Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Give up house work!  (Read 4321 times)

Ju Ju

Give up house work!
« on: November 27, 2013, 05:14:38 PM »

Well that's what my husband suggested as we surveyed my hands after cleaning the kitchen!

The kitchen looks great, but my hands are covered in plasters and I have resorted to wearing disposable gloves. I used to have severe eczema on my hands, which were covered in 'cuts'. Even as a child my hands looked liked old lady's hands much to my embarrassment. Now the rest of me is catching up! In my early 20s, my GP told me they would get better as I got older. What he didn't tell me is that the steroid ointments he was prescribing had a side effect. They thin your skin. I stopped using steroid ointments since my 30s once I realised what was happening. I stopped seeking help from the doctor as well. Although I haven't used these ointments for so long, the problem seems to be getting worse as I get older. I may knock my hands, often not registering that I have done so, and a chuck of skin is knocked out, then I will find blood dripping on what I am doing. Not painful like eczema, but annoying.

I'm not looking for advice! I doubt there is any to be given. Just venting my frustration! In fact, I think writing this down and sharing anonymously helps. There are much worse health problems out there.

ariadne

Re: Give up house work!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 05:23:59 PM »

I do sympathise. Although not as severe as yours, my hands too look very old, especially the skin on my right hand as that's the one that does most of the work. The tip of my thumb and forefinger are scaly with hard skin that looks discoloured. The skin around my nails is in bad condition too and the backs of my hands are thin skinned and scaly! Jeez- I sound a real wreck!

I know I need to wear gloves EVERY time I do any housework but I think "oh just this once won't hurt without" but of course it does.  Even a small cleaning job upsets them.

Can't give up housework though - too houseproud :)

Ariadne xx

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 05:44:22 PM »

Housework?? Nope - sorry - I don't understand...  :lol:

bramble

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 05:47:41 PM »

My hands are the one thing that I don't want to look old. I love my long nails and polish and am proud of my hands. I do not do anything special - just genes I suppose. Normally wear gloves in the garden just to keep my nails clean. Pity my face does not look as young as my hands!

Bramble

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 05:55:43 PM »

I've just looked at mine - they look very old but I never seem to remember to put anything on them and never do anything to my nails either. They are all different lengths - the nails not the hands..

Taz x

Ju Ju

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 06:49:54 PM »

I used to bite my nails until I travelled round the world for 6 months, a few years ago. I think I should go and have a manicure. Another first!  :)By the time I am 80 my hands will match my hands!

While doing the house work, I was reflecting on how wonderful young children are. I remember a little child stroking my hand and saying, "Miss, I think your hands are poorly." A fellow teacher looked at them with distaste and asked me if it was catching! I feel empathy for people with more profound disfigurement.

honeybun

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 07:06:31 PM »

Ok I could have written that.

I have contact dermatitis and have over used steroid creams for decades. I really did despair until I found my magic potion. It's called Derma Shield. It's foam that you rub on your hands and it really works. If you Google it you can find out all about it. It's not cheap but it lasts for ages. For the first time in years I have comfortable hands. No hacks, no bleeding, no blisters.

Unfortunately I still have to do the housework  ;D

Honeyb
X

ariadne

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 07:25:04 PM »

HB-just googled Derma Shield and reviews are great. Bit puzzled by one on Amazon that said it stopped gums bleeding and cured gingivitis  ;D I think that review should have gone elsewhere!

I think I'll try the 50ml size first to see how I get on with it as it is expensive like you said but worth it if it's going to do the trick.

Thanks for recommendation :-)

Ariadne xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 07:37:39 PM »

Honey is a natural healer and has antiseptic properties.  Wash with clean warm water and dry gently.  Get some runny honey and put a little into each sore area.  Sit and rest.  Make sure that the honey seeps deep into any cracks as skin heals from the inside out. 

Savlon is the other cream I find useful.  Cotton gloves under rubber gloves might help? 

Lemon juice is drying.  Lemon is often used in cleaning properties.

Ju Ju

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 08:49:51 PM »

Just looked up Derma Shield. Glad to see it is not the same as Derma Guard, which didn't help. I'll give this a whirl. Thanks HoneyBun. Most creams don't help, but I find Diprobase good as long as I keep reapplying after washing my hands. None of this helps when I knock my hands though. I should get shares with Elastoplast! Or maybe lead a life of leisure  ;). I like having visitors as my hubbie dashes round tidying and vacumning, though I don't think he knows what a duster is!  ;D

honeybun

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 10:06:48 PM »

I have the problem with very thin skin especially on my right hand. I have had dermatitis for about 40 years and used steroid cream for most of those years.

It's getting something that protects and calms and soothes. Creams,are fine but they get washed off too easily. Derma Shield seems to put a protective coating on your hands that does not wash off.
Wearing rubber gloves when using cleaners is important.

This stuff does the trick for me. I often ended up near tears with the pain of tearing skin. Really not nice and not pretty. I was also embarrassed for anyone to shake my hand.

Honeyb
X