Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: OCD and Menopause  (Read 18379 times)

SueM

OCD and Menopause
« on: November 01, 2013, 05:29:09 PM »

Since Ive become menopausal Ive become for want of a better word a bit OCD  :-\

Always cleaning and pottering around, other night my daughter had barely finished her dinner and I took her plate away luckily she saw the funny side of it  ::) I alway do housework but all of a sudden Ive become totally obsessed.

Am I going mad or is it connected to hormones maybe  ???

Sue xx

Dyan

Re: OCD and Menopause
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 05:51:59 PM »

Hi SueM,
I am a diagnosed OCD sufferer,not the cleaning kind but intrusive thoughts.
I have heard of people suffering from OCD after they've had a baby so hormones could play a part in it
Does the cleaning and pottering around make you anxious,especially when you want to do it,and then when it's done you are relieved,but a little while after you want to do it again? :-\

Since meno, especially when depression sets in,my OCD rears it's ugly head and then the anxiety comes in then the OCD then anxiety,more depression it's a vicious cycle.
I take medication for the OCD,Fluoxetine AD and also Mirtazapine AD for the anxiety.
I have had OCD all my life but only diagnosed 9 years ago.

SueM

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 05:57:43 PM »

Hello and thanks for your reply!

Im full of life etc but just cant seem to sit still. Slight bit of mess and Im up cleaning it Im driving my children mad and my ex husband has said that Im obsessive  :-\

Im not letting it really bother me 100% but did wonder if there was maybe a connection..

Sue xx

Dyan

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 06:21:16 PM »

I would say that if it becomes worse and is disrupting your life to the point that you can't leave the house or do anything else then seek help.
OCD is a dilabitating  mental illness that people don't understand and tend to use the term "I'm/she's a bit OCD " a bit too loosely.
I'm not getting at anyone here but if people knew and understood exactly what it was then they would think twice about saying things like that. ;)

Dyan X

bev567901

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 07:01:35 PM »

I totally agree with Dyan re the OCD after a baby so OCD could be hormonal. I have started doing strange things too like laying the kids uniform out at 9am for the next day instead of at night like normal. Also I have become attached to my dressing gown, I can't wash it tried to last week had a panic attack over it & got it out after 10 mins. I can relate to my daughters teddy bear now that has to be unwashed. People always think OCD is cleaning related but it can be so different to that. I have been more of the cleaning OCD type in the past but have relaxed on that now. I am hoping my anti depressant is going to take away some of the OCD thoughts I have like leaving a clean spoon in the dishwasher when unloading because it might be harmful. I think we all have a little OCD in us but when it is effecting every day life that is the time to seek help before it gets worse.  Perhaps write a journal of what you think is OCD & see how often it is & times etc to see if you can make any conclusions & then if you decided to take it further you have something to show your doctor. Bev x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 07:05:31 PM »

For me it's about keeping on top of things.  I used not to be house proud but now I just want things clean and tidy - I then feel less stressed.
DG x

bev567901

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 07:19:57 PM »

Yes I remember that feeling I couldn't sit down & relax until everything was perfect. I seem to have substituted that now for other stuff although friends tell me my house is immaculate still. Its about control or is it because OCD is controlling us? I seem to be so deep & meaningful today on here, but then I get up go in a room & can't remember what I went in for or what I was going to say.  I just had a bath by candlelight as a destress thing & couldn't see to shave my legs ha.

Dyan

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 07:30:12 PM »

;D
You are so right Bev we all have a little bit of OCD in us but when it takes over your day to day living is when it's time to seek help.

I use to be on top of things DG and had specific days to do specific jobs around the house,but not now.
What's housework ??? :-\  ;D

bev567901

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 07:40:16 PM »

Yes me too!  I haven't got that ooomppfff I used to have for cleaning. We aren't going to die or anything but a bit of dust & dirt just doesn't bother me so much. I sort of do half a job now. I'm not nagging my husband to cut the lawn or do the hedges or anything at all really. He used to have a list. I am sure he appreciates it!  I found some dreadful mould in the bathroom today, that would never have been allowed to happen as I used to do it every day. Its gone now but for how long? 

honeybun

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 07:43:15 PM »

I have always been a bit of a clean freak with compulsive tendencies. When mine really kicks in is when someone in the house has a tummy bug. Then the bleach comes out and the hand washing ramps up.
I think perhaps as I have a sickness phobia that's the reason.

If and when it begins to impact on daily life is the time to seek help. Normally I am ok and the older I get the less bothered about housework I become. The dust will be there when I am long gone. I am trying to find more to my life than being overly houseproud.

Honeyb
X

bev567901

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 07:50:34 PM »

Honeybun I bought a new book that came today off Amazon. Its called cure your emetophobia & thrive by Rob Kelly who is a hypnotherapist. It has really good reviews. I don't normally read self help books but decided I can't rely on the NHS so to get off my ass & sort myself out. I've not read any yet, a bit scared. If its good I will send it to you. x

honeybun

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 07:54:13 PM »

I would be really interested to hear what you think of it bev.

Please let me know although I suspect mine is so deeply entrenched that nothing will sort it.

Honeyb
X

SueM

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 07:59:24 PM »

For me it's about keeping on top of things.  I used not to be house proud but now I just want things clean and tidy - I then feel less stressed.
DG x

YES!! That describes me to a t!!!

Sue xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 08:01:38 PM »

I don't see a problem with laying out clothing the previous evening.  It's what we did before School when kids so that there wasn't a rush to find things each morning.  It meant that anything missing could be sorted, any buttons requiring sewing could be done the night before.

DH and I go out and about when cleaning becomes too much  ;) ........ hormones  >:( ....... they can over take us at times  :-\ think PMT for example.  I do think too that an un-cluttered home means a quieter mind .........

My psychologist told me I was not a suitable candidate for hypnotherapy .........

bev567901

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 08:33:36 PM »

CLKD I used to do it at night now it has to be done at 9am for the next school day when they are barely just at school. I think its a what if I have a wobbler & Daddy won't know what to do type thing.
I agree uncluttered home=uncluttered head, I know where everything is my husband is disorganised & his mind is a whirl. He procrastinates to the point he gets out of control so I just took everything important off him all the financial stuff so no more bank charges & piles of filing!!
Pages: [1] 2