Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Estrogen 50mcg patch and hair loss  (Read 13092 times)

Diana

Estrogen 50mcg patch and hair loss
« on: October 29, 2013, 08:05:44 PM »

Hi .
 I have been using 50mcg Estrogen patch for 10 weeks then 200mg Utrogestan for 12 days.(for a year now)
Felt really good on it until a couple of probs came up.One being hair loss.
I have had a really bad time with hair coming out in clumps !!  I know hair thins as we get older
but this really isn't normal...

Has anyone else had problems with either the Estrogen Patch or Utrogestan?

I thought it was the Utro but since I've been off both for a month,I'm not really sure any more.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Regards
Diana
x

Joyce

Re: Estrogen 50mcg patch and hair loss
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 10:51:56 PM »

I'm on Estradot 25 these days, but was on 50 initially, then down to 37.5. None of them have caused hair loss. I have a thick head of hair, always have, but sure I would have noticed.

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 12:19:30 AM »

Maybe you should consult a trichologist Diana? I did a few years ago and they were really helpful. My hair thinning was due to stress which had occurred months before.

Taz x

andius

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 02:06:19 AM »

I lost a lot of hair after each of my pregnancies.

I lost a lot of hair with menopause with no hormones.

Since I have been on the patch starting 3 years after my periods stopped....my hair seems to be growing back in.

That is what happened to me.  I believe the drop in estrogen is what causes hair loss. Take TAZ's advice.

A

Diana

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 11:28:57 AM »

Hi, Thankyou all for replying. :)

My hair is really thick and almost waist length and I have never had this sort of problem before.
I have been on and off HRT for years.

I am sure it is something to do with the HRT.I start losing a lot of hair while taking the
Utrogestan so I am not sure if it could be the drop in Estrogen because of the Utro or the Utro itself.
 After a week or so off the Utro ,my hair stops coming out. :-\

I am on Femoston at the moment and no hair loss probs at all( problem with this is the bleeding)

Thankyou all again
Regards
Diana
x

Cassie

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 06:16:39 AM »

Mmm, I am on Utro @ the mo, well just finished this months last one yesterday, also been noticing lots of hair in my brush, drivies me insane, could be the Utro, will see if it stops now that I have finished the course....:)

Sarah2

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 08:27:19 AM »

If you read the leaflet that comes with the Utrogestan, hair loss is listed as a possible side effect.

I am losing a bit of hair but I think it's more to do with a type of dandruff /itchy scalp I get usually in the autumn. This seems to make my hair fall out. Thankfully the itchy scalp has now gone but I've been left with some hair loss in patches- very slight and the hair is growing back.

At the same time though I've now been taking Utrogestan for several cycles but only 10 days every 8 weeks. So I am not sure if this has contributed to it as well.

Not much help to you but thought it worth adding!

Cassie

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 09:01:21 AM »

Must have a read of the side effects. Thx Sarah is that 100mg or 200mg that you are taking, would love to take mine so seldom but I get a thickened lining, do you have regular scans to keep an eye on that side of things?

Sarah2

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 09:05:52 AM »

I take 200mgs every 8 weeks.
I have scans quite often because in the past even when taking Norethisterone for 5 years I had some breakthrough bleeding.
If there was no irregular bleeding then I think my consultant would suggest a scan every 12-18 months.
My last scan showed a tiny increase from 6mm to 7 mm but it was done just before a bleed was due rather than 'week 1' when I usually have them- my consultant was ok with that but will always scan me if there is any irregular bleeding. This is privately and I now have to pay for my scans as my insurance won't cover.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 09:07:32 AM by Sarah2 »

Cassie

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 09:56:42 AM »

Thats interesting to know Sarah2. I also go privately and have had a couple of times on the Utro where I have had to go back for a scan due to breakthrough bleeding. That was when I was on 100mg for 7 days a month, so he pushed it up to 12 days a month. I also went @ the wrong time for my last scan, just pror to a bleed and the lining was 7mm but he was not concerned, and told me, that next time I come, I must make sure that it is in week 1, just after my bleed, so will remember that. I could not tolerate the 200mg found them very heavy and gave me bad tinnitus. Anyway, will see how things go on the 100mg more regularly, thankyou for the info. I also suffer from a terribly itchy scalp and loss of hair come change of season.... :(

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 05:26:23 PM »

Utrogestan is supposedly the least androgenic of all the added progestogens....

Isn't an underactive thyroid also supposed to cause hair loss?

Also Diana just re something you said - Utrogestan does not cause a drop in oestrogen which I think you mentioned. However if it is happening with you anyway - the hair loss on the Utro - it is a strange phenomenon and a very annoying side effect if Utrogestan is the cause.

I am interested also to read that you were on a 12 week cycle - which I would also love to but worried about the thickened lining and the bleed. I was on a 2 monthly cycle but reduced to 6-7 weeks now.

I juist wondered how old you are and how far post-meno, and how this worked with your bleeds.? Did you have the Utro vaginally? I ask because if orally that would be way below the dose for a 3 month cycle - since it's the same as licensed for a 4 week cycle orally!!

I presume you are under a private gynae and maybe your lining was checked, or perhpas you were not on this regime long enough for there to be any cause for concern or a scan of your lining?

Glad the Femoston seems to be working for you!

Hurdity x

Cassie

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 07:39:33 PM »

Hurdity do you have the RDA or dosage for orally vs vaginally for the Utro? From what I can gather, P/V is the more direct route and one requires less??

Sarah2

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 09:36:18 PM »

cassie- am sure you will have other answers and don't want to speak out of turn- just another opinion for you-  but my gynae said I could use either route, but as I have a sensitive bladder we agreed oral best- but the quantity is the same.

Hurdity

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 05:55:11 PM »

Hi Cassie

I'm not sure what you mean by RDA and P/V  :-\ !!!

Hurdity x

Cassie

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 05:25:38 AM »

Sorry RDA = Recommended Daily Allowance, ie dosage
P/V = per vagina

Just trying to ascertain if there is a difference in dosage, ie if one needs to take more for longer if using orally or vaginally or if both the same, think someone said that the p/v route was more direct?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 05:27:24 AM by Cassie »
Pages: [1] 2