioned that the Queen is still on HRT?   Just curious.
Pages: [1] 2