Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: itchiness  (Read 5528 times)

jaybe

itchiness
« on: November 09, 2013, 09:54:01 AM »

Does anyone have any suggestions for dealing with itchy bits (external). It has started with my other menopausal symptoms of night sweats and aching joints. The itching comes on usually in the evenings. I have stated taking Premarin for general menopause symptoms but only been on it just over a week.
I have tried Vagisil which I bought from the chemist, but it seems slow to work
Any other suggestions?

Thanks  :)

Dancinggirl

Re: itchiness
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 03:28:15 PM »

The itchiness is usually related to the dryness one gets with meno.  The flora in the vagina looses it's acidity and is out of balance and this can cause the itching.  The skin also becomes thin and dry as we progress through meno so makes it very sensitive. You may need local oestrogen cream or pessaries to help. Vaginal moisturisers like Sylk, Replens etc. can help.  I like to use Mult-Gyn Actigel - it stings a little when first used but I find it helps to keep things healthy and reduces itching.
Simple measures such as not using anything scented e.g. soaps - taking showers not baths, cotton pants etc. should also be observed.
Look at 'HRT Preparations' in the list on the left for more info.
DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 05:03:40 PM »

I used KY jelly sparingly to keep the inner and outer labia moistoned otherwise it would itchy usually when I was in a crowded place, unable to scratch  ::)

jaybe

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 08:47:57 AM »

Thanks for replies ladies.....can you buy multi-gyn actigel in chemist ?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 09:04:37 AM »

You can buy some of the vaginal creams/gels in the chemists but I tend to buy them online - it's often cheaper.  They do tend to be expensive and I find with Hyalofemme and Multi-Gyn Actigel I only use the syringe when symptoms are at their worst - most of the time I put some on a finger and work it up inside a bit and round the external area - a little and often is my motto.
DG x

Cassie

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 10:47:13 AM »

I went through a stage where itching drove me insane, tried everything from anti fungals, to cortisone creams, tea tree oil, even garlic up there lol, nearly killed myself doing that ouch, it burned to hang and back. Only thing that helped was upping my Oestrogel dosage, did that and hey presto, itching stopped, def related to VA but I had no idea @ the time.... so we learn... and I learnt more on this forum than I do from my own Doc!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 12:58:16 PM »

Cassie - I couldn't agree more - we learn so much from this website. I found even with Oestrogel HRT I get itchy.  I'm now using Vagifem which is helping a bit.  I still find Mulit-gyn is great to reduce the irritation. We all find our way of coping - we're all different. DGx

jaybe

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 01:18:45 PM »

Thanks again ladies....I have only been on Premarin for about 2 weeks and its a low dose...so maybe i will find i need more...but will have a look on the internet for the products you suggest :)xx

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 05:14:35 PM »

Hi jaybe

If the itching doesn't disappear while you are taking the premarin - you need to give it a few weeks - ideally 3 months, then I would definitely consider a vaginal (oestrogen) preparation. There are several of us on here who use systemic HRT (tablet or patches/gel) but still need local oestrogen to keep tissues healthy in that area too. By all means try one of the non-hormonal lubricating preparations recommended, as soon as you can, (and hope one of these does the trick!) but just thought I would mention this.

Hurdity x

Suzi Q

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 02:00:16 PM »

I agree if the itch isnt relieved please see your GP
It slounds like the start or could be of Atrophy mine started with an itch
I htought id been bitten Id been gardening it went off after a couple of weeks
Started up again a few months later I ignored it till I was in real pain I was stupid
Id say I will give it another week as I would have a good day then 3 bad ones
Bi like when your going to the dentist for that hurting tooth and blow me it stops hehehe
Dont leave it too long there are a few types  of HRT creams and pressaries
OrthoGynest Ovestin I used that and the mini pill for 10 years also Vagifem which is the simplest
Remember please dont ignore it ladies o here have given you some stuff and my tip is NIlstat
It does help with the tch but it wont cure it  take care huge hugs Suzi Q xxxxxxxxx