Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Prepping for Scan  (Read 2035 times)

Cassie

Prepping for Scan
« on: November 06, 2013, 06:03:06 AM »

I may have to go for a ct scan of my colon and am already having palpitations at the thought of drinking that awful prep to cleanse my colon, I know it has to be done but the part that I am more stressed about is the nurse said that there is also a bottle of liquid to drink (45ml) which lines the colon. I have a very sensitive stomach and a strong gag reflex, I struggle to swallow anything that tastes remotely bad it just gags straight up again. Has anyone had to drink the contrast and if so, how did you get it down and how awful was it, silly to be such a baby about stuff like this, but I picture myself not getting this down and not being able to have the procedure.Thx ladies.

Ju Ju

Re: Prepping for Scan
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 09:34:27 AM »

I have been referred for an 'urgent' colonoscopy. Urgent meaning not waiting for 6 months. I had one years ago and my husband has one every 5 years as he has a strong family history of bowel cancer. The worst bit is the prep bit the day before. Not fun as I have a fear of having accidents. I didn't find that it made the IBS worse. I found the reassurance that there was nothing other than IBS going on made it worthwhile. I hope to have the same result this time.

I would imagine everyone feels apprehensive about these procedures and prep. Plan the day before. Be near the loo. If possible, watch some non-demanding TV, read a good book or magazine, do some puzzles.....things you can abandon in a rush! As to the drink you will have to drink before your procedure, tell the nurse how you feel. They will have seen people through all this before and can be supportive. Don't be embarrassed.

Best wishes and let us know how you get on.

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 09:45:56 AM »

Hi Cassie - I've found that if I have to drink anything that might make me gag then a strong peppermint before drinking it can help mask the taste.

It will be interesting to hear how you get on as I've only had ordinary sigmoidoscopy and not the virtual colonoscopy. Have you been given a lot of info?

Taz x

Cassie

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 02:59:32 PM »

Thx for the tips ladies. I also had the sigomoidoscopy years ago, remember mild discomfort, but nothing major. I have been given no info yet, will prob get it all when I go in to collect the bottles of prep liquid, yuck! All I know is that is is much quicker than a colonscopy and that one does not get sedated and also not as invasive, will keep you all updated. x

ellie

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 04:27:48 PM »

Cassie I had it done....if you take a big breath before the drink, you won't taste it.....I think I had an injection too, to relax the bowel....I am sure you will be fine...