Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: High Blood Pressure since Menopause - OMG!!  (Read 5315 times)

SunshineCEN

High Blood Pressure since Menopause - OMG!!
« on: November 04, 2013, 04:04:10 PM »

Just been diagnosed with hypertension (average reading 154/97) and have been prescribed Calcium Channel Blockers :'(  :-\

Picked up prescription and have not taken the tablets as yet. I have read that once you start the tablets, it's for life.  HBP has become an issue this year - 2 years into menopause. Is there anyone else out there with this issue and what has been your experience since on the meds?   Heeelp!

Taz2

Re: High Blood Pressure since Menopause - OMG!!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 04:36:56 PM »

Did you have your blood pressure monitored over three days or was this a one-off reading? Mine was high a while ago - even though I always had 110/70 BP up till last year - and with the monitor most days it was well down and so I didn't have to take the medication. I also worked hard (well fairly hard :-)) over a few months to cut right down on my salt and to walk for half an hour a day (brisk walking) and I think this helped. It's surprising how much salt there is in foods such as bread and cereals.

Would your doc give you a chance to control it in other ways? Info on this site http://www.bloodpressureuk.org/Home   Have a good read up and see if you can avoid the medication.

Taz x

oldsheep

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 06:51:40 PM »

Mine went up (and on HRT) but did they do a 24 hour reading with you? I was told mine was fine but with spikes so not hypertensive. Although the doc said that most people become hypertensive as they age  :(

I increased my exercise to 4x a week gentle exercise and hopefully that helps. Sugar is meant to be another villain, as well as salt, but I'm still working on that one!
Good luck

SunshineCEN

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 09:50:41 AM »

Mine went up (and on HRT) but did they do a 24 hour reading with you? I was told mine was fine but with spikes so not hypertensive. Although the doc said that most people become hypertensive as they age  :(

I increased my exercise to 4x a week gentle exercise and hopefully that helps. Sugar is meant to be another villain, as well as salt, but I'm still working on that one!
Good luck

Hi Old Sheep - Thanks. Yes I had a 24 hour monitor fitted.  I have been really good with keeping my salt intake very, very low.  Sugar - I did not realise that this could affect BP negatively - I will have to work on that one because I do get sugar cravings!! ::)  I do usually go to the gym at least twice a week but did not go last week - may need to increase frequency.  I drive to work everyday and it be worth doing half-hour power walking in my lunch breaks.

SunshineCEN

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 10:08:00 AM »

Did you have your blood pressure monitored over three days or was this a one-off reading? Mine was high a while ago - even though I always had 110/70 BP up till last year - and with the monitor most days it was well down and so I didn't have to take the medication. I also worked hard (well fairly hard :-)) over a few months to cut right down on my salt and to walk for half an hour a day (brisk walking) and I think this helped. It's surprising how much salt there is in foods such as bread and cereals.

Would your doc give you a chance to control it in other ways? Info on this site http://www.bloodpressureuk.org/Home   Have a good read up and see if you can avoid the medication.

Taz x

Hi Taz - Thank you for the link - will take a read.  I had the 24 hour monitor fitted.  When I asked whether there were any natural methods she said she did not know of any.  Quite frankly - she answered with a no so quickly she did not give herself time to think of any alternative.  Oh to find a good GP - they are so far and few between :-\
I agree with you regarding salt levels in cereals and bread - I do not eat bread or cereals often.

GP sent me for a fasting blood test to see how the body is doing.

Thanks again to you and Oldsheep!! Have a good day today x :peace:

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 05:43:40 PM »

Exercise is the biggest thing you can do to help Sunshine - walking is excellent and that, coupled, with a few dietary changes might help quite a lot.  this is from the Blood Pressure Association site which may give you some help http://www.bloodpressureuk.org/BloodPressureandyou/Mystory/Joy

Taz x

Kat65

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 02:33:21 PM »

Hello SunshineCEN,
are you on HRT?
I am on Elleste 2 mg, and I have very high blood pressure too. I was asked if I would be willing to stop HRT, and to be honest, at only 48, I really don't want to. I felt awful, could not sleep, and was really not myself without it.
I have my fasting blood test and ECG nect week, and will have a think about it afterwards.

It seems neverending...as if aging and menopause wasn't bad enough on it's own already  ;)

Kat

Joyce

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 04:47:47 PM »

My BP went up day after ovaries removed. Been on BP meds ever since. However, it definitely helps to exercise. Doesn't have to be a lot, walking & swimming have worked for me as mine would creep up occasionally.