Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Spots!  (Read 4812 times)

Witch hazel

Spots!
« on: November 03, 2013, 07:11:19 PM »

I was lucky not to suffer from much in the way of acne when I was a teenager, but I am definately making up for it now!

I keep getting break-outs of horrible, painful and often "blind" spots around my nose, mouth and chin.  The ones that do come to a head, I gently squeeze to relieve the pressure in them (I know, I know - slapped wrist, but it eases the pain in them and they are much less noticeable once they are "empty") and they heal up quite quickly, but the ones that are "blind" seem to stick around for days.  The last really bad one a couple of weeks back seemed to affect the whole side of my nostril, and it was really swollen, red and sore - looked like I'd been punched!  I can feel another one brewing now, under my nose.

The worst thing is I started a new job last week, so I am mixing with new people and meeting "customers" all the time, and I'm even more self-conscious about my spots than usual.

I have a clay-type mask that I use once a week, and that does seem to take some of the redness and inflammation away for a short time, but I am really looking for something that might calm my skin down, or help prevent these spots coming in the first place.  I started taking Evening Primrose capsules a few weeks ago, but after a few days, had a really bad attack of "the runs" and wonder if the EPO was the cause, so stopped again - anyone else suffer this side effect?

If anyone could suggest a supplement, cream, spot treatment or something else I could try, it would be much appreciated.  Thank you

Ju Ju

Re: Spots!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 07:54:49 PM »

I didn't have acne earlier in my life, but did in my 40s. It got so bad, I had antibiotic treatment, which didn't help, but did make IBS worse. I found my hair irritated it, so reluctantly I had it cut. To be honest, patience was the best treatment. It eventually went, reoccurring once, before disappearing altogether. It hurt my vanity, but no one else was bothered. It is hormonal.

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 08:39:18 PM »

Hi LesleyA

Not sure where you are in meno, but many women suffer from what is known as "menopausal acne" which is like red blotchy spots but often not like true acne ie not proper spots with a head - and seem to get worse with overheating.

I started to get these but they completely disappeared with HRT only to begin to recur when I stopped HRT a couple of years ago for 3 months. It was a shock to me as I had always had clear skin and never acne as a teenager!

A friend had these badly and was in a similar situation - full-time job and meeting people. She just used to cover them with make-up.

Not sure if yours are the same?

Hurdity

andius

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 11:49:08 PM »

I got those pimples some with a head and some without around my nose creases when I tried to raise my patch dose.  I didn't feel better on the higher dose and when I stopped it, they went away.

I also got them in puberty.  My sympathies, they really hurt!

Andius