Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Gabapentin for Hot Flushes/Sweating  (Read 21162 times)

Joyce

Re: Gabapentin for Hot Flushes/Sweating
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2013, 12:01:16 PM »

Fingers crossed for you.

Rosebush

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2013, 12:54:34 PM »

Tina so pleased to read you slept well, think if we can just sleep it helps with general mood, are you taking 300mgs?  please keep us posted..xx

Tina1957

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2013, 01:01:32 PM »

Yes taking 1 x 300mg cap daily!

However, after googling, it appears dose needs to be higher to control flushes, so will have to wait and see - GP has booked me a telephone app at the end of next week to discuss .

Fingers crossed!

Joyce

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2013, 05:46:52 PM »

With all meds they start on low dose & gradually increase as required.

Limpy

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2013, 06:21:48 PM »

Hi

Rosebush - I am currently on 300mg x 3 day. The pain killing benefits kicked in after 1 x 300g day, just slept better, got some pain now but need fewer painkillers.

Tina1957 - Really pleased you slept well, I found the light headed feelings ok, not totally brain dead like I did on
Amitriptyline

The strange thing is I tried gabapetin 100mg about 18 months ago, I just could'n hack it, got swollen fingers ankles and all sorts, that was on 2 a day. However, spoke to different GP recently about pain relief, we tried amitriptyline (real brain death). She suggested 300mg gab, working up gradually, making the point that the lower dose didn't work. I was very reluctant, but it really has helped for the pain

Tina1957

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2013, 12:45:10 PM »

Just an update...

Have taken Gabapentin for a week now - have felt a bit spaced out and light headed (some days worse than others) - unfortunately no difference in hot flushes.

Had tele app with GP this morning  - she has told me to increase to 2 x 300mg for a week and then if needed 3 x 300mg the following week.  She seemed to think the side affects should subside.

A bit worried having to now take a dose during the day as up to now have taken my one dose just before bed, but still remaining optimistic and hopeful.

Tinax 

Joyce

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2013, 10:09:12 AM »

You have to try these things don't you? Keep us posted though as I would be interested to find out if it works.

Limpy

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2013, 10:32:44 AM »

Hi Tina - I found the spaced side effects had much reduced by the time I got up to 3 x 300mg a day, but it does take a time.
I am still sleeping for England / oops Wales even now, but I quite like that.   ::)

Starting gradually, like you are will really help.
I found when I was on 2 a day, taking the night time dose around 9.30 pm and the morning dose at 9.30 to 10:00 am worked. You are already up and around by 9.30 so getting spaced out and woozy is less of an issue. The pain relief benefits I was looking for didn't kick in till I reached 3 x 300mg a day, may be the same with flush control?

It may take some time but I hope it starts to help you

Tina1957

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2013, 05:23:10 PM »

Update.....

Gabapentin has worked for me - not stopped the flushes completely, but I have now gained some normality to my life again!!

I still experience two or three flushes daily, but these are manageable unlike the constant hourly flushes previously.

I am currently taking 2 x 300mg morning and evening and 1 x 300mg lunchtime, which is a higher dose than normally needed - my GP has just introduced the extra lunchtime dose to see if it would help me further in stopping all the flushes.

Initial side effects have also disappeared  - so all good!!

Tina

Limpy

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2013, 05:55:18 PM »

Tina - Really glad to hear this.

It's still working for me too. The sleepiness has much improved, which is handy in the the event of having to get up to do things in the morning   ::)
Pages: 1 [2]