News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Hello  (Read 1839 times)

toffeecushion

Hello
« on: November 07, 2013, 01:13:40 PM »

Hello,

I have been reading the forum for a while now as I was sure I was perimenopausal but my doctor doesn't agree. 

In the past I have been agoraphobic and suffered with anxiety but this improved and I was able to lead an almost normal life, but over the past year or so my anxiety has come back again and I am convinced it it related to the menopause.  I do have some other symptoms that could be menopause related as well.

My periods have been getting closer together and have been heavier than normal and then in October I missed my first one, so I am sure I am in perimenopause.

I went to my doctor a while back because I was feeling faint and giddy, she did a hormone blood test but said it was normal.  But I am convinced.

I just wanted to say hello and say how much I have gained from reading all the info on this site.

Dancinggirl

Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 02:45:28 PM »

Hello and welcome :welcomemm:
Good to have you on board.
Many ladies report very similar problems you are describing. You don't say how old you? Erratic periods are certainly a sign of peri-meno and anxiety can often emerge as a symptom. You will also read on various threads of this site that blood tests are far from conclusive - hormone levels will vary from day to day.  What a blood test can show is whether your ovaries are having to work extra hard to produce hormones & this can indicate onset of meno (I'm afraid I can't remember what it is they test for - someone with more scientific knowledge will explain).
Are you getting flushes, night sweats and/or any other symptoms?
Study all the info in the list to the left of this page.
Keep with us and you will learn most of what you need to know. DG x

toffeecushion

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 03:12:03 PM »

Thanks for replying.

I am 47 years old.  I haven't had any flushes or sweats yet, I have been having palpitations for a while now but it is the anxiety that is worse for me.  I have also started having trouble sleeping.  I get forgetful at times and apparently I am becoming very snappy and moody.

I now my symptoms do not have to be menopause related but with the change of my periods and with missing one last month I feel sure they are related.  In a way it is a relief to be able to say I am not going crazy there is a reason for me feeling the way I do.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 03:28:44 PM »

Do read through some of the threads on this site - you may find it comforting to know that there are so many suffering with anxiety. If you are going through stressful times etc. the added meno symptoms can enhance anxiety. Do you have family or friends who you can talk too about this?  As you have suffered with agoraphobia before, what treatment did you have for this?
I had some cognitive therapy some years ago when I was going through a very rough patch which helped enormously. Finding strategies for alleviating anxiety is a good first step.
The support network on this site can be very therapeutic so do share things on here.
If you are peri then the erratic periods may be just the first real sign  - my peri started at 35 and then the flushes and night sweats came on a couple of years later. We are all different and experience meno differently.  Keep with us.  DG x