Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Sleeping too much.  (Read 11292 times)

Chrislm

Sleeping too much.
« on: November 08, 2013, 09:05:59 AM »

Hi
I know that the menopause affects sleep and there are lots of comments from ladies who can't sleep or who keep waking up. I seem to have the opposite problem, I am needing much more sleep. I need at least 8 hours to feel ok but often can sleep for up to 10 hours if I am able to.

I sleep deeply and I am absolutely fine all day ( I'm not tired at all) and I am very active - but I have always been active. (I used to need a normal 7 or 8 hours).

I started needing more sleep about a year ago, before I started taking HRT. Since taking HRT I have been sleeping well nearly every night - before the HRT I did have some nights when I would wake up several times.

Has anyone else found this? I am finding that it can be a real problem trying to fit this much sleep time into a busy working life!!

Thanks

honeybun

Re: Sleeping too much.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 09:13:21 AM »

What kind of HRT are you taking.

Utrogestan that is taken at night can make you sleepy.

Honeyb
X

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 09:40:50 AM »

I certainly sleep better with HRT.  I'm afraid I envy your ability to sleep so well. Quality sleep like that will do you nothing but good so do find the time to enjoy this.
I certainly find to maintain my very active life I have to take more rest times during the day to compensate for the lack of sleep I get during the night.
DG x
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 01:49:39 PM by Dancinggirl »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 11:29:39 AM »

My brain feels it needs more sleep than it is getting.  I suffer with very busy dreams which keeps me active even when asleep  :-\ add to that the change of clocks recently  ::) ..........

Chrislm

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 09:31:04 PM »

I am taking Elleste Duet 1 mg Honeybun. I don't know if it is making me sleepy, although sometimes I feel as though I could use a higher dose! I am sticking g to the lower dose for now.

I know you are right Dancing Girl, about the value of really good sleep. I have gone to post this message several times then stopped myself because I realise that being able to sleep deeply is do important.  I know what CLKD means from the brief time before I took HRT. It was horrible to wake feeling "unrested".

I am feeling anxious because I start a new job in January and I doubt that I will be able to fit in all the sleep I need right now as well as my domestic commitments and my exercise (which is a really important part of my life).

Thank you (as ever) for your replies ladies. It is so important to hear from others.

andius

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 09:39:12 PM »

If it were me, I would sleep now while I could as I'm sure you are.   I wish I could sleep more like when I was young. Life is never certain....things can happen that disrupt our normal routines including changes with hormones.

January is 2 months from now and who knows what will be different then.  If it is only your schedule, then perhaps you can catch up sleeping on the weekends?? or afternoon naps??

All the best,

Andius

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 05:06:55 PM »

Sleep is also an avoidance tactic for those with depression or stressors in Life.  Tell us more about your new job!  How far you have to travel, is it a new career or following on from something you have done before, Oh I am SO nosey  ;D

Chrislm

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 12:53:24 PM »

Hi CLKD

I work in a lovely area, advising heritage, culture and leisure organisations on their business plans. I am basically moving from a big multi national to a much smaller company, to do the same type of work. I have some jitters about starting with a new company, but nothing too serious. I don't think the sleep thing is linked to depression or stress - I am one of life's Tiggers (bouncing around optimistically and sometimes foolishly)!

I have started to have a few other symptoms like low blood sugar and stiff muscles (I have just posted about this too) and I wonder if it is all linked.

For info, I slept 10 hours straight last night - again!!

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 02:20:26 PM »

Hi Chrislm

I also sleep much more than I used to - definitely can sleep for 8 hours or more once I've got to sleep and if I'm not worried about something, and find it difficult to wake in the morning. However once I've got going (after husband has brought me two mugs of tea!) I am fine and raring to go - I am Tigger like you too. I have been on HRT for over 6 years but the sleep thing has come on in the past year or so, I would say (I am 60).

How long have you been taking lots of exercise? That has a beneficial effect on sleep and I am now doing two exercise classes a week as well as going for walks (only about 45 mins several days a week) and I am sure this is having an effect.

There is a difference in how much sleep you need and how much you could sleep if left - as you say - you could sleep for 10 hours but can manage on 8. Not sure what time you have to get up but do you think it will be difficult to live your life as you now by eg going to bed at 11 and rising at 7? Can you cut this by half an hour if you need to without noticeable difference?

As honeybun says - the sedative effect of HRT is due to the progestogen component which I presume you take for 12-14 days per month? Lack of oestrogen can make you tired, as well as low testosterone,  thryoid, iron and some vitamins! If you are well and active during the day while you are awkae it is unlikely to be these though - you would likely feel lacking in energy and tired while awake too.

Your job sounds really interesting!

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 03:12:06 PM »

Sounds like a really interesting job!

Chrislm

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 03:23:38 PM »

Thank you everyone for your posts and interesting to hear that you have a similar need for sleep Hurdity. I have been a runner and a cyclist for about 30 years, so it is nothing new although perhaps I am feeling the effects more now with lower hormone levels.

I might try a different dose or type of HRT, although as everyone has said, I just hope that I can carry on sleeping well.