Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Hello from a muddled up newbie  (Read 3916 times)

Hoodoo

Hello from a muddled up newbie
« on: November 02, 2013, 12:14:09 PM »

Hi, I'm 44, new to the forum and in a horrid muddle with myself.
Not felt right since mid 30's, diagnosed with fibroids and fitted with a Mirena. Developed debilitating migraines 3 years ago with tiredness, joint pain, drastic mood changes and memory loss, to and fro to Gp but it was only when hot flushes hit that I suggested menopause. Tests showed prof and estrogen diagnosed.

After trying a few types am fairly settled on a low dose estradot patch, migraines, flushes,tiredness and memory have all improved. However I'm really not coping well.

The aches and pains are wearing me down, they are debilitating, knees, feet, back, hips and hands. I'm trying vit d3 and triple omega but not sure they are working. I creak andq pop when I walk and can only do one step at a time.

Also recently found out a strong early cancer link runs in the family with father and paternal grandma having colon and womb cancer respectively ( father died when I was young and never knew his relatives) I recently had an unusual bleed and pelvic pain so GP has requested a womb scan. Our hospital has refused unless I come of hrt for 6 weeks which I don't think I can cope with! I tried to stop for a few weeks in summer for some surgery and the symptoms came back with a vengeance within a fortnight. Dr was very concerned pre hrt with the frequency of migraines and though I was a stroke risk. Stopping would increase this again I feel.

Don't have the strength right now for this fight. Just want gene screening, a program that works and to feel human and active again. Any tips as I'm really not coping.

honeybun

Re: Hello from a muddled up newbie
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 12:38:56 PM »

:welcomemm:

You have come to the right place for help and support. I think you will have to come off your HRT in order to get checked out. I know it will be hard but worth it in the end. I don't think at your age that you are at increased risk of cancer as you are only replacing the hormones that you should have at your age. Perhaps as you get older you will have to reassess things.
Have you been tested for arthritis. It's all to easy to put everything down to meno.
Others will be along soon to help.

Welcome aboard. It sometimes just helps to know you are not the only one suffering.

Honeyb
X

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 01:03:01 PM »

Welcome from me too.,

I hope that you have had tests to work out why you can only walk such a short distance - you do need to rule out things such as arthritis as Honeybun says.

Up to the age of 50 you will not be at risk through taking HRT - in fact you need it to protect your heart and bones up to the normal ages of meno which is thought to be 50/51 years of age. It is usual for you to have to stop HRT before your investigations at your young age - a nuisance but necessary and better to get it sorted. I am off HRT at the moment so I appreciate your misgivings.

I believe that HRT has been seen to help prevent bowel cancer but haven't got time at the minute to find the article.

If your father was under the age of 45 when he died from bowel cancer you are entitled to regular screening to check your own health.

Taz x  :)

Hoodoo

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 01:13:20 PM »

Thanks, father diagnosed mid 40's died at 47, grandmother died at 46 of womb cancer, plus my sister had non hodgekins lymphoma mid 49's, thankfully survived. GP is trying to get a scan by rewriting the referral to check on the fibroids. If that fails I guess I'll have to try coming off the hrt.

I've had blood tests which show no inflammation, due to go back for a double appointment to try to get on top of things but do get the impression I'm not being listened to or being taken seriously, this is the third gp I've seen and I think the most sympathetic though.

Reading through the forum is helping though. Look forward to any other thoughts.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 06:10:41 PM »

Hi Hoodoo  :welcomemm: from me too.

You don't need to come off HRt to be checked for abnormal bleeding. I was told that recently but consulted Dr Currie (through the e-mail paid consultation) and she said in my case I didn't have to.

Good idea for the doc to recommend looking at your fibroids.

My view would be that the dose maybe too low. You said you were on a low dsoe patch but at your age it can be much higher since average age of menopause is 52. Myabe the docs are being cautious with the oestrogen due to your fibroids, although I understand that levornogestrel (the progestin in Mirena) is quite powerful in keeping the womb lining thin.

Hurdity x

oops posted by mistake before I'd done the check for typos!

andius

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 07:52:22 AM »

I don't understand the doctor's reasoning to come off HRT for an ultrasound scan of the uterus? Wouldn't they want to see if the lining was thick or fibroids growing.  It seems that could go away if you went off the HRT?

Does that mean they have to take the Mirena out?  :o or you just don't wear the patch for a while? Hopefully what Hurdity said will be true for you!

Can someone please explain??  I hope you get things sorted out soon, Hoodoo.  :)

Also, the  big WHI study published in 2002 showed that the women who took HRT had less colon cancer than those who didn't (statistically lower risk)....for what it's worth, even though the HRT used is not what you are using and the women in the study were older.

Thanks,

Andius

Hoodoo

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 06:54:15 PM »

Thanks, I had the Mirena before diagnosed with menopause so that would stay, it seemed to sort out the fibroid issue.
The gp who prescribed hrt is obsessive about me having the lowest possible dose which to me is at odds with what I've read about earlier menopause. Will keep my fingers crossed I get the referral through without having to stop hrt. Husband has suggested asking for a private referral if refused again.
Just cba with the battle at the mo, seems ridiculous and unnecessarily difficult.

Cassie

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 07:08:23 PM »

Could you not try the gel as it is bio identical, transdermal so considered more "user friendly" and you can adjust the dose from the very minimum of one pump upwards. I also do not understand the reasoning in coming off HRT to have a scan, just does not make sense, private may def be an option, I do hope that you get sorted. x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 05:38:52 PM »

I've had Mirena for last 4 years and used Oestrogel with it.  Oestrogel is great because you adjust according to need. 
Re colon cancer - I believe HRT reduces the risk of colon cancer.
Can someone out there confirm this?
DG x