Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Sons Wedding- Dont know what to wear. HELP!!!!!!  (Read 13727 times)

valiantkate

Sons Wedding- Dont know what to wear. HELP!!!!!!
« on: October 30, 2013, 08:29:14 PM »

My son is getting married soon, its in  a hotel and will be so lovely. I do have a problem though, I have no idea what to wear. Generally, I wear jeans, and a range of t shirts and tops- sooo original but I love being comfy.I'm a bit of a tomboy I suppose. the thought of dressing up scares me a bit. I grew up in a very male dominated home- My mum was in hospital for most of my teen years and childhood and I never had a 'feminine' support around me,  so I never knew what really suited me, so I ended up like .. well, this!
anyway, I went to try a few dresses on today, Oh boy. Mutton and lamb came to mind!
I'm a size 16, have chunky legs and arms- dislike my legs in particular. Many dresses are quite short and looked silly. Do any of you have some advice for me?
I think I'm beginning to panic a bit. Valxx :o

smudgesmum

Re: Sons Wedding- Dont know what to wear. HELP!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 08:44:01 PM »

Do you have a Debenhams or House of Fraser near you?  If you do book a personal shopper appointment who will help you find the perfect outfit.

Long dresses only look good on someone who is taller rather than short, so what about a nice trouser suit if you don't like your legs.  There are some rather nice palazzo trousers and floaty tops out at the moment.

Good Luck and Enjoy

Smudgesmum xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 09:05:18 PM »

I love my long dresses but tend to look chunky - 5 foot tall and although I feel good, I cringe when I see the photos  ::)  Are you a tall 16?  Long hair  .......... short ..........

I agree a personal shopper.  What is the bride wearing?  Are there to be bridesmaids?

One doesn't want to out-dress the bride and try not to clash with the colours choosen for the dressers and flowers.

Coluttes (sp) ?  When trying outfits on it is important to sit for about 10 mins to make sure that you feel comfy  ;)

Ju Ju

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 09:24:48 PM »

I hate seeing photos as well. Is that a double chin developing? I had the help of a personal shopper when I shopped for my son's wedding. Have you a friend who could come with you shopping? One who can see what suits you and is prepared to be honest?

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 10:42:47 PM »

My brother's second wife married in a trouser suit & very smart she was too. She's seldom worn skirts or dresses, ever. She wanted comfort on her big day. Few weeks later she wore another trouser suit to another wedding. Her jackets long enough to cover her bum, but not so long as to drown her.

Wear what will make you feel comfortable on the day. Try & complement chosen colours for flowers/bridesmaid's dresses.

Ju Ju

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 12:32:31 AM »

Yes, I ended up in a gorgeous trouser suit. The wedding was in March, so similar temperatures.

Scampi

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 02:46:59 PM »

My mum has always been a 'trousers' person (even in photos of her in her very early twenties she's wearing trousers) - for both my weddings she wanted to wear a skirt to be a bit 'dressy' - she went with mid-calf length skirts, very simple tops (t-shirt/vest shape, but pretty fabric) and toning long-line jackets (no hat!!) - she looked amazing (she's a good size 22, btw), and said she felt comfortable and not self-conscious.

Rowan

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 03:32:28 PM »

Something like this would be beautiful, with a lovely gauze scarf.

http://www.joyceyoungcollections.co.uk/collections/mother-of-the-bride/2012-collection-j/

I would like it in a light grey silk with an old gold gauze scarf.

I would wear something like and I am small.

lily

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 04:08:48 PM »

My outfit for my sons wedding was a dress and jacket from House of Fraser and was generous in size, I probably should have taken a size smaller.  The dress was not above the knee and the jacket wasn't too long and was 3/4 length sleeves and I felt it dressed me more as the dress was quite simple - so good for the photos and just the dress in the evening.  I wore sling back shoes, quite a small fascinator and had a wrist cortage and clutch bag.  I originally wanted to get something I could wear again, but then worried guests may turn up with the same on.  I have been to a wedding since though so got use of it again.  The day will fly by, so savour every moment!

Suzi Q

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 05:23:18 AM »

I wore a Trouser siut for my wedding in the 70s even today it looks OK
When son got married IM 5/2 size 14 I went to a Antique shop
I bought a lovely to the ankles 1950s swishy skirt silk gold one I bought a chocky brown top
Long sleaves with gold flecks in a pair of gold 2inch shoes from RED CROSS shop for 2pounds
Top Shop Debs DPerkins is that still going? The trolleys with the long jakt lovely Light blouse
A pretty  dressy one so if you get warm you can take the jkt off you will still look lovely
Get some cheap and cheery bling Im sure you will look wonderful what ever you wear xxxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 12:57:26 PM »

Yep SuziQ as far as I know all 3 are still in the High Street
Vintage is 'in' ..........

valiantkate

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 10:22:48 AM »

I think I have found the answer- I saw a lovely dress in House of Frazer- by Eliza J- its a 50s inspired design- full skirt, yeah, not too short- double yeah- 3/4 sleeves. Check it out- however I have not tried it on and I might look like a fool- I will see what else they have to offer as well, so trousers seem to be a good idea as well.
I'm 5 foot 5 with quite thin fine fair  hair- (It was kast time it was dyed) so I will take all your advice on board.

A huge thank you to all of you for your advice- I do have sisters after all! :foryou: