Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hysterectomy  (Read 9129 times)

Rose

Hysterectomy
« on: November 08, 2013, 08:02:10 PM »

Well it's me in trouble again! Went to gynaecologist  and I have large cyst on left ovary and lining of womb isn't good. I have been bleeding again. Anyway, the upshot is that I am going to have a hysterectomy plus removal of ovaries on Nov 20th. There is a history of ovarian cancer in family so instead of worrying about having frequent ultrasounds to check on things I am going to go through with it. My gynaecologist is fully behind me in this. he said that I wouldn't need progesterone but still need oestrogen. I would love to hear from anyone who has been through this so I know what to expect. I want to return to Uni next Feb (the start of our semesters) and I will b finish my degree by June. I just don't want to keep waiting to 'see what happens' with my womb and ovaries and as I have to have ovary removed I may as well go through with this.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hysterectomy
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 08:41:38 PM »

:hug:

bramble

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 09:36:18 PM »

Best wishes Rose with the op. Better to be safe than sorry esp. with your family history. Will you have it soon?
Bramble

andius

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 09:40:51 PM »

www.hystersisters.com

US site for those before, during and after hysterectomy.

At least you can read some info about it.

Andius

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 03:33:35 PM »

I can understand your reasons. Make sure your GP is on board with HRT if you're going down that route. I was on tablets initially then switched to gel, now patches. Gel or patches is a safer way to take it. There are alternatives though.
Recovery is about 6/8 weeks, though I expect you know that already. Just don't do too much to start with.  You should be ok by February to return to uni,I would think.
Good luck & let us know how you get on.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 04:50:50 PM »

Good luck Rose.  i agree with previous suggestions re HRT - go for patches or Oestrogel.  Oestrogel allows you to start on a low dose and increase till you feel good and then maintain.  I used just under 2 pumps per day on the inner thighs every morning for many years - it was great.
I wish you a speedy recovery.  I know a couple of women who have had the hyster done, recovered well and just take oestrogen - they are now feeling good.
Take care. DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 04:53:53 PM »

Have a talk with your GP about treatment after the operation.  My friend had enough wind to fly a kite after hers  ::)

miramar

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2013, 07:06:53 PM »

Hiya
I had more pain because of the gas then the Op.shoulder where killing for nearly a week. And do as they tell you, I was lucky my old man got 6 weeks of to look after me he drve me mad after 4 weeks.
The emotions that came with the Op knocked me for 6 too ::)

Rose

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2013, 09:32:35 PM »

Thank you all so much for coming up trumps again with your advice and best wishes. It will be on Nov 20th and he's going in at my belly button,  so the gas factor might not be so bad? The loss factor Miramar has struck me, as that part of me gave life to my 6 beautiful kids! However, I know I can't go on like this. Will be thinking about what oestrogen I'll need. I've been on Kilogest but have now dropped to Kilovance and seem okay on that. Again thank you and I'll welcome anyone's advice or story.
 :thankyou:

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2013, 11:09:25 PM »

Wow Rose - in the UK the first one of these ops was only performed this summer. Let us know how you get on - it seems that recovery time is only two weeks as opposed to at least six using traditional methods. I found this article http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2342195/Ive-hysterectomy--belly-button-First-British-patient-undergo-astonishing-new-op-leaves-scar.html  for those of you who are interested. Wonder if I can have mine done like that?

Sadly, Rose, you will still get the gas problem as they have to use it to inflate the tummy so they have more room to work in!

Taz x

Rowan

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2013, 10:00:41 AM »

Not quite true Taz my OH's son had been doing this operation for a while now, he also lectures on the technique.

Taz2

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2013, 10:05:47 AM »

That's great then - sorry was just going by the newspaper report - why wasn't I offered this or isn't it available on the NHS? I need to investigate. It would make such a difference to me if I could only take a couple of weeks of work, well not to me exactly, but to the rest of the team I work with. I get full pay for six months but it is difficult to leave colleagues in the lurch.

There seems to be a little bit of confusion now I have re-read the article. The laparascopy through the belly button has been done for a while but this is a new technique taking it one stage further. This is the professor speaking in June of this year.

"The new operation takes laparoscopic surgery one step further and has been made possible due to new instruments. Prof Erian, who operates at BMI Chelsfield Park Hospital in Kent, says: ‘I heard about the new procedure a year ago and have been waiting for the instruments to be refined. To my knowledge, this operation has been performed in only one other country – Greece – by an ex-pupil of mine. I am thrilled to introduce it here"

Taz x
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 10:07:59 AM by Taz2 »

Rowan

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2013, 10:36:38 AM »

OHs son has been to Greece for a convention about it. I do know that he has done laparoscopies' (keyhole) for a long time and was in the pioneering of it

I think it  will all depends on the size of the fibroid/s, if there are any other problems and the suitably of the patient.

Surgeons will have to learn the technique with the new instruments and it will probably take a while for it to trickle down the whole NHS.

It might be worth trying to get in touch with Prof Erian  to find out if other hospital are using the technique.

Taz2

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2013, 11:54:15 AM »

I see that the woman in the article was treated privately. Will investigate further.

Taz x

Rowan

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2013, 12:07:51 PM »

These things usually are before they become mainstream, but you never know Taz, let us know what you find out, I had thought of trying to find out to but not sure of protocol in these sort of things.
Pages: [1] 2